Monticello Browser Feedback - additional window pane for description

Monticello Browser Feedback - additional window pane for description

Ben Coman
greetings all,

Some hopefully constructive feedback as from a newbie perusing
Monticello Browser in Pharo 1.3.

On the left-side there are a of packages listed and I don't know what
any of them do.  On the right-side is list a few repositories with a lot
of white space beneath.  What do you think of splitting the right-side
horizontally to include a description of the package?

This could include:
1. a textual description
2. a link to a web page for the package, which could be an authors home
page or a wiki page
3. display of the linked web page within the Monticello Browser

This is just something I would find useful as I explored the system.
Actually, it just occurred to me that the listed packages are delivered
as an integral part of Pharo 1.3 system.  I see that some of them are
marked with a star and I wonder what that means.  I did read the PBE
Monticello chapter a while ago but its been awhile since I used Pharo
and it didn't stick.  It is a pain searching for the description in PBE
again - and a scan of this escription seems more about using Monticello
as a developer than a newbie exploring the system.  I want to get
familiar with the system by exploring it and my feeling of confidence
depends on easily understanding the questions that arise as I am
flipping through thing.

Any thoughts for having a help button on the Monticello Browser with
"user" oriented information?

cheers,
BenComan

Re: Monticello Browser Feedback - additional window pane for description

abergel
Hi Ben!

I agree with you! We are currently working on a manifesto browser that will include this information per package, and much more (e.g,. List of authors, associated lint rules)

You can have a look at it if you wish. It is ManifestoBrowser from the ss3.gemstone.com forge

Cheers,
Alexandre

Le 10 nov. 2011 à 07:36, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> greetings all,
>
> Some hopefully constructive feedback as from a newbie perusing Monticello Browser in Pharo 1.3.
> On the left-side there are a of packages listed and I don't know what any of them do.  On the right-side is list a few repositories with a lot of white space beneath.  What do you think of splitting the right-side horizontally to include a description of the package?
> This could include:
> 1. a textual description
> 2. a link to a web page for the package, which could be an authors home page or a wiki page
> 3. display of the linked web page within the Monticello Browser
>
> This is just something I would find useful as I explored the system.  Actually, it just occurred to me that the listed packages are delivered as an integral part of Pharo 1.3 system.  I see that some of them are marked with a star and I wonder what that means.  I did read the PBE Monticello chapter a while ago but its been awhile since I used Pharo and it didn't stick.  It is a pain searching for the description in PBE again - and a scan of this escription seems more about using Monticello as a developer than a newbie exploring the system.  I want to get familiar with the system by exploring it and my feeling of confidence depends on easily understanding the questions that arise as I am flipping through thing.
>
> Any thoughts for having a help button on the Monticello Browser with "user" oriented information?
>
> cheers,
> BenComan

Re: Monticello Browser Feedback - additional window pane for description

Igor Stasenko
On 10 November 2011 16:50, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ben!
>
> I agree with you! We are currently working on a manifesto browser that will include this information per package, and much more (e.g,. List of authors, associated lint rules)
>
> You can have a look at it if you wish. It is ManifestoBrowser from the ss3.gemstone.com forge

My main question is where such information will be stored in monticello package.
Because right now, we don't have any formal defined rules for keeping
such information.
And of course it is useful, especially to people who only getting started.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Monticello Browser Feedback - additional window pane for description

abergel
The manifesto of the Mondrian-Core package is called ManifestoMondrianCore, and is a subclass of Object.
Maybe on some point we could have a class Manifesto in Pharo, but this is another story.

Alexandre

On 10 Nov 2011, at 08:35, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 10 November 2011 16:50, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Ben!
>>
>> I agree with you! We are currently working on a manifesto browser that will include this information per package, and much more (e.g,. List of authors, associated lint rules)
>>
>> You can have a look at it if you wish. It is ManifestoBrowser from the ss3.gemstone.com forge
>>

> My main question is where such information will be stored in monticello package.
> Because right now, we don't have any formal defined rules for keeping
> such information.
> And of course it is useful, especially to people who only getting started.
>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

>> Le 10 nov. 2011 à 07:36, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>>> greetings all,
>>>
>>> Some hopefully constructive feedback as from a newbie perusing Monticello Browser in Pharo 1.3.
>>> On the left-side there are a of packages listed and I don't know what any of them do.  On the right-side is list a few repositories with a lot of white space beneath.  What do you think of splitting the right-side horizontally to include a description of the package?
>>> This could include:
>>> 1. a textual description
>>> 2. a link to a web page for the package, which could be an authors home page or a wiki page
>>> 3. display of the linked web page within the Monticello Browser
>>>
>>> This is just something I would find useful as I explored the system.  Actually, it just occurred to me that the listed packages are delivered as an integral part of Pharo 1.3 system.  I see that some of them are marked with a star and I wonder what that means.  I did read the PBE Monticello chapter a while ago but its been awhile since I used Pharo and it didn't stick.  It is a pain searching for the description in PBE again - and a scan of this escription seems more about using Monticello as a developer than a newbie exploring the system.  I want to get familiar with the system by exploring it and my feeling of confidence depends on easily understanding the questions that arise as I am flipping through thing.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts for having a help button on the Monticello Browser with "user" oriented information?
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> BenComan
>>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Monticello Browser Feedback - additional window pane for description

Guido Stepken
Should'nt every Smalltalk object know, where it can find its source?? Monticello as interim solution towards full OO-ish thinking?

Have fun, Guido Stepken