Mondrian saving and reloading a layout

Ben Coman
In Mondrian I can drag nodes around the layout to make a more pleasing
graph.  Is there a mechanism built in to facilitate saving and later
reloading the layout of a graph ?  Or where should I look into to system
to implement this?

-cheers, Ben

Re: Mondrian saving and reloading a layout

Tudor Girba-2
This is a long lasting item in the wish list, and it would be great to have support for a custom layout.

Essentially, you would need to create a layout by traversing the existing graph, and storing the bounds of the nodes.

Cheers,
Doru

On 25 Mar 2012, at 18:30, Ben Coman wrote:

> In Mondrian I can drag nodes around the layout to make a more pleasing graph.  Is there a mechanism built in to facilitate saving and later reloading the layout of a graph ?  Or where should I look into to system to implement this?
>
> -cheers, Ben

www.tudorgirba.com

"To utilize feedback, you first have to acquire it."

Re: Mondrian saving and reloading a layout

Tudor Girba-2
What cache?

Doru

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alternatively, what about saving/reinstating the cache?
>

> Tudor Girba wrote:
>
> This is a long lasting item in the wish list, and it would be great to have
> support for a custom layout.
>
> Essentially, you would need to create a layout by traversing the existing
> graph, and storing the bounds of the nodes.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 25 Mar 2012, at 18:30, Ben Coman wrote:
>

> In Mondrian I can drag nodes around the layout to make a more pleasing
> graph.  Is there a mechanism built in to facilitate saving and later
> reloading the layout of a graph ?  Or where should I look into to system to
> implement this?
>
> -cheers, Ben

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To utilize feedback, you first have to acquire it."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Mondrian saving and reloading a layout

abergel
Hi Ben,

This is currently not supported. Actually, you can only export a graph (as html or a .png). But there is no way to load it back.

Implementing this should not be difficult. If you want to implement this, then I would however encourage you to do it with Roassal [*]
Not only Roassal does what Mondrian does, but its code is simpler and it has a much better support for interaction.

I plan to release Roassal by the end of April. I am full of deadlines until then (that is also why I am quite slow on replying email).

Cheers,
Alexandre

[*] http://squeaksource.com/Roassal.html

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Mondrian saving and reloading a layout

Ben Coman
An assumption on my part from seeing...

+ applyLayout method of MONode and MORoot both calling...
    self resetMetricCachesRecursively.

+ Finder filtered for Mondrian packages only and searching for 'cache' brings up a lot of results.

+ Finder filtered for Mondrian packages only and searching for 'reset' brings up a several results related to cache.

+ Instance variables cacheFromPoint, cacheToPoint, boundsCache, cacheShapeBounds, elementsToDisplayCache, elementsToLookup, cacheForm
for classes MONode, MOEdge and others

Tudor Girba wrote:

This is a long lasting item in the wish list, and it would be great to have
support for a custom layout.

Essentially, you would need to create a layout by traversing the existing
graph, and storing the bounds of the nodes.

Cheers,
Doru

On 25 Mar 2012, at 18:30, Ben Coman wrote:

In Mondrian I can drag nodes around the layout to make a more pleasing
graph.  Is there a mechanism built in to facilitate saving and later
reloading the layout of a graph ?  Or where should I look into to system to
implement this?

-cheers, Ben

www.tudorgirba.com

"To utilize feedback, you first have to acquire it."

Re: Mondrian saving and reloading a layout

abergel
I am not sure to fiddle that much with the caches.
You can simply ask to a node its #bounds

Feel free to improve the xml export facilities to include the #bounds of each node.
An importer is then trivial to do.

Alexandre

Tudor Girba wrote:

This is a long lasting item in the wish list, and it would be great to have
support for a custom layout.

Essentially, you would need to create a layout by traversing the existing
graph, and storing the bounds of the nodes.

Cheers,
Doru

On 25 Mar 2012, at 18:30, Ben Coman wrote:

In Mondrian I can drag nodes around the layout to make a more pleasing
graph.  Is there a mechanism built in to facilitate saving and later
reloading the layout of a graph ?  Or where should I look into to system to
implement this?

-cheers, Ben

www.tudorgirba.com

"To utilize feedback, you first have to acquire it."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Mondrian saving and reloading a layout

Tudor Girba-2
+1

Doru