Missing network primitive

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Hi,

While working on OCEAN (yes, yes, we're still working on it :-) we have an annoying issue.
We have some netname resolver tests that do work with the Squeak Mac VM 5.8, but they are not working in the Mac Cog VMs.

This is because the  following primitives are missing at the VM side. Still, they are useful cause they allow getting addresses of all network interfaces of your machine.

primitiveResolverGetAddressInfo
primitiveResolverGetAddressInfoSize
primitiveResolverGetAddressInfoResult
primitiveResolverGetNameInfo
primitiveResolverGetNameInfoHostSize
primitiveResolverGetNameInfoHostResult
primitiveResolverGetAddressInfoNext

There are methods defined in the old NetNameResolver (class side) that call these primitives, but they are NOT referenced.
primGetAddressInfoHost:service:flags:family:type:protocol:
primGetAddressInfoSize
primGetAddressInfoResult:
primGetNameInfo:flags:
primGetNameInfoHostSize
primGetNameInfoHostResult:
primGetAddressInfoNext

We checked the SqueakVM SVN, and they are there in the SocketPlugin.c
Why didn't they get introduced in Mac CogVM?
Are there missing for other platforms too?

Luc and Noury
--
http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi

Re: Missing network primitive

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011, Noury Bouraqadi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While working on OCEAN (yes, yes, we're still working on it :-) we have an annoying issue.
> We have some netname resolver tests that do work with the Squeak Mac VM 5.8, but they are not working in the Mac Cog VMs.
>
> This is because the  following primitives are missing at the VM side. Still, they are useful cause they allow getting addresses of all network interfaces of your machine.
>
> primitiveResolverGetAddressInfo
> primitiveResolverGetAddressInfoSize
> primitiveResolverGetAddressInfoResult
> primitiveResolverGetNameInfo
> primitiveResolverGetNameInfoHostSize
> primitiveResolverGetNameInfoHostResult
> primitiveResolverGetAddressInfoNext
>

> There are methods defined in the old NetNameResolver (class side) that call these primitives, but they are NOT referenced.
> primGetAddressInfoHost:service:flags:family:type:protocol:
> primGetAddressInfoSize
> primGetAddressInfoResult:
> primGetNameInfo:flags:
> primGetNameInfoHostSize
> primGetNameInfoHostResult:
> primGetAddressInfoNext
>
> We checked the SqueakVM SVN, and they are there in the SocketPlugin.c
> Why didn't they get introduced in Mac CogVM?
> Are there missing for other platforms too?

Yes they are, CogVM was forked before these were added to SqueakVM.

Levente

> Luc and Noury
> --
> http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi