Monticello in Squeak 3.7 MVC-only Or changeset updater script?

Monticello in Squeak 3.7 MVC-only Or changeset updater script?

Stefan Marr-4
Hi:

Does anyone know (perhaps Dale?) how likely it is to get Monticello in a MVC-only image running?

I checked the documentation at http://www.wiresong.ca/monticello/v1/docs/getting-started.html
and the update IDs seem to be ok. At least my image identifies it self with 'latest update: #5959'. (thats the image: https://github.com/downloads/smarr/RoarVM/minimal-MVC.zip)

However, neither the document, nor SqueakMap give me the feeling that I actually know how to start loading it. I found http://ftp.squeak.org/3.11-obsolete/scripts/mc15.st but well, thought I ask here first.

If that does not seem to feasible, does anyone know a ready-to-use script to build a change set from a number of Monticello packages automatically taking dependencies into account? Would be nice, if I could hook something into the package saving mechanism that spills out an updated .st file every time I safe a package.

Thanks
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab

Re: Monticello in Squeak 3.7 MVC-only Or changeset updater script?

Dale Henrichs
On 11/07/2010 10:24 AM, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Does anyone know (perhaps Dale?) how likely it is to get Monticello in a MVC-only image running?
>
> I checked the documentation at http://www.wiresong.ca/monticello/v1/docs/getting-started.html
> and the update IDs seem to be ok. At least my image identifies it self with 'latest update: #5959'. (thats the image: https://github.com/downloads/smarr/RoarVM/minimal-MVC.zip)
>
> However, neither the document, nor SqueakMap give me the feeling that I actually know how to start loading it. I found http://ftp.squeak.org/3.11-obsolete/scripts/mc15.st but well, thought I ask here first.
>
> If that does not seem to feasible, does anyone know a ready-to-use script to build a change set from a number of Monticello packages automatically taking dependencies into account? Would be nice, if I could hook something into the package saving mechanism that spills out an updated .st file every time I safe a package.
>
> Thanks
> Stefan

Stefan,

If Monticello isn't already running in Squeak3.7, then you'll have to
treat it as a port ... For porting into an older version of Squeak, I
would start by unzipping the mcz file ... you should be able to filein
the snapshot/source.st file and then you are off to the races:)

Dale

Re: Monticello in Squeak 3.7 MVC-only Or changeset updater script?

Stefan Marr-4
Hi Dale:

> Stefan,
>
> If Monticello isn't already running in Squeak3.7, then you'll have to treat it as a port ... For porting into an older version of Squeak, I would start by unzipping the mcz file ... you should be able to filein the snapshot/source.st file and then you are off to the races:)
By now I discovered the Squeak3.7-5989-full.zip image which includes Monticello.
But when I open it in a MVC project, it uses still the Morphic UI, and after investigating a bit in the code, I expect it to be a major reimplementation effort for the UI in case I really would want to get it going in MVC land...

Looks like I have to continue with importing changes-files to my pharo image for the moment :-/

Thanks
Stefan

On 11/08/2010 09:55 AM, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi Dale:
>
>> Stefan,
>>
>> If Monticello isn't already running in Squeak3.7, then you'll have to treat it as a port ... For porting into an older version of Squeak, I would start by unzipping the mcz file ... you should be able to filein the snapshot/source.st file and then you are off to the races:)
> By now I discovered the Squeak3.7-5989-full.zip image which includes Monticello.
> But when I open it in a MVC project, it uses still the Morphic UI, and after investigating a bit in the code, I expect it to be a major reimplementation effort for the UI in case I really would want to get it going in MVC land...
>
> Looks like I have to continue with importing changes-files to my pharo image for the moment :-/
>
> Thanks
> Stefan

Stefan,

You might take a quick look at porting Gofer ... there is no Gofer ui,
but you should be able to script most of your operations....Once gofer
is ported, Metacello could be ported as well ... I'd be interested in
incorporating the changes to Metacello core ...if any... into the
standard code base if possible ...

Dale