Mondrian question

123

Re: Mondrian question

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jun 20, 2011, at 3:28 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 20 Jun 2011, at 15:11, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:
>

>> Guys,
>>
>> For what it is worth, may I suggest that this discussion is going nowhere?
>> If each one keeps repeating the same argument this is going to be a very long argument with nasty side effects (not on the software).
>
> I do not mean to annoy anyone. I actually thought we were actually making progress (no joke). I think we are all trying to explain what we think, but I think there is a mismatch in the points of view, and somehow it just does not seem to come out right :)

sure

> I am interested in getting it right, because it can produce a nice documentation, or it might uncover some other solutions.
>
>> Now, may be the problem is that the "input to Mondrian are not nodes & edges"?
>> Because it is based on a graph model and we do use it to represent graphs, so naturally, one expects to use it that way ...
>> The next questions are: What does it use as input? And why is it not just plain edges&nodes?
>
> Because you do not always have a natural set of edges in your entity model. For example, in Smalltalk, there is no object that represents inheritance, and yet you would want to represent inheritance as an edge visually. Visually :). So, to do that, you will take the class as the model of the edge and draw the edge from that class to the #superclass.

sure but do not called it just edges: but generateEdgesFrom:

> Now, if you do have an object that represents a relationship, then by all means use it as the model behind the edge. For example, for the same example of inheritance, in FAMIX we would use FAMIXInheritance.
>
> In other cases, you have only relations without natural nodes. For example, if you have a collection of mails that have senders and receivers as strings, the mail is a relation, but the nodes need to be constructed.
>
> The idea of Mondrian is to not limit the possibility of visualizing to only graph models. That is why you have blocks as transformations.

Yes
We know all that :)

>> I think, that the answer "The input are only entities which can be anything" is not satisfying because users will naturally be thinking in terms of what they want to see in the end: nodes&edges
>
> How is it now?

The same. This is about the mental model of the person that sit and try.

> nicolas
>>
>> PS: By the way, the buggy comment is mine, I proposed it when first trying to understand how things worked. I, also, did not find it very intuitive that edges: does not simply take a collection of edges as parameter.
>
> No problem :)
>
> Doru
>

>>> I am repeating for the n-th time: The input to Mondrian are not nodes
>>> & edges. The input are only entities which can be anything. The engine
>>> simply provides a means to transform your entities into nodes and
>>> edges.
>>>
>>> Take this point of view, and you will see that it becomes consistent
>>> :)
>>>
>>> You keep on repeating that you are passing nodes to the edges:, but
>>> you are not. You are always passing some entities from which the edges
>>> are to be constructed. That is all. It just happens that you choose to
>>> use the same entity as a model for both an node and an edge. It is
>>> clear that if there is no easy mapping between the entity model and
>>> the graph model, the script can become cumbersome.
>>>
>>> Let's take your example:
>>> view node: 'node' forIt: [
>>> view interaction
>>> whenEnteringUpdateNode: [ :aValue |
>>> view edges: {aValue} from: #yourself toAll: ((1 to: 9) copyWithout:
>>> aValue ) ].
>>>
>>> view shape rectangle size: 30.
>>> view nodes: (1 to: 9).
>>> view gridLayout gapSize: 10.
>>>
>>> First, this example is not instructive because it takes several
>>> shortcuts, but let's just focus on aValue.
>>>
>>> In your script, aValue is the value behind the node, not the node. The
>>> node is another object. Then you use it also as the model for the edge
>>> because you do not have anything else. So, you will have the same
>>> aValue object used both for creating the node and for creating the
>>> edge.
>>>
>>> So, a method like
>>> buildEdgesFromVertices: nodes fromAccessor: aValuable toAccessor:
>>> aValuable
>>> is wrong in the context of Mondrian, because it uses the wrong
>>> vocabulary.
>>>
>>> How is that? :)
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: Mondrian question

On Jun 20, 2011, at 3:38 PM, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

> It might be clearer now.
> May be the problem is that what would seem a "normal case" is considered equal to the "exception" ?
>
> May be an acceptable solution would be to consider "you do not have a natural set of edges in your entity model" as an exception and make a special method for that (edges:from:to: with another name), and consider that the normal case is that one does have entities for the edges?

not sure it will work. :) I would have to really understand it first.
but edges: from: to: is conceptually problematic compared to nodes:

and I fully understand what doru is saying. Yes I can understand now with all my cleverness but my raw stef does not because edges: is not nodes:

Stef

> nicoals

abergel
For example:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        | renderer node1 node2 edge |
        renderer := MORenderer new.
        node1 := renderer node on: 'hello'.
        node2 := renderer node on: 'world'.

        edge := renderer edge from: node1 to: node2.

        renderer addNodes: {node1 . node2}.
        renderer addEdge: edge.

        renderer layout horizontalLine.
        renderer element applyLayout.
        renderer open
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The result is:

Another example:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        renderer := MORenderer new.
        node1 := renderer node on: 'hello'.
        triangleShape := renderer shape triangle.
        triangleShape width: [ :v | v size * 10 ].
        triangleShape height: [ :v | v size * 20 ].
        node1 shape: triangleShape.

        node2 := renderer node on: 'world'.
        node2 shape: (circleShape := renderer shape ellipse).

        edge := renderer edge from: node1 to: node2.
        renderer layout horizontalLine.
        renderer element applyLayout.

        renderer addNodes: {node1 . node2}.
        renderer addEdge: edge.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The result is:

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 20 Jun 2011, at 09:40, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2011, at 3:03 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> The package MondrianNew in the squeaksource repository of Mondrian contains a bunch of classes we quickly defined:
>> MORenderer>>
>> addEdge:
>> addEdges:
>> addNode:
>> addNodes:
>>
>> MOEdgeFactory>>
>> from:to:
>>
>> MONodeFactory>>
>> on:
>

> How should use that?
> Do you have examples?
>
> Stef
>

>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On 19 Jun 2011, at 17:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> That would be interesting to look at.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Live like you mean it."

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Screen shot 2011-06-20 at 09.48.18.png (3K) Download Attachment
Screen shot 2011-06-20 at 09.47.47.png (9K) Download Attachment

Re: Mondrian question

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jun 20, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> For example:
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> | renderer node1 node2 edge |
> renderer := MORenderer new.
> node1 := renderer node on: 'hello'.
                                                for: may be better?
> node2 := renderer node on: 'world'.
>
> edge := renderer edge from: node1 to: node2.
>
> renderer addNodes: {node1 . node2}.
> renderer addEdge: edge.

Now this is true that this is a bit strange to have to add explicit nodes and edges

> renderer layout horizontalLine.
> renderer element applyLayout.
> renderer open
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> The result is:
> <Screen shot 2011-06-20 at 09.48.18.png>
>
> Another example:
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> renderer := MORenderer new.
> node1 := renderer node on: 'hello'.
> triangleShape := renderer shape triangle.
> triangleShape width: [ :v | v size * 10 ].
> triangleShape height: [ :v | v size * 20 ].
> node1 shape: triangleShape.
>
> node2 := renderer node on: 'world'.
> node2 shape: (circleShape := renderer shape ellipse).
>
> edge := renderer edge from: node1 to: node2.
> renderer layout horizontalLine.
> renderer element applyLayout.
>
> renderer addNodes: {node1 . node2}.
> renderer addEdge: edge.
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> The result is:
> <Screen shot 2011-06-20 at 09.47.47.png>
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On 20 Jun 2011, at 09:40, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On Jun 20, 2011, at 3:03 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> The package MondrianNew in the squeaksource repository of Mondrian contains a bunch of classes we quickly defined:
>>> MORenderer>>
>>> addEdge:
>>> addEdges:
>>> addNode:
>>> addNodes:
>>>
>>> MOEdgeFactory>>
>>> from:to:
>>>
>>> MONodeFactory>>
>>> on:
>>

>> How should use that?
>> Do you have examples?
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre

>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: Mondrian question

jfabry

Better late reply than never reply: Alex and I did not continue with this due to time constraints. Too much things that need to be done ''now'' to be able to make time for long-term stuff :-( I would like to continue with that. Maybe we could all sit down at a table at ESUG and talk this through?

On 19 Jun 2011, at 12:19, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> For what it is worth: While I was in Chile last year Alexandre, Johan
> and I designed and (I think) partly implemented an alternative
> Mondrian API. The idea was to avoid these multi-argument selectors
> (like in the Seaside API) and have it much more composable and
> uniform. Not sure what happened with that?
>
> Lukas
>
> On 19 June 2011 14:37, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I will do :)
>>> I will begin to work on Moose, on tuesday.
>>> I want also to work on DSM.
>>
>> Great!
>>
>> Keep us posted. I will open another thread about DSM.
>>
>> Doru
>>

>>> Jannik

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "We are all great at making mistakes."

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

123