Monticello UI

Bert Freudenberg
On 03.09.2010, at 02:55, [hidden email] wrote:

>  This time without additional cruft from my image (whoops.)

In other SCMs, the list of modifications about to be committed is always presented when you enter the commit message. This serves to remind you what to mention in the message, as well as a sanity check that you don't commit anything you did not intend to.

IMHO that would be a nice addition to the Monticello "save" dialog, too.

- Bert -

Re: Monticello UI

Casey Ransberger-2
+1

I totally feel nervousness whenever I commit in MC, and not with other SCMs. I hadn't thought about why.

This is exactly why. Git always tells me what I've changed, what files aren't staged for commit, etc, whenever I commit, for example.

On Sep 3, 2010, at 3:19 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03.09.2010, at 02:55, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> This time without additional cruft from my image (whoops.)
>
> In other SCMs, the list of modifications about to be committed is always presented when you enter the commit message. This serves to remind you what to mention in the message, as well as a sanity check that you don't commit anything you did not intend to.
>
> IMHO that would be a nice addition to the Monticello "save" dialog, too.
>
> - Bert -

Re: Monticello UI

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 3 Sep 2010, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> +1
>
> I totally feel nervousness whenever I commit in MC, and not with other SCMs. I hadn't thought about why.
>
> This is exactly why. Git always tells me what I've changed, what files aren't staged for commit, etc, whenever I commit, for example.

Why don't you click the "Changes" button first? That's what I always do.

Levente

> On Sep 3, 2010, at 3:19 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 03.09.2010, at 02:55, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> This time without additional cruft from my image (whoops.)
>>
>> In other SCMs, the list of modifications about to be committed is always presented when you enter the commit message. This serves to remind you what to mention in the message, as well as a sanity check that you don't commit anything you did not intend to.
>>
>> IMHO that would be a nice addition to the Monticello "save" dialog, too.
>>
>> - Bert -

cbc

Re: Monticello UI

cbc
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why don't you click the "Changes" button first? That's what I always do.

If you coudl then save from the Changes button, that would work for
me.  I often have the changes window open and the save window open and
flip between them to record what changed.  It would be nicer if they
could be in the same window, though.

-Chris

Re: Monticello UI

Bert Freudenberg
On 03.09.2010, at 20:16, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> +1
>
> I totally feel nervousness whenever I commit in MC, and not with other SCMs. I hadn't thought about why.
>
> This is exactly why. Git always tells me what I've changed, what files aren't staged for commit, etc, whenever I commit, for example.

The Inbox now has Monticello-bf.399 which implements this. It's text-only like in other SCMs but still serves as a nice reminder IMHO, and can easily be ignored.

I tested it in various situations (like when saving a new package) but since Monticello is a critical system part I'd like others to test it too, first, before committing to trunk.

- Bert -

PastedGraphic-6.png (89K) Download Attachment