Money units

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi there,

    has anybody tried to use the Units package from squeak map for monetary values?

    I'm trying this Units package and the Avi Bryant's Money package I've found in squeaksource

    any general tips for dealing with currencies?

    thanks,

Sebastian Sastre

Re: Money units

timrowledge

On 6-Nov-07, at 8:31 AM, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>     has anybody tried to use the Units package from squeak map for
> monetary values?
>
>     I'm trying this Units package and the Avi Bryant's Money package
> I've found in squeaksource
>
>     any general tips for dealing with currencies?
It's a particularly tricky problem since the relative values change
frequently, rapidly and chaotically; honestly I would prefer to claim
that money is not really a Unit in any meaningful way. Units are
really defined values with defined relationships to other derived and
founding units. Currency is a medium of exchange with variable ratios.

tim
MIPS:  Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed.

Re: Money units

Ignacio Vivona-2
look at Aconcagua in squeaksource

On 11/6/07, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 6-Nov-07, at 8:31 AM, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>     has anybody tried to use the Units package from squeak map for
> monetary values?
>
>     I'm trying this Units package and the Avi Bryant's Money package
> I've found in squeaksource
>
>     any general tips for dealing with currencies?
It's a particularly tricky problem since the relative values change
frequently, rapidly and chaotically; honestly I would prefer to claim
that money is not really a Unit in any meaningful way. Units are
really defined values with defined relationships to other derived and
founding units. Currency is a medium of exchange with variable ratios.

tim
MIPS:  Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed.

Re: Money units

hernan.wilkinson
We use Aconcagua as the base measure model for our financial applications.

Hernan.

--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; <a href="http://www.rowledge.org/tim" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://www.rowledge.org/tim
MIPS:  Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed.

RE: Money units

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hey Hernán!

    che está buenísimo! sorry...  I'm on it now and actually seems very very promising. I've created a measure of some money by squared metter of a custom material. This is what I needed. Awsome

    thanks !

Sebastian Sastre

PS: can you please send me the “Arithmetic with Measurements on Dynamically-Typed Object-Oriented Languages” pdf? also any other related paper/s?

tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; <A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.rowledge.org/tim" target=_blank>http://www.rowledge.org/tim
MIPS:  Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed.

RE: Money units

Sebastian Sastre-2
> It's a particularly tricky problem since the relative values
> change frequently, rapidly and chaotically; honestly I would
> prefer to claim that money is not really a Unit in any
> meaningful way. Units are really defined values with defined
> relationships to other derived and founding units. Currency
> is a medium of exchange with variable ratios.
>
> tim
> --
Hi Tim,

        well regardeless of it's unpredictable nature, money, as medium of
exchange measure unit it still *is* a unit. So I don't see why to evade
that.

        But I concur with you about complexities in the relationships and
(worse yet) it's historic values. Concretely I don't need (by now)
historical or multicurrency features so I'm ecouraged to use it as unit. But
if for any reason I do, I think I will have to do something regardeless
money it's a simple value or a unit. I think I'll still prefer money as a
unit.

        cheers,

Sebastian

Re: Money units

hernan.wilkinson
The idea of aconcagua is to represent any kind of measure. All our financial math is based on it... for example an interest rate is an instance of InterestRate (not included in Aconcagua) that is a subclass of Evaluation (at the begging called Formula) that is polimorphic with any other measure. That way all the financial formulas are reified and they can participate in any math operation with other measures, evaluations or even numbers... (measures and numbers are polimorphic also). Let me know if you have any problem.

I'll send you the paper...

Bye
Hernan.