Monticello: How to visualize history?

Nick Chen
Hi

Is there a nice way to visualize the history of Monticello repository? In particular, I would like to be able to quickly identify the presence of branching/merging.

Monticello history view

Consider the screenshot above. Without a graphical visualizer, it is hard to tell that LanguageOfLanguages-NC.42.mcz and LanguageOfLanguages-jamie.42.mcz branched out from LanguageOfLanguages-jamie.41.mcz. Their names might hint that they do (because of the "42") but that isn't always reliable.

Additionally, without a graphical visualizer, it is also impossible to tell that I did a merge in LanguageOfLanguages-NC.50.mcz unless I look at the commit message and check the ancestors.

If no graphical visualizer exists, how do Smalltalkers normally check for branching/merging?

Thanks!

Nick

Re: Monticello: How to visualize history?

Stéphane Ducasse
alex this would be a good example for mondrian :)

Stef

On May 9, 2011, at 12:43 AM, Nick Chen wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there a nice way to visualize the history of Monticello repository? In
> particular, I would like to be able to quickly identify the presence of
> branching/merging.
>
> http://forum.world.st/file/n3508002/MonticelloBrowseHistory.png
>
> Consider the screenshot above. Without a graphical visualizer, it is hard to
> tell that LanguageOfLanguages-NC.42.mcz and LanguageOfLanguages-jamie.42.mcz
> branched out from LanguageOfLanguages-jamie.41.mcz. Their names might hint
> that they do (because of the "42") but that isn't always reliable.
>
> Additionally, without a graphical visualizer, it is also impossible to tell
> that I did a merge in LanguageOfLanguages-NC.50.mcz unless I look at the
> commit message and check the ancestors.
>
> If no graphical visualizer exists, how do Smalltalkers normally check for
> branching/merging?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Nick

Re: Monticello: How to visualize history?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Nick Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Did you know about Torch?
http://soft.vub.ac.be/torch/Home.html

I've cc'ed Veronica ;)

Cheers

Mariano

Thanks!

--
Nick

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Monticello: How to visualize history?

Nick Chen
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Nick Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Did you know about Torch?
http://soft.vub.ac.be/torch/Home.html

I've cc'ed Veronica ;)

Cheers

Mariano

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
Thanks Mariano for the pointer to Torch – it's new to me. I can see myself using
it for some tasks in the future especially when dealing with big changes. Kudos
also to the creator (Veronica?), the UI is quite pretty and functional.

Incidentally, would it be possible to mention Torch in the Pharo Tools section
of the Pharo CollaborActive Book
<http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools>? That's usually where I (and I
suspect other people) go to to find out about such useful tools.

Anyway, back to my question. I tried out Torch but I can't seem to find how to
visualize the history of a repository - Torch visualizes changes. I
didn't see anything about that on the Torch screenshot page either. Is it a hidden
option somewhere?

Thanks!

Nick

&lt;http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools&gt;? That's usually where
I (and I
suspect other people) go to to find out about such useful tools.

Yes, this is a good idea. I can create her a user to edit the website if she wants.

Anyway, back to my question. I tried out Torch but I can't seem to find how
visualize the history of a repository - Torch visualizes changes. I
didn't see anything about that on the Torch screenshot page either. Is it a
hidden
option somewhere?

I have no idea. Maybe the moose guys have something to share?

Thanks!

--
Nick

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: Monticello: How to visualize history?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 10 May 2011, at 09:56, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Thanks Mariano for the pointer to Torch – it's new to me. I can see myself
using
it for some tasks in the future especially when dealing with big changes.
Kudos
also to the creator (Veronica?), the UI is quite pretty and functional.

Incidentally, would it be possible to mention Torch in the Pharo Tools
section
of the Pharo CollaborActive Book
&lt;http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools&gt;? That's usually where
I (and I
suspect other people) go to to find out about such useful tools.

Yes, this is a good idea. I can create her a user to edit the website if she wants.

Yup... So I can add info about Torch.

Anyway, back to my question. I tried out Torch but I can't seem to find how
visualize the history of a repository - Torch visualizes changes. I
didn't see anything about that on the Torch screenshot page either. Is it a
hidden
option somewhere?

Indeed, currently Torch is focused on showing the changes between versions.
I started working on change analysis and its history will be presented in visualizations.  Adding the rep history shouldn't be complicated, I will include it too.

I have no idea. Maybe the moose guys have something to share?

Thanks!

--
Nick

Mariano