Moose 6: Unstable or Just Me?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I've ported some projects from Moose 5 to Moose 6. The UI seems extremely sluggish and my image freezes pretty regularly. I can't remember experiencing anything like this in previous Pharo/Moose. My image is up around 500MB, and I have a few collections with a 100K-700K objects. Could that be the cause? Is anyone else experiencing similar instability? I'm not sure if it's my use case, Pharo, Spur, Moose, etc. So much has changed/improved recently!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Moose 6: Unstable or Just Me?

Ben Coman
While I've been stress testing FFI creating objects up to 500MB to
900MB images I've experienced a few momentary UI freezes (less than
half a second). I didn't think much of it assuming I was thrashing the
system pretty hard.  .

cheers -ben

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 5:45 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've ported some projects from Moose 5 to Moose 6. The UI seems extremely
> sluggish and my image freezes pretty regularly. I can't remember
> experiencing anything like this in previous Pharo/Moose. My image is up
> around 500MB, and I have a few collections with a 100K-700K objects. Could
> that be the cause? Is anyone else experiencing similar instability? I'm not
> sure if it's my use case, Pharo, Spur, Moose, etc. So much has
> changed/improved recently!
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Moose 6: Unstable or Just Me?

abergel
Do you experience just a freeze? or a crash?

Alexandre

> On Sep 7, 2016, at 6:45 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've ported some projects from Moose 5 to Moose 6. The UI seems extremely
> sluggish and my image freezes pretty regularly. I can't remember
> experiencing anything like this in previous Pharo/Moose. My image is up
> around 500MB, and I have a few collections with a 100K-700K objects. Could
> that be the cause? Is anyone else experiencing similar instability? I'm not
> sure if it's my use case, Pharo, Spur, Moose, etc. So much has
> changed/improved recently!
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Moose 6: Unstable or Just Me?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
abergel wrote
Do you experience just a freeze? or a crash?
Freezes. Uninterruptible. They seem to be preceded by the UI slowing down quite a bit. I haven't identified any other pattern yet...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Moose 6: Unstable or Just Me?

CyrilFerlicot
On 07/09/2016 23:45, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> I've ported some projects from Moose 5 to Moose 6. The UI seems extremely
> sluggish and my image freezes pretty regularly. I can't remember
> experiencing anything like this in previous Pharo/Moose. My image is up
> around 500MB, and I have a few collections with a 100K-700K objects. Could
> that be the cause? Is anyone else experiencing similar instability? I'm not
> sure if it's my use case, Pharo, Spur, Moose, etc. So much has
> changed/improved recently!

I am *really* not sure but I think it might be related to GC. I am
currently working on a 1G image and it happen a lot that the image
freeze. When I see the Memory manager of the OS it seems that there is
slightly less memory used after the freeze. But I don't have time to
investigate so this is just an idea.

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean