Moose > Software selfies: How to graph the story of a Monticello repo within Pharo/Moose/Roassal

Moose > Software selfies: How to graph the story of a Monticello repo within Pharo/Moose/Roassal

Offray
Hi,

I'm working on the first version of my draft article about Pharo, wrote
inside Pharo itself. I would like to illustrate the process of learning
and building the software by making some graphs of the history of the
Monticello repository and I'm wondering how difficult this could be. I'm
thinking in something like:

- A bar char with the amount of commits per day since the repo existed.
- Number of methods in the package.
- Total lines of code

Any advice about how to use Moose/Roassal to create a "selfie" of the
project's history is welcomed.

The SmalltalkHub repository is here:

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Offray/Ubakye/

Also I have acknowledge the contribution of the Pharo/Moose/Roassal
communities, but I'm wondering if there is any custom about how to do
it. As soon as I have a more workable draft I will be sharing the link.

Thanks again,

Offray

Re: Moose > Software selfies: How to graph the story of a Monticello repo within Pharo/Moose/Roassal

Esteban A. Maringolo
When you say "selfie" you mean "screenshot"?

Why not use a regular screenshot tool provided by the OS or running
externally to Pharo?
I use SnagIt for Windows to capture Pharo running inside an Ubuntu VM.

Regards!
Esteban A. Maringolo

> I'm working on the first version of my draft article about Pharo, wrote
> inside Pharo itself. I would like to illustrate the process of learning and
> building the software by making some graphs of the history of the Monticello
> repository and I'm wondering how difficult this could be. I'm thinking in
> something like:
>
> - A bar char with the amount of commits per day since the repo existed.
> - Number of methods in the package.
> - Total lines of code
>
> Any advice about how to use Moose/Roassal to create a "selfie" of the
> project's history is welcomed.
>
> The SmalltalkHub repository is here:
>
> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Offray/Ubakye/
>
> Also I have acknowledge the contribution of the Pharo/Moose/Roassal
> communities, but I'm wondering if there is any custom about how to do it. As
> soon as I have a more workable draft I will be sharing the link.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Offray

Re: Moose > Software selfies: How to graph the story of a Monticello repo within Pharo/Moose/Roassal

Offray
Hi,

Well I said "selfies" because they are pictures taken from the software
itself, following the now spread custom in social networks :-). There is
few software that can take pictures of itself and Pharo is one of them.
Previosly I asked where there were stored and finally I decided to
follow your advice and use external software for that.

But in this case is different, I want to use Moose/Rossal to graph the
story of the monticello repository, the amount of lines of code and
methods in a packages. AFAIK in this sense Pharo presents unique
introspective features to create graphs about it own source code, as the
one I'm asking for. I just would like some pointer on how to do it or
documentation explaining it.

Cheers,

Offray

On 09/22/2014 10:06 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:

> When you say "selfie" you mean "screenshot"?
>
> Why not use a regular screenshot tool provided by the OS or running
> externally to Pharo?
> I use SnagIt for Windows to capture Pharo running inside an Ubuntu VM.
>
> Regards!
> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm working on the first version of my draft article about Pharo, wrote
>> inside Pharo itself. I would like to illustrate the process of learning and
>> building the software by making some graphs of the history of the Monticello
>> repository and I'm wondering how difficult this could be. I'm thinking in
>> something like:
>>
>> - A bar char with the amount of commits per day since the repo existed.
>> - Number of methods in the package.
>> - Total lines of code
>>
>> Any advice about how to use Moose/Roassal to create a "selfie" of the
>> project's history is welcomed.
>>
>> The SmalltalkHub repository is here:
>>
>> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Offray/Ubakye/
>>
>> Also I have acknowledge the contribution of the Pharo/Moose/Roassal
>> communities, but I'm wondering if there is any custom about how to do it. As
>> soon as I have a more workable draft I will be sharing the link.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Offray

Re: Moose > Software selfies: How to graph the story of a Monticello repo within Pharo/Moose/Roassal

abergel
Hi Offray,

I have not had a look at your code, but I have the impression that the tricky part is getting the data. I guess you can open a repository, get all the files, and get the data from a .mcz file. When you click on the ‘Browse’ button in the Monticello browser, you can see all the classes. Once you have the model, then plotting the things is quite trivial.

Have you found the right combination to programmatically inspect a .mcz file?

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu