Moose image does not shrink

Jan Kurš-2
If I download latest and greatest moose image and latest and greatest VM for linux, I evaluate this code:

nil asParser star parse: 'b'

That leads to an infinite loop and I terminate after a few seconds using ctrl + . my image grows to approximately 500MB.

The problem is, if I close all the windows, call Smalltalk garbageCollect as many times as I want, the image is still 500MB (or 1.2GB in my real-case scenario).

Cheers,
Jan

Re: Moose image does not shrink

CyrilFerlicot

On 11/05/2016 17:34, Jan Kurš wrote:

> If I download latest and greatest moose image and latest and greatest VM
> for linux, I evaluate this code:
>
> nil asParser star parse: 'b'
>

> That leads to an infinite loop and I terminate after a few seconds using
> ctrl + . my image grows to approximately 500MB.
>
> The problem is, if I close all the windows, call Smalltalk
> garbageCollect as many times as I want, the image is still 500MB (or
> 1.2GB in my real-case scenario).
>
> Cheers,
> Jan

Hi,

this is a known bug since Spur. Pharo 5 will be released with the bug
and later a new VM should be produced to correct the bug. But Pharo 5
release can't wait for this now VM for now.

Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne
Lille 59000 France

Re: Moose image does not shrink

Blondeau Vincent

It is a known problem in the Pharo 5 image due to spur migration.

The memory is released but the image file is not reduced at saving time.

Cheers,

Vincent

If I download latest and greatest moose image and latest and greatest VM for linux, I evaluate this code:

nil asParser star parse: 'b'

That leads to an infinite loop and I terminate after a few seconds using ctrl + . my image grows to approximately 500MB.

The problem is, if I close all the windows, call Smalltalk garbageCollect as many times as I want, the image is still 500MB (or 1.2GB in my real-case scenario).

Cheers,
Jan

!!!*************************************************************************************
"Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.!!!"

Re: Moose image does not shrink

Jan Kurš-2
Are you sure about this?

I cannot reproduce this behavior in Pharo5 image, only in the latest Moose 6.

Cheers,
Jan

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:40 PM Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

It is a known problem in the Pharo 5 image due to spur migration.

The memory is released but the image file is not reduced at saving time.

Cheers,

Vincent

Re: Moose image does not shrink

Andrei Chis
Hi Jan,

Can you try again in the latest moose image.

I just fixed a bug related to that.

Cheers,
Andrei

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

It is a known problem in the Pharo 5 image due to spur migration.

The memory is released but the image file is not reduced at saving time.

Cheers,

Vincent

Re: Moose image does not shrink

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

What bug was that?

Cheers,
Doru

> On May 11, 2016, at 5:43 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jan,
>
> Can you try again in the latest moose image.
>
> I just fixed a bug related to that.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrei
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> It is a known problem in the Pharo 5 image due to spur migration.
>
> The memory is released but the image file is not reduced at saving time.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Vincent

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Re: Moose image does not shrink

Jan Kurš-2
Andrei, you made my day :)

I will be late for my next meeting, but I see the image to shrink! Thanks!

By any chance, do you have a fix for my already big image?

Cheers,
Jan

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:44 PM Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jan,

Can you try again in the latest moose image.

I just fixed a bug related to that.

Cheers,
Andrei

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

It is a known problem in the Pharo 5 image due to spur migration.

The memory is released but the image file is not reduced at saving time.

Cheers,

Vincent

Re: Moose image does not shrink

Andrei Chis
A weak announcement used in the wrong place.

Cheers,
Andrei

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

What bug was that?

Cheers,
Doru

> On May 11, 2016, at 5:43 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jan,
>
> Can you try again in the latest moose image.
>
> I just fixed a bug related to that.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrei
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> It is a known problem in the Pharo 5 image due to spur migration.
>
> The memory is released but the image file is not reduced at saving time.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Vincent

abergel
Great community effort!