Missing Scriptaculous classes in Pharo "Seaside-3.1-portable.app"

Missing Scriptaculous classes in Pharo "Seaside-3.1-portable.app"

billgkohl
I am working in Win10 and going through "Dynamic Web Development with Seaside" book using Pharo "Seaside-3.1-portable.app". In Chapter 20.1.2, when  I attempt to add the method below to the ToDoListView class, the classes PTDeploymentLibrary and SUDeploymentLibrary are not found in the image. I  tried using the PTDevelopmentLibrary and SUDevelopmentLibrary classes, but the Scriptaculous effects which should be available in later exercises does not show up. Am I way behind the web development curve in using Scriptaculous and if so what web development environment should I be looking at?

ToDoListView class>>initialize
    (WAAdmin register: self asApplicationAt: 'todo')
        addLibrary: PTDeploymentLibrary;
        addLibrary: SUDeploymentLibrary

William Kohl

Re: Missing Scriptaculous classes in Pharo "Seaside-3.1-portable.app"

Paul DeBruicker
Hi William,

Your image probably doesn't have the Scriptaculous classes loaded.  You can
load them by running the following code in a workspace:

ConfigurationOfSeaside3 project stableVersion load: 'Scriptaculous'

Scriptaculous isn't deprecated but isn't the future.  jQuery has better
support/more active users in Seaside these days.

But in the context of the book I wouldn't worry about the fact that its
using Scriptaculous and instead follow along and focus on learning about how
you're writing/using Javascript for the browser from the Smalltalk image
which will be more generally useful no matter what js library is the hot
stuff now or in the future.  Once you "get" Scriptaculous or jQuery changing
to another for a different project is easy.

Also there is a seaside list here:
join for Seaside specific questions like these.  It is also available on the
http://forum.world.st site.

Hope this helps.

Paul

billgkohl wrote

> I am working in Win10 and going through "Dynamic Web Development with
> Seaside" book using Pharo "Seaside-3.1-portable.app". In Chapter 20.1.2,
> when  I attempt to add the method below to the ToDoListView class, the
> classes PTDeploymentLibrary and SUDeploymentLibrary are not found in the
> image. I  tried using the PTDevelopmentLibrary and SUDevelopmentLibrary
> classes, but the Scriptaculous effects which should be available in later
> exercises does not show up. Am I way behind the web development curve in
> using Scriptaculous and if so what web development environment should I be
> looking at?
>
> ToDoListView class>>initialize
>     (WAAdmin register: self asApplicationAt: 'todo')
>         addLibrary: PTDeploymentLibrary;
>         addLibrary: SUDeploymentLibrary
>
> William Kohl

Re: Missing Scriptaculous classes in Pharo "Seaside-3.1-portable.app"

billgkohl
Thanks for the reply. I executed the line of code you suggested and still no PT or SU Deplotment library. I'm going to look at JQuery.

Bill

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 9:38 PM Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi William,

Your image probably doesn't have the Scriptaculous classes loaded.  You can
load them by running the following code in a workspace:

ConfigurationOfSeaside3 project stableVersion load: 'Scriptaculous'

Scriptaculous isn't deprecated but isn't the future.  jQuery has better
support/more active users in Seaside these days.

But in the context of the book I wouldn't worry about the fact that its
using Scriptaculous and instead follow along and focus on learning about how
you're writing/using Javascript for the browser from the Smalltalk image
which will be more generally useful no matter what js library is the hot
stuff now or in the future.  Once you "get" Scriptaculous or jQuery changing
to another for a different project is easy.

Also there is a seaside list here:
join for Seaside specific questions like these.  It is also available on the
http://forum.world.st site.

Hope this helps.

Paul

billgkohl wrote
> I am working in Win10 and going through "Dynamic Web Development with
> Seaside" book using Pharo "Seaside-3.1-portable.app". In Chapter 20.1.2,
> when  I attempt to add the method below to the ToDoListView class, the
> classes PTDeploymentLibrary and SUDeploymentLibrary are not found in the
> image. I  tried using the PTDevelopmentLibrary and SUDevelopmentLibrary
> classes, but the Scriptaculous effects which should be available in later
> exercises does not show up. Am I way behind the web development curve in
> using Scriptaculous and if so what web development environment should I be
> looking at?
>
> ToDoListView class>>initialize
>     (WAAdmin register: self asApplicationAt: 'todo')
>         addLibrary: PTDeploymentLibrary;
>         addLibrary: SUDeploymentLibrary
>
> William Kohl

Re: Missing Scriptaculous classes in Pharo "Seaside-3.1-portable.app"

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Bill,

If you've loaded the Scriptaculous group then maybe the thing to do is see
if the SUDevelopmentLibrary exists in the image and if so change the
references from the  PTDeploymentLibrary & SUDeploymentLibrary to the
PTDevelopmentLibrary & SUDevelopmentLibrary  They'll be functionally
equivalent, and are included in the Prototype-Core & Scriptaculous-Core
packages respectively.

The XXDeploymentLibrary classes used to refer to the reference
implementations hosted on the developer site IIRC.  I forget.

Paul

billgkohl wrote