Moose community call

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi moosers

I would like to know if you are interested in Moose?
Why because the comments are not good.

Now this is simple either we let moose decay (I can focus on Pharo easily) or we do something

Now I should know what you can do and energy you can put on the table because there is little use
we get a new engineer and postdoc (because if the core is not clean than nobody can learn from it).

So
        Plan A- build a roadmap and do it (I can probably work every two evenings on it for a month).

                Right now (this evening we log on chat and we fix) these two

                        allPropertySelectors
                                is used
                        allDeclaredProperties
                                is used

                        FamixCore class comments

        Plan B - I focus only on pharo (because I cannot do both especially right now).

But I should know because we are hiring a new engineer and a new postdoc for moose and without a community effort
I do not see the point.

Re: Moose community call

Tudor Girba-2
Please, let's put ultimatums aside. The issue is not allPropertySelectors, and not even problems in the core (which actually are not that many). It would be great indeed to have more comments, and I would welcome any effort in this direction.

However, the main issue is collaboration around the infrastructure. Everyone is working in his own corner with very little integration and collaboration happening. I can coordinate the work and spread knowledge around, but only if people work with me.

We started to get this regular chats with the Cyrille and Andre, and things improved. But, then holidays came and we are again in no-communication land. I actually do not even know if someone is still working on Moose-something.

The reason I called for projects was to try to establish a sense of common goals, but it was clear that this is not desired. Moose was developed by relentlessly integrating and on building on each others efforts. Right now I am the only one investing in maintaining core and seeing that things work with each other.

I work well with Alex who does a great job of maintaining Mondrian, but these kind of collaborations should be broader.

So, here is a proposal:
Who wants to join the core team?

Right now we have:
        • Stef
        • Me
        • Simon
        • Alex

Joining the core team would imply investing at least 2h / week on actually working on the infrastructure, and on cleaning it.

Simon, I am not sure if you are interested in this anymore. Stef, do you have the time to do it? Alex, do you want to work on more than Mondrian? I certainly will continue.

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Sep 2011, at 09:36, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi moosers
>
> I would like to know if you are interested in Moose?
> Why because the comments are not good.
>
> Now this is simple either we let moose decay (I can focus on Pharo easily) or we do something
>
> Now I should know what you can do and energy you can put on the table because there is little use
> we get a new engineer and postdoc (because if the core is not clean than nobody can learn from it).
>

> So
> Plan A- build a roadmap and do it (I can probably work every two evenings on it for a month).
>
> Right now (this evening we log on chat and we fix) these two
>
> allPropertySelectors
> is used
> allDeclaredProperties
> is used
>
> FamixCore class comments
>
> Plan B - I focus only on pharo (because I cannot do both especially right now).
>
> But I should know because we are hiring a new engineer and a new postdoc for moose and without a community effort
> I do not see the point.
>
> Stef

www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: Moose community call

Nicolas Anquetil

Time is the key issue.

I spent some time during my holidays working on metrics.
Since I needed some of them, I started to look how they could be expressed in MooseChef (my goal would be to drop MooseCook, which has far too many methods to my taste)

Anyway, I did a bit of work, but since I am back, I did not even find the time to commit it in Monticello ! :-(
(same thing with the small XML issue I reported in august)

Very stupid situation and very sad

nicolas

> [...]
> > we get a new engineer and postdoc (because if the core is not clean
> > than nobody can learn from it).
> >

> > So
> > Plan A- build a roadmap and do it (I can probably work every two
> > evenings on it for a month).
> >
> > Right now (this evening we log on chat and we fix) these two
> >
> > allPropertySelectors
> > is used
> > allDeclaredProperties
> > is used
> >
> > FamixCore class comments
> >
> > Plan B - I focus only on pharo (because I cannot do both especially
> > right now).
> >
> > But I should know because we are hiring a new engineer and a new
> > postdoc for moose and without a community effort
> > I do not see the point.
> >
> > Stef

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

abergel
> Please, let's put ultimatums aside. The issue is not allPropertySelectors, and not even problems in the core (which actually are not that many). It would be great indeed to have more comments, and I would welcome any effort in this direction.

Yes. And your book is important.

> However, the main issue is collaboration around the infrastructure. Everyone is working in his own corner with very little integration and collaboration happening. I can coordinate the work and spread knowledge around, but only if people work with me.

I will work on CAnalyzer. I started to make it up to date. I will continue next week.

> So, here is a proposal:
> Who wants to join the core team?
>
> Right now we have:
> • Stef
> • Me
> • Simon
> • Alex
>
> Joining the core team would imply investing at least 2h / week on actually working on the infrastructure, and on cleaning it.
>
> Simon, I am not sure if you are interested in this anymore. Stef, do you have the time to do it? Alex, do you want to work on more than Mondrian? I certainly will continue.

Hey! Working on Moose involves plenty of other things than commenting the core. I work more than 2h / week on Moose, however little coding on the core. Moose is used in my lectures. Angel's postdoc did not come up from nothing. More grants will come soon.

I will revive CAnalyzer because of a case study we have to do here. I have no problem at commenting uncommented things that I use for this.

Alexandre

> On 19 Sep 2011, at 09:36, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi moosers
>>
>> I would like to know if you are interested in Moose?
>> Why because the comments are not good.
>>
>> Now this is simple either we let moose decay (I can focus on Pharo easily) or we do something
>>
>> Now I should know what you can do and energy you can put on the table because there is little use
>> we get a new engineer and postdoc (because if the core is not clean than nobody can learn from it).
>>

>> So
>> Plan A- build a roadmap and do it (I can probably work every two evenings on it for a month).
>>
>> Right now (this evening we log on chat and we fix) these two
>>
>> allPropertySelectors
>> is used
>> allDeclaredProperties
>> is used
>>
>> FamixCore class comments
>>
>> Plan B - I focus only on pharo (because I cannot do both especially right now).
>>
>> But I should know because we are hiring a new engineer and a new postdoc for moose and without a community effort
>> I do not see the point.
>>
>> Stef

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Moose community call

simondenier

On 19 sept. 2011, at 11:07, Tudor Girba wrote:

So, here is a proposal:
Who wants to join the core team?

Right now we have:
• Stef
• Me
• Simon
• Alex

Joining the core team would imply investing at least 2h / week on actually working on the infrastructure, and on cleaning it.

Simon, I am not sure if you are interested in this anymore. Stef, do you have the time to do it? Alex, do you want to work on more than Mondrian? I certainly will continue.

Right now, I don't have the time nor the energy to focus on Moose core until we (in my company) have some tangible projects to work with. I'm still in the process of scouting around to see what kind of ideas raise some interest (not just the "that's cool" interest, more like "let's go in this direction", which is more difficult to achieve).

--
Simon Denier

Re: Moose community call

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Simon,
On 19 Sep 2011, at 13:53, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 19 sept. 2011, at 11:07, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>> So, here is a proposal:
>> Who wants to join the core team?
>>
>> Right now we have:
>> • Stef
>> • Me
>> • Simon
>> • Alex
>>
>> Joining the core team would imply investing at least 2h / week on actually working on the infrastructure, and on cleaning it.
>>
>> Simon, I am not sure if you are interested in this anymore. Stef, do you have the time to do it? Alex, do you want to work on more than Mondrian? I certainly will continue.
>

> Right now, I don't have the time nor the energy to focus on Moose core until we (in my company) have some tangible projects to work with. I'm still in the process of scouting around to see what kind of ideas raise some interest (not just the "that's cool" interest, more like "let's go in this direction", which is more difficult to achieve).

This is perfectly understandable. It's just that we need to make it clear who can do things at any moment :). I am happy that you are still pushing for Moose. Let us know if there is anything we can do to improve the situation.

Cheers,
Doru

> --
> Simon Denier

www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: Moose community call

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Alex,

On 19 Sep 2011, at 13:13, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> Please, let's put ultimatums aside. The issue is not allPropertySelectors, and not even problems in the core (which actually are not that many). It would be great indeed to have more comments, and I would welcome any effort in this direction.
>
> Yes. And your book is important.
>
>> However, the main issue is collaboration around the infrastructure. Everyone is working in his own corner with very little integration and collaboration happening. I can coordinate the work and spread knowledge around, but only if people work with me.
>
> I will work on CAnalyzer. I started to make it up to date. I will continue next week.
>
>> So, here is a proposal:
>> Who wants to join the core team?
>>
>> Right now we have:
>> • Stef
>> • Me
>> • Simon
>> • Alex
>>
>> Joining the core team would imply investing at least 2h / week on actually working on the infrastructure, and on cleaning it.
>>
>> Simon, I am not sure if you are interested in this anymore. Stef, do you have the time to do it? Alex, do you want to work on more than Mondrian? I certainly will continue.
>

> Hey! Working on Moose involves plenty of other things than commenting the core. I work more than 2h / week on Moose, however little coding on the core. Moose is used in my lectures. Angel's postdoc did not come up from nothing. More grants will come soon.

It seems that there was a misunderstanding :)I did not say 2h for commenting and I was certainly not trying to diminish your efforts. I said 2 hours for investing in the infrastructure that goes beyond Mondrian (although it is already great to know that Mondrian is taken care of :)).

It is important to make transparent what people are willing to invest and then we do it. That is all.

In particular we need to work together to form a coherent image of the inner architecture of Moose. I mean, I have an idea of what I want it to be, but I would like to get more people around it so that we can spread the knowledge and limit the truck factor.

Btw, welcome Angel :).

> I will revive CAnalyzer because of a case study we have to do here. I have no problem at commenting uncommented things that I use for this.

CAnalyzer is welcome. It would be great to have a step-by-step instructions of how to use it on different platforms (right now, it is difficult to figure it out).

Cheers,
Doru

> Alexandre
>

>> On 19 Sep 2011, at 09:36, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi moosers
>>>
>>> I would like to know if you are interested in Moose?
>>> Why because the comments are not good.
>>>
>>> Now this is simple either we let moose decay (I can focus on Pharo easily) or we do something
>>>
>>> Now I should know what you can do and energy you can put on the table because there is little use
>>> we get a new engineer and postdoc (because if the core is not clean than nobody can learn from it).
>>>

>>> So
>>> Plan A- build a roadmap and do it (I can probably work every two evenings on it for a month).
>>>
>>> Right now (this evening we log on chat and we fix) these two
>>>
>>> allPropertySelectors
>>> is used
>>> allDeclaredProperties
>>> is used
>>>
>>> FamixCore class comments
>>>
>>> Plan B - I focus only on pharo (because I cannot do both especially right now).
>>>
>>> But I should know because we are hiring a new engineer and a new postdoc for moose and without a community effort
>>> I do not see the point.
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

Re: Moose community call

On Sep 19, 2011, at 11:07 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Please, let's put ultimatums aside. The issue is not allPropertySelectors, and not even problems in the core (which actually are not that many). It would be great indeed to have more comments, and I would welcome any effort in this direction.
>
> However, the main issue is collaboration around the infrastructure. Everyone is working in his own corner with very little integration and collaboration happening. I can coordinate the work and spread knowledge around, but only if people work with me.
>
> We started to get this regular chats with the Cyrille and Andre, and things improved. But, then holidays came and we are again in no-communication land. I actually do not even know if someone is still working on Moose-something.
>
> The reason I called for projects was to try to establish a sense of common goals, but it was clear that this is not desired. Moose was developed by relentlessly integrating and on building on each others efforts. Right now I am the only one investing in maintaining core and seeing that things work with each other.
>
> I work well with Alex who does a great job of maintaining Mondrian, but these kind of collaborations should be broader.
>
> So, here is a proposal:
> Who wants to join the core team?
>
> Right now we have:
> • Stef
> • Me
> • Simon
> • Alex
>
> Joining the core team would imply investing at least 2h / week on actually working on the infrastructure, and on cleaning it.

ok count me in

> Simon, I am not sure if you are interested in this anymore. Stef, do you have the time to do it? Alex, do you want to work on more than Mondrian? I certainly will continue.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 19 Sep 2011, at 09:36, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi moosers
>>
>> I would like to know if you are interested in Moose?
>> Why because the comments are not good.
>>
>> Now this is simple either we let moose decay (I can focus on Pharo easily) or we do something
>>
>> Now I should know what you can do and energy you can put on the table because there is little use
>> we get a new engineer and postdoc (because if the core is not clean than nobody can learn from it).
>>

>> So
>> Plan A- build a roadmap and do it (I can probably work every two evenings on it for a month).
>>
>> Right now (this evening we log on chat and we fix) these two
>>
>> allPropertySelectors
>> is used
>> allDeclaredProperties
>> is used
>>
>> FamixCore class comments
>>
>> Plan B - I focus only on pharo (because I cannot do both especially right now).
>>
>> But I should know because we are hiring a new engineer and a new postdoc for moose and without a community effort
>> I do not see the point.
>>
>> Stef

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: Moose community call

Usman Bhatti
Hello all,

For now, I didn't not contribute anything big to moose except that:
- VerveineSharp that parses most of the C# language entities (I need to create a page for that)
- some metrics for a paper
- famix exporter (with stef)...

But now the situation has changed as we are working on doing some industrial projects with moose which requires a deep understanding of technologies around moose and its infrastructure ... so now:

1. I need to work on Famix and fame to understand the infrastructure ...
2. I'll need to work on glmaour/mondrian because we need to prepare something for a pilot project ...
3. we need to do other industrial projects ..

from now on, most of my time will be spent around moose... I'll be slow in the beginning as I am not so proficient in smalltalk but i hope that wont last for long ...

Usman

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> we get a new engineer and postdoc (because if the core is not clean than nobody can learn from it).
>>

>> So
>>      Plan A- build a roadmap and do it (I can probably work every two evenings on it for a month).
>>
>>              Right now (this evening we log on chat and we fix) these two
>>
>>                      allPropertySelectors
>>                              is used
>>                      allDeclaredProperties
>>                              is used
>>
>>                      FamixCore class comments
>>
>>      Plan B - I focus only on pharo (because I cannot do both especially right now).
>>
>> But I should know because we are hiring a new engineer and a new postdoc for moose and without a community effort
>> I do not see the point.
>>
>> Stef

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

We will help you.
don't forget to read the chapter
        glamour
        petit parser

Stef

On Sep 19, 2011, at 3:17 PM, Usman Bhatti wrote:

> [...]
> >>

> >> So
> >>      Plan A- build a roadmap and do it (I can probably work every two evenings on it for a month).
> >>
> >>              Right now (this evening we log on chat and we fix) these two
> >>
> >>                      allPropertySelectors
> >>                              is used
> >>                      allDeclaredProperties
> >>                              is used
> >>
> >>                      FamixCore class comments
> >>
> >>      Plan B - I focus only on pharo (because I cannot do both especially right now).
> >>
> >> But I should know because we are hiring a new engineer and a new postdoc for moose and without a community effort
> >> I do not see the point.
> >>
> >> Stef

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

jannik laval
Hi all,

I am in, too. I want to work on Moose friday afternoon.
If you have some important tasks, I can take a look this friday.

Cheers,
Jannik

On Sep 19, 2011, at 11:07 , Tudor Girba wrote:

> [...]
>> we get a new engineer and postdoc (because if the core is not clean than nobody can learn from it).
>>

>> So
>> Plan A- build a roadmap and do it (I can probably work every two evenings on it for a month).
>>
>> Right now (this evening we log on chat and we fix) these two
>>
>> allPropertySelectors
>> is used
>> allDeclaredProperties
>> is used
>>
>> FamixCore class comments
>>
>> Plan B - I focus only on pharo (because I cannot do both especially right now).
>>
>> But I should know because we are hiring a new engineer and a new postdoc for moose and without a community effort
>> I do not see the point.
>>
>> Stef

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

---
Jannik Laval

Re: Moose community call

Stéphane Ducasse
yes this is a good idea to use one afternoon to fix some moose tasks.

Jannik I would like to get the visualization cyrille did and that was not loaded into moose.
        - the one that shows incoming and outgoing references
        - comment better the class
        - I want to finish the meta model exporter to take into account package:
        - fix the property....

So fixing these ones would be good.
Stef

On Sep 20, 2011, at 8:40 PM, jannik.laval wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>> So
>>> Plan A- build a roadmap and do it (I can probably work every two evenings on it for a month).
>>>
>>> Right now (this evening we log on chat and we fix) these two
>>>
>>> allPropertySelectors
>>> is used
>>> allDeclaredProperties
>>> is used
>>>
>>> FamixCore class comments
>>>
>>> Plan B - I focus only on pharo (because I cannot do both especially right now).
>>>
>>> But I should know because we are hiring a new engineer and a new postdoc for moose and without a community effort
>>> I do not see the point.
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: Moose community call

Tudor Girba-2
Wait. We have a bug tracker for tasks.

Please visit these, pick one, enter a comment so that we know you are working on it, and then ask questions if problems arise.

I would also want to review changes to the Core. This is a sensible area that needs care. In case you have doubts, let us discuss.

Cheers,
Doru

On 20 Sep 2011, at 21:24, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> yes this is a good idea to use one afternoon to fix some moose tasks.
>
> Jannik I would like to get the visualization cyrille did and that was not loaded into moose.
> - the one that shows incoming and outgoing references
> - comment better the class
> - I want to finish the meta model exporter to take into account package:
> - fix the property....
>
> So fixing these ones would be good.
> Stef
>
> On Sep 20, 2011, at 8:40 PM, jannik.laval wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am in, too. I want to work on Moose friday afternoon.
>> If you have some important tasks, I can take a look this friday.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jannik
>>
>> On Sep 19, 2011, at 11:07 , Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Please, let's put ultimatums aside. The issue is not allPropertySelectors, and not even problems in the core (which actually are not that many). It would be great indeed to have more comments, and I would welcome any effort in this direction.
>>>
>>> However, the main issue is collaboration around the infrastructure. Everyone is working in his own corner with very little integration and collaboration happening. I can coordinate the work and spread knowledge around, but only if people work with me.
>>>
>>> We started to get this regular chats with the Cyrille and Andre, and things improved. But, then holidays came and we are again in no-communication land. I actually do not even know if someone is still working on Moose-something.
>>>
>>> The reason I called for projects was to try to establish a sense of common goals, but it was clear that this is not desired. Moose was developed by relentlessly integrating and on building on each others efforts. Right now I am the only one investing in maintaining core and seeing that things work with each other.
>>>
>>> I work well with Alex who does a great job of maintaining Mondrian, but these kind of collaborations should be broader.
>>>
>>> So, here is a proposal:
>>> Who wants to join the core team?
>>>
>>> Right now we have:
>>> • Stef
>>> • Me
>>> • Simon
>>> • Alex
>>>
>>> Joining the core team would imply investing at least 2h / week on actually working on the infrastructure, and on cleaning it.
>>>
>>> Simon, I am not sure if you are interested in this anymore. Stef, do you have the time to do it? Alex, do you want to work on more than Mondrian? I certainly will continue.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

>> ---
>> Jannik Laval

www.tudorgirba.com

"Quality cannot be an afterthought."

Re: Moose community call

Stéphane Ducasse
yes but a priority list and focus is important.

On Sep 20, 2011, at 9:50 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Wait. We have a bug tracker for tasks.
>
> Please visit these, pick one, enter a comment so that we know you are working on it, and then ask questions if problems arise.
>
> I would also want to review changes to the Core. This is a sensible area that needs care. In case you have doubts, let us discuss.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 20 Sep 2011, at 21:24, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> yes this is a good idea to use one afternoon to fix some moose tasks.
>>
>> Jannik I would like to get the visualization cyrille did and that was not loaded into moose.
>> - the one that shows incoming and outgoing references
>> - comment better the class
>> - I want to finish the meta model exporter to take into account package:
>> - fix the property....
>>
>> So fixing these ones would be good.
>> Stef
>>
>> On Sep 20, 2011, at 8:40 PM, jannik.laval wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am in, too. I want to work on Moose friday afternoon.
>>> If you have some important tasks, I can take a look this friday.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jannik

>>> ---
>>> Jannik Laval

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Quality cannot be an afterthought."

Re: Moose community call

jannik laval
Hi Doru,

I know the bug tracker :), and I will use it.
My question was because there is no priority on the issues.

Cheers,
Jannik

On Sep 20, 2011, at 21:50 , Tudor Girba wrote:

> Wait. We have a bug tracker for tasks.
>
> Please visit these, pick one, enter a comment so that we know you are working on it, and then ask questions if problems arise.
>
> I would also want to review changes to the Core. This is a sensible area that needs care. In case you have doubts, let us discuss.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 20 Sep 2011, at 21:24, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> yes this is a good idea to use one afternoon to fix some moose tasks.
>>
>> Jannik I would like to get the visualization cyrille did and that was not loaded into moose.
>> - the one that shows incoming and outgoing references
>> - comment better the class
>> - I want to finish the meta model exporter to take into account package:
>> - fix the property....
>>
>> So fixing these ones would be good.
>> Stef
>>
>> On Sep 20, 2011, at 8:40 PM, jannik.laval wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am in, too. I want to work on Moose friday afternoon.
>>> If you have some important tasks, I can take a look this friday.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jannik

>>> ---
>>> Jannik Laval

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Quality cannot be an afterthought."

---
Jannik Laval

Re: Moose community call

Fabrizio Perin
I'm in too, this week away for a workshop in Milano but starting from next week i will start to regularrily allocate time to the Moose Core. I will check the tracker  too as you suggested to Jannik.

Cheers,

Fabrizio