Mondrian error

Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez
Hi Alex,

I have already planned to migrate my tools to use Roassal...
But for now I have to use what we have with Mondrian because we are preparing an evaluation on our tool in Pharo1.4.

I suddenly have a problem that I do not know to detect
I draw a map with dominanceTreeLayout or forcedBaseLayout.
When the layout is dominanceTreeLayout I am getting the red rectangle with the cross. Sometimes i get it immediately or sometimes I see part of the visualization and when i move the scrollbars the red rectangle appears.

How can I debug that?, I haven't changed my code and I have no idea what is failing now
if I open the same visualization with forcedBaseLayout it works fine.

Regards,
Veronica

Re: Mondrian error

abergel
Hi Veronica,

Debugging visualization is a bit tricky, mainly because of a heretic behavior of Morphic. Your image did not freeze so you should be happy :-)

The best way to debug a visualization, is to render the visualization in a bitmap, instead of having it on screen. For example, if your visualization is:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
| view |
view := MOViewRenderer new.
view shape rectangle width: [ :e | 100 / e ].
view nodes: (0 to: 20).

view open
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

then replace the last #open with:
        view root applyLayout.
        view getRenderedForm

So, the debuggable script should be:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
| view |
view := MOViewRenderer new.
view shape rectangle width: [ :e | 100 / e ].
view nodes: (0 to: 20).

view root applyLayout.
view getRenderedForm
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

If your visualization is buggy, then you will get a debugger. If nothing appears, it means there is no bug.
The same trick has to be used for Roassal generated visualization.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Sep 20, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> I have already planned to migrate my tools to use Roassal...
> But for now I have to use what we have with Mondrian because we are preparing an evaluation on our tool in Pharo1.4.
>
> I suddenly have a problem that I do not know to detect
> I draw a map with dominanceTreeLayout or forcedBaseLayout.
> When the layout is dominanceTreeLayout I am getting the red rectangle with the cross. Sometimes i get it immediately or sometimes I see part of the visualization and when i move the scrollbars the red rectangle appears.
>
> How can I debug that?, I haven't changed my code and I have no idea what is failing now
> if I open the same visualization with forcedBaseLayout it works fine.
>
> Regards,
> Veronica

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

debugging usability for Roassal Re: Re: Mondrian error

Ben Coman
Nice trick.  I hit some similar problems with Roassal showing a Red Square rather than opening a debugger - which is a good versus the image being overrun by debugger windows.  However it appears that #getRenderedForm is not available with Rossal. Can similar be made to work with ROView?

A couple of related ideas...
1. Using a method like #debugOpen would be easier to remember than #getRenderedForm.
2. Alternatively, perhaps if the developer clicked on the Red Square this would open just-one debugger at the last point of failure.

cheers, Ben

Alexandre Bergel wrote:
[...]

Re: debugging usability for Roassal Re: Re: Mondrian error

abergel
> Nice trick.  I hit some similar problems with Roassal showing a Red Square rather than opening a debugger - which is a good versus the image being overrun by debugger windows.  However it appears that #getRenderedForm is not available with Rossal. Can similar be made to work with ROView?

In Roassal, you have to send #bitmap to a view (#getRenderedForm is for Mondrian).

> A couple of related ideas...
> 1. Using a method like #debugOpen would be easier to remember than #getRenderedForm.

And #bitmap?

> 2. Alternatively, perhaps if the developer clicked on the Red Square this would open just-one debugger at the last point of failure.

We are now entering the Morphic's lair.

Alexandre

> Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>> Hi Veronica,
>>
>> Debugging visualization is a bit tricky, mainly because of a heretic behavior of Morphic. Your image did not freeze so you should be happy :-)
>>
>> The best way to debug a visualization, is to render the visualization in a bitmap, instead of having it on screen. For example, if your visualization is:
>>
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>> | view |
>> view := MOViewRenderer new.
>> view shape rectangle width: [ :e | 100 / e ].
>> view nodes: (0 to: 20).
>>
>> view open
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>
>> then replace the last #open with:
>> view root applyLayout.
>> view getRenderedForm
>>
>> So, the debuggable script should be:
>>
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>> | view |
>> view := MOViewRenderer new.
>> view shape rectangle width: [ :e | 100 / e ].
>> view nodes: (0 to: 20).
>>
>> view root applyLayout.
>> view getRenderedForm
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>
>> If your visualization is buggy, then you will get a debugger. If nothing appears, it means there is no bug.
>> The same trick has to be used for Roassal generated visualization.
>>
>> Let me know how it goes.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On Sep 20, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez
>> <[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Alex,
>>>
>>> I have already planned to migrate my tools to use Roassal...
>>> But for now I have to use what we have with Mondrian because we are preparing an evaluation on our tool in Pharo1.4.
>>>
>>> I suddenly have a problem that I do not know to detect
>>> I draw a map with dominanceTreeLayout or forcedBaseLayout.
>>> When the layout is dominanceTreeLayout I am getting the red rectangle with the cross. Sometimes i get it immediately or sometimes I see part of the visualization and when i move the scrollbars the red rectangle appears.
>>>
>>> How can I debug that?, I haven't changed my code and I have no idea what is failing now
>>> if I open the same visualization with forcedBaseLayout it works fine.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Veronica

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Mondrian error

one day we should all sit with igor because he is always developing everything with a single image and
even when he get a red rectangle he can continue nicely to work on graphical and other stuff.

On Sep 20, 2012, at 5:24 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi Veronica,
>
> Debugging visualization is a bit tricky, mainly because of a heretic behavior of Morphic. Your image did not freeze so you should be happy :-)
>
> The best way to debug a visualization, is to render the visualization in a bitmap, instead of having it on screen. For example, if your visualization is:
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> | view |
> view := MOViewRenderer new.
> view shape rectangle width: [ :e | 100 / e ].
> view nodes: (0 to: 20).
>
> view open
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> then replace the last #open with:
> view root applyLayout.
> view getRenderedForm
>
> So, the debuggable script should be:
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> | view |
> view := MOViewRenderer new.
> view shape rectangle width: [ :e | 100 / e ].
> view nodes: (0 to: 20).
>
> view root applyLayout.
> view getRenderedForm
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> If your visualization is buggy, then you will get a debugger. If nothing appears, it means there is no bug.
> The same trick has to be used for Roassal generated visualization.
>
> Let me know how it goes.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On Sep 20, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> I have already planned to migrate my tools to use Roassal...
>> But for now I have to use what we have with Mondrian because we are preparing an evaluation on our tool in Pharo1.4.
>>
>> I suddenly have a problem that I do not know to detect
>> I draw a map with dominanceTreeLayout or forcedBaseLayout.
>> When the layout is dominanceTreeLayout I am getting the red rectangle with the cross. Sometimes i get it immediately or sometimes I see part of the visualization and when i move the scrollbars the red rectangle appears.
>>
>> How can I debug that?, I haven't changed my code and I have no idea what is failing now
>> if I open the same visualization with forcedBaseLayout it works fine.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Veronica

Re: Mondrian error

Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez
Hi Alex,

I followed your suggestion, and I got the debugger (see screenshot attached)
The error appears when using the dominanceTreeLayout... But the visualization hasn't changed, so I have not clue what is the problem.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Veronica

On 20 Sep 2012, at 17:24, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi Veronica,
>
> Debugging visualization is a bit tricky, mainly because of a heretic behavior of Morphic. Your image did not freeze so you should be happy :-)
>
> The best way to debug a visualization, is to render the visualization in a bitmap, instead of having it on screen. For example, if your visualization is:
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> | view |
> view := MOViewRenderer new.
> view shape rectangle width: [ :e | 100 / e ].
> view nodes: (0 to: 20).
>
> view open
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> then replace the last #open with:
> view root applyLayout.
> view getRenderedForm
>
> So, the debuggable script should be:
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> | view |
> view := MOViewRenderer new.
> view shape rectangle width: [ :e | 100 / e ].
> view nodes: (0 to: 20).
>
> view root applyLayout.
> view getRenderedForm
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> If your visualization is buggy, then you will get a debugger. If nothing appears, it means there is no bug.
> The same trick has to be used for Roassal generated visualization.
>
> Let me know how it goes.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On Sep 20, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> I have already planned to migrate my tools to use Roassal...
>> But for now I have to use what we have with Mondrian because we are preparing an evaluation on our tool in Pharo1.4.
>>
>> I suddenly have a problem that I do not know to detect
>> I draw a map with dominanceTreeLayout or forcedBaseLayout.
>> When the layout is dominanceTreeLayout I am getting the red rectangle with the cross. Sometimes i get it immediately or sometimes I see part of the visualization and when i move the scrollbars the red rectangle appears.
>>
>> How can I debug that?, I haven't changed my code and I have no idea what is failing now
>> if I open the same visualization with forcedBaseLayout it works fine.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Veronica

error-mondrian.png (45K) Download Attachment

Re: Mondrian error

abergel
I see where the problem comes from. I've just committed a new version of Mondrian.
Update Mondrian and let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Sep 27, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> But for now I have to use what we have with Mondrian because we are preparing an evaluation on our tool in Pharo1.4.
>>>
>>> I suddenly have a problem that I do not know to detect
>>> I draw a map with dominanceTreeLayout or forcedBaseLayout.
>>> When the layout is dominanceTreeLayout I am getting the red rectangle with the cross. Sometimes i get it immediately or sometimes I see part of the visualization and when i move the scrollbars the red rectangle appears.
>>>
>>> How can I debug that?, I haven't changed my code and I have no idea what is failing now
>>> if I open the same visualization with forcedBaseLayout it works fine.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Veronica

>> --
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu