Missing VMMaker repo in Pharo 6

K K Subbu
Hi,

I couldn't find the http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker repo in Monticello
Browser list of repos. I have to add it to the downloaded image every
time to work with VM :-(.

Is there any specific reason for not including it by default in Pharo 6
(60465).

Regards .. Subbu

Re: Missing VMMaker repo in Pharo 6

CyrilFerlicot
Le 17/04/2017 à 11:22, K K Subbu a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I couldn't find the http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker repo in Monticello
> Browser list of repos. I have to add it to the downloaded image every
> time to work with VM :-(.
>
> Is there any specific reason for not including it by default in Pharo 6
> (60465).
>
> Regards .. Subbu

Hi!

You can add it via a setting.

To do it just execute this in Pharo:

StartupPreferencesLoader default
                addAtStartupInGeneralPreferenceFolder:
                        {(StartupAction
                                name: 'Add my repository'
                                code: [ MCRepositoryGroup default addRepository:
(MCSqueaksourceRepository location: 'http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker') ]
                                runOnce: true)}

Note that you can also add your credentials with:

StartupPreferencesLoader default
                addAtStartupInGeneralPreferenceFolder:
                        {(StartupAction
                                name: 'Add my repository'
                                code: [ MCRepositoryGroup default addRepository:
(MCSqueaksourceRepository location: 'http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker'
user: 'user' password: 'password') ]
                                runOnce: true)}

What will this do? It will create a new .st file in the preferences
folder (Find his location at StartupPreferencesLoader
preferencesGeneralFolder).

This .st file will be executed each time you launch an image for the
first time.

If you don't want the settings to be loaded you can add the argument
--no-default-preferences to the command line.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

On Monday 17 April 2017 11:52 PM, Cyril Ferlicot D. wrote:

> StartupPreferencesLoader default
> addAtStartupInGeneralPreferenceFolder:
> {(StartupAction
> name: 'Add my repository'
> code: [ MCRepositoryGroup default addRepository:
> (MCSqueaksourceRepository location: 'http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker') ]
> runOnce: true)}

Thank you for this nice tip. I was just curious about why this repo was
omitted from the built-in repos in a released image? Is VMMaker not a
supported package for Pharo?

pharo-vm use of generator.image to build vmmaker is really neat. If
systemtracer is also integrated into generator.image, then we could
build a single static binary bootstrapper (like busybox on Linux) that
can be scripted to cross-compile both vm and image.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: Missing VMMaker repo in Pharo 6

Ben Coman

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 1:57 PM, K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Monday 17 April 2017 11:52 PM, Cyril Ferlicot D. wrote:

StartupPreferencesLoader default
                addAtStartupInGeneralPreferenceFolder:
                        {(StartupAction
                                name: 'Add my repository'
                                code: [ MCRepositoryGroup default addRepository:
(MCSqueaksourceRepository location: 'http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker') ]
                                runOnce: true)}

Thank you for this nice tip. I was just curious about why this repo was omitted from the built-in repos in a released image? Is VMMaker not a supported package for Pharo?

Pharo is not delivered with VMMaker built-in / pre-loaded. So neither is its repo built-in.
VMMaker is not relevant to most users, and it has no priority over 100s of user packages.
All the repos you see built-in are actually components delivered built-into Pharo.

btw, AFAIK the VM Simulator doesn't work on Pharo - though I'm not sure anyone has had a serious look at it.
The main vm-devs and the OpenSmalltalk CI builds work on top of Squeak.

cheers -ben

Re: Missing VMMaker repo in Pharo 6

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Ben,

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 12:03 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

We think the simulator does work on Pharo.  At least at some point it did work.  Remember all the agony with the transcript not updating after flush?  That was the VM simulator wanting to produce output to the transcript.

And the VMMaker Smalltalk-to-C Slang output does work.  Esteban is using it to generate test builds after every commit for travisci.

What I /don't/ want to see is the VMMaker repo split.  It should remain at source.squeak.org/VMMaker' and be a conventional Monticello HTTP repository.

best, Eliot