Monitoring how many users are logged in to a Seaside application...?

Monitoring how many users are logged in to a Seaside application...?

Rick Flower
I was just thinking that it would be nice to know how many (and if any)
people
are connected to a particular Seaside web-app from an admin point of view..

However, I'm not sure this is something that Seaside can know since larger
sites frequently will have multiple Squeak/VW images running and doing load
balancing and each instance of Squeak/VW will have N users logged in..

Do others do this somehow or is this just something that people aren't
interested in?

Obviously scanning the Apache logs would reveal usage info but it would need
to be postprocessed into a usable format..

Anyway, it just popped in my head and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask..

Re: Monitoring how many users are logged in to a Seaside application...?

Randal L. Schwartz

Rick> I was just thinking that it would be nice to know how many (and if any)
Rick> people
Rick> are connected to a particular Seaside web-app from an admin point of view..

People aren't "connected".  They make correlated hits.

There is no interaction between hits.  And you cannot possibly
know if I'm still looking at the same page, about to make another hit,
or not.

So, what do *you* mean by "logged in"?

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

RE: Monitoring how many users are logged in to a Seasideapplication...?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
He probably just wants to count all sessions that hadn't expired either
by virtue of enough time passing or someone hitting the logout button.

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header.
Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and
confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
and delete the entire message including any attachments.

Thank you.

Rick> I was just thinking that it would be nice to know how many (and if

Rick> any) people are connected to a particular Seaside web-app from an
Rick> admin point of view..

People aren't "connected".  They make correlated hits.

There is no interaction between hits.  And you cannot possibly know if
I'm still looking at the same page, about to make another hit, or not.

So, what do *you* mean by "logged in"?

--
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777
0095 <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside
discussion _______________________________________________

RE: Monitoring how many users are logged in to a Seasideapplication...?

Rick Flower
Thanks for the clarification guys.. I guess I chose a poor set of
words.. Ideally, I guess it would be nice to know the current
overall session count (across all Squeak/VW instances) and that sort
of thing.. Ultimately, this sounds like something perhaps only
Apache might have some visibility into since it works as the virtual
traffic cop of sorts.. I guess you could write a script to ping each
Squeak/VW instance and ask it how many sessions its chewing on..?

Hmm.. Obviously something I'll have to think about further.. (8->

-- Rick

On Thu, January 29, 2009 1:19 pm, Boris Popov wrote:

> He probably just wants to count all sessions that hadn't expired either
> by virtue of enough time passing or someone hitting the logout button.
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4
>
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header.
> Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and
> confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
> and delete the entire message including any attachments.
>
> Thank you.

Julian Fitzell-2
Yeah, I've never seen a solution posted for that, though obviously you
could easily roll your own: just implement a simple request handler
that answers every request with the current number of sessions and
then, as you say, ping that periodically with a script.

I've occasionally thought of trying to get SNMP working with
Squeak/Seaside which would definitely be able to provide this sort of
information but it's never come high enough up my priority list (and
would be overkill for the simple piece of information you're looking
for).

Julian

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Rick Flower <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification guys.. I guess I chose a poor set of
> words.. Ideally, I guess it would be nice to know the current
> overall session count (across all Squeak/VW instances) and that sort
> of thing.. Ultimately, this sounds like something perhaps only
> Apache might have some visibility into since it works as the virtual
> traffic cop of sorts.. I guess you could write a script to ping each
> Squeak/VW instance and ask it how many sessions its chewing on..?
>
> Hmm.. Obviously something I'll have to think about further.. (8->
>
> -- Rick
>
> On Thu, January 29, 2009 1:19 pm, Boris Popov wrote:
>> He probably just wants to count all sessions that hadn't expired either
>> by virtue of enough time passing or someone hitting the logout button.
>>
>> -Boris
>>
>> --
>> +1.604.689.0322
>> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
>> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
>> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4
>>
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>
>> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header.
>> Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and
>> confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
>> and delete the entire message including any attachments.
>>
>> Thank you.

Philippe Marschall
2009/1/29 Rick Flower <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks for the clarification guys.. I guess I chose a poor set of
> words.. Ideally, I guess it would be nice to know the current
> overall session count (across all Squeak/VW instances) and that sort
> of thing.. Ultimately, this sounds like something perhaps only
> Apache might have some visibility into since it works as the virtual
> traffic cop of sorts..

Apache doesn't know about Seaside sessions.

Cheers
Philippe

On Fri, January 30, 2009 3:46 am, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Apache doesn't know about Seaside sessions.

True- - but it does know who its sending connections to and perhaps that
might be good enough..

2009/1/30 Rick Flower <[hidden email]>:
> On Fri, January 30, 2009 3:46 am, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
>> Apache doesn't know about Seaside sessions.
>
> True- - but it does know who its sending connections to and perhaps that
> might be good enough..

Nope, it doesn't store it (in memory) and doesn't have enough
contextual information to make sense of it. The closest is:
http://www.apache.org/server-status

Cheers
Philippe

RE: Monitoring how many users are logged in to a Seasideapplication...?

Sebastian Sastre-2
Besides apache will never know when the Seaside session expires. So, when will it know "the user has disconnected?"  what disconected will mean then?
Cheers,
Sebastian