Monticello cross-repository confusion?

Frank Shearar-3
I had a bit of an unusual state where I had an mcz in my Pharo 2.0
package-cache and another mcz with the same name & version in another
directory repo, squeak-package-cache. A bit like if you were hacking
on your release process in git and had to repeatedly git reset --soft
HEAD^ to adjust your commit.

I tried to load the _new_ mcz from squeak-package-cache, but Pharo
insisted that that mcz was the mcz in package-cache. I only resolved
the issue when I _deleted_ the mcz from package-cache.

Has anyone else seen this before? It's frustrating and wrong: I think
that the browser got confused because the two mczs were "the same" by
virtue of having the same package-initials.version name. I say "wrong"
because when viewing the squeak-package-cache repository I should see
only those versions - regardless of name - that are in that
repository.

frank

Re: Monticello cross-repository confusion?

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2013-03-14, at 22:59, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had a bit of an unusual state where I had an mcz in my Pharo 2.0
> package-cache and another mcz with the same name & version in another
> directory repo, squeak-package-cache. A bit like if you were hacking
> on your release process in git and had to repeatedly git reset --soft
> HEAD^ to adjust your commit.
>
> I tried to load the _new_ mcz from squeak-package-cache, but Pharo
> insisted that that mcz was the mcz in package-cache. I only resolved
> the issue when I _deleted_ the mcz from package-cache.
>
> Has anyone else seen this before? It's frustrating and wrong: I think
> that the browser got confused because the two mczs were "the same" by
> virtue of having the same package-initials.version name. I say "wrong"
> because when viewing the squeak-package-cache repository I should see
> only those versions - regardless of name - that are in that
> repository.

yes, this is the intended behavior under Pharo. Why? Because everything
else makes Monticello unacceptably slow.

Monticello is "wrong" in this case by relying on a "unique" version name,
which it approximates by checking known repositories (works well for small
projects, but does not scale at all, nor does it give any guarantee of
being uniqe).

That is the first report of such an issue since I changed the code there.
Hence I don't see an urge to change it.

On 14 March 2013 22:22, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-03-14, at 22:59, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I had a bit of an unusual state where I had an mcz in my Pharo 2.0
>> package-cache and another mcz with the same name & version in another
>> directory repo, squeak-package-cache. A bit like if you were hacking
>> on your release process in git and had to repeatedly git reset --soft
>> HEAD^ to adjust your commit.
>>
>> I tried to load the _new_ mcz from squeak-package-cache, but Pharo
>> insisted that that mcz was the mcz in package-cache. I only resolved
>> the issue when I _deleted_ the mcz from package-cache.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this before? It's frustrating and wrong: I think
>> that the browser got confused because the two mczs were "the same" by
>> virtue of having the same package-initials.version name. I say "wrong"
>> because when viewing the squeak-package-cache repository I should see
>> only those versions - regardless of name - that are in that
>> repository.
>
> yes, this is the intended behavior under Pharo. Why? Because everything
> else makes Monticello unacceptably slow.
>
> Monticello is "wrong" in this case by relying on a "unique" version name,
> which it approximates by checking known repositories (works well for small
> projects, but does not scale at all, nor does it give any guarantee of
> being uniqe).
>
> That is the first report of such an issue since I changed the code there.
> Hence I don't see an urge to change it.

OK, so (a) I wasn't going crazy and (b) that's a perfectly acceptable
answer. What I was doing is _not_ typical Monticello behaviour. I'll
just bear this in mind for next time.

Thanks!

frank