Monticello diff between chosen revisions is broken

Monticello diff between chosen revisions is broken

Stefan Marr-4
Hi:

In the current dev image (10508), Monticello is broken with respect to showing the differences of between chosen revisions.

However, that seems to be broken already in 10496. (and maybe earlier)

To reproduce:

1. Open Monticello Browser
2. Select a repo
3. click open
4. Select a revision, not the latest one
5. Click diff
6. chose an ancestor from the list
Now you got a window 'Version: ...5'
Saying (Diff against ...2)
Here I would expect the changes button to open a window showing the changes between the chosen revisions, but it always diffs against the latest version.

Best
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab

Re: [Pharo-project] Monticello diff between chosen revisions is broken

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Stefan Marr <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi:

In the current dev image (10508), Monticello is broken with respect to showing the differences of between chosen revisions.

However, that seems to be broken already in 10496. (and maybe earlier)

To reproduce:

1. Open Monticello Browser
2. Select a repo
3. click open
4. Select a revision, not the latest one
5. Click diff
6. chose an ancestor from the list
Now you got a window 'Version:  ...5'
Saying (Diff against ...2)
Here I would expect the changes button to open a window showing the changes between the chosen revisions, but it always diffs against the latest version.

Yes, I could reproduce the problem. Can you open a ticket ?

Maybe Lukas Monticello guru can help us ? hahaha

Cheers

Mariano

Best
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 3956
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: [Pharo-project] Monticello diff between chosen revisions is broken

Lukas Renggli
> Yes, I could reproduce the problem. Can you open a ticket ?
>
> Maybe Lukas Monticello guru can help us ? hahaha

I cannot reproduce the problem, I use that functionality all the time.
Looks like it's a bug in the Diff viewer of Polymorph.
Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhaha.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, I could reproduce the problem. Can you open a ticket ?
>
> Maybe Lukas Monticello guru can help us ? hahaha

I cannot reproduce the problem, I use that functionality all the time.
Looks like it's a bug in the Diff viewer of Polymorph.
Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhaha.

hhahaha  I have ever use that functionallity before, but just because I was not aware...I used to download another version, and then show the changes. So..today I discovered the diff :)

Ok...I cc gary then.... :)

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] Monticello diff between chosen revisions isbroken

Gary Chambers-4
The "Diff" button on the Monticello repository browser does what its balloon help says...

 'Create an equivalent version based on an earlier release'. This is a diff version. I never use them as they can be confusing :-)

If you want to compare two existing versions you should:

1. Open Monticello Browser
2. Select a repo
3. click open
4. Select a revision, not the latest one
5. Click HISTORY
6. chose an ancestor from the list

Regards, Gary

2010/1/25 Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>
The "Diff" button on the Monticello repository browser does what its balloon help says...

 'Create an equivalent version based on an earlier release'. This is a diff version. I never use them as they can be confusing :-)

Ok...I never used before...but something is clear: the second ask about a version, has no sense, and even is wrong if it compares to the last version. See step 6 of Stefan. Then, we have to options:

- Or we remove that second prompt, as it always will use the last version
- Or we change the diff implementation so that it uses the selected version instead of the last.

What do you think ?

Does someone really know what this "diff" should do ?

Cheers

Mariano

If you want to compare two existing versions you should:

1. Open Monticello Browser
2. Select a repo
3. click open
4. Select a revision, not the latest one
5. Click HISTORY

6. chose an ancestor from the list

Regards, Gary

Re: [Pharo-project] Monticello diff between chosen revisionsisbroken

Gary Chambers-4
Needs looking at since it is confusing. IIRC the Diff button creates a .mcd file of the changes between some versions...

Regards, Gary

Re: [Pharo-project] Monticello diff between chosen revisionsisbroken

Gary Chambers-4

MCVersionInspector>>diff
 | ancestorVersion |
 self pickAncestor ifNotNil:
  [:ancestor |
  ancestorVersion := self version workingCopy repositoryGroup versionWithInfo: ancestor.
  (self version asDiffAgainst: ancestorVersion) open]

Regards, Gary
Needs looking at since it is confusing. IIRC the Diff button creates a .mcd file of the changes between some versions...

Regards, Gary

Re: [Pharo-project] Monticello diff between chosen revisions isbroken

Lukas Renggli
> Does someone really know what this "diff" should do ?

Sure, that's absolutely essential. I use it all day.

- The "Diff" calculates the delta between two arbitrary selected
versions. None of these versions (or a different one) has to be loaded
in the image to be able to do that.

- The "Changes" calculates the delta between the selected version and
the working copy. Obviously you need a version of the package to be
loaded.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] Monticello diff between chosen revisionsisbroken

Lukas Renggli
> Needs looking at since it is confusing. IIRC the Diff button creates a .mcd
> file of the changes between some versions...

No this has nothing to do with .mcd. The .mcd thing was an experiment
(that should probably better be removed again) that did not always
safe a complete package but only a delta to the ancestor. I think it
has never been used in production and is quite buggy.

Lukas

> Regards, Gary

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] Monticello diff between chosen revisionsisbroken

Marcus Denker-4

On Jan 25, 2010, at 7:10 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Needs looking at since it is confusing. IIRC the Diff button creates a .mcd
>> file of the changes between some versions...
>
> No this has nothing to do with .mcd. The .mcd thing was an experiment
> (that should probably better be removed again) that did not always
> safe a complete package but only a delta to the ancestor. I think it
> has never been used in production and is quite buggy.

Doesn't the Squeak trunk generate .mcds on the fly for faster updates?

We used this mechanism at the beginning of 3.9, but it failed miserably when
using changesets (or just using MC pre/post scripts) that modified code by reflection.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: [Pharo-project] Monticello diff between chosen revisionsisbroken

Gary Chambers-4
Yes, in this case it is a bug with Polymorph.

Try with

MCVersionInspector>>changes
 "Open a patch morph for the changes."

 self viewChanges: self version changes

Hopefully no bad side-effects...

With a bit more work it may be possible to show both versions between which the changes apply (unlike the old MC tools) ;-)

Regards, Gary
  ancestorVersion := self version workingCopy repositoryGroup versionWithInfo: ancestor.
  (self version asDiffAgainst: ancestorVersion) open]

Regards, Gary
Needs looking at since it is confusing. IIRC the Diff button creates a .mcd file of the changes between some versions...

Regards, Gary

Re: [Pharo-project] Monticello diff between chosen revisionsisbroken

Gary Chambers-4
Well, the diff button does produce a .mcd (with older version number in
brackets).
I agree that, certainly from my experience, these diff files seemed rather
troublesome.

Regards, Gary

> Needs looking at since it is confusing. IIRC the Diff button creates a
> .mcd
> file of the changes between some versions...

No this has nothing to do with .mcd. The .mcd thing was an experiment
(that should probably better be removed again) that did not always
safe a complete package but only a delta to the ancestor. I think it
has never been used in production and is quite buggy.

Lukas

> Regards, Gary

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] Monticello diff between chosen revisionsisbroken

Yes let us remove that.

Stef

On Jan 25, 2010, at 7:10 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Needs looking at since it is confusing. IIRC the Diff button creates a .mcd
>> file of the changes between some versions...
>
> No this has nothing to do with .mcd. The .mcd thing was an experiment
> (that should probably better be removed again) that did not always
> safe a complete package but only a delta to the ancestor. I think it
> has never been used in production and is quite buggy.
>
> Lukas
>

>> Regards, Gary

>>> 5. Click HISTORY
>>> 6. chose an ancestor from the list
>>>
>>> Regards, Gary

gary what would be great is to have a label on top of the two methods shown
I never now what I'm reading

        Incoming InWorkingCopy
        New Current

would be so great!

Stef

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
gary what would be great is to have a label on top of the two methods shown
I never now what I'm reading

       Incoming                                        InWorkingCopy
       New                                             Current

would be so great!

And if you do it also in the merge, it would be a dream  :)

Stef

On Jan 25, 2010, at 7:25 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Yes, in this case it is a bug with Polymorph.
>
> Try with
>
> MCVersionInspector>>changes
>  "Open a patch morph for the changes."
>
>  self viewChanges: self version changes
>

> Hopefully no bad side-effects...
>
> With a bit more work it may be possible to show both versions between which the changes apply (unlike the old MC tools) ;-)
>
> Regards, Gary

Re: Monticello diff between chosen revisionsisbroken

Gary Chambers-4
It is on the "wish list"... has been for some time now. Having had a look in light of recent thread I believe it will be possible.

Regards, Gary