Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Moose image does not shrink

Jan Kurš-2
If I download latest and greatest moose image and latest and greatest VM for linux, I evaluate this code:

nil asParser star parse: 'b'

That leads to an infinite loop and I terminate after a few seconds using ctrl + . my image grows to approximately 500MB.

The problem is, if I close all the windows, call Smalltalk garbageCollect as many times as I want, the image is still 500MB (or 1.2GB in my real-case scenario). 

Cheers,
Jan

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Moose image does not shrink

CyrilFerlicot

On 11/05/2016 17:34, Jan Kurš wrote:

> If I download latest and greatest moose image and latest and greatest VM
> for linux, I evaluate this code:
>
> nil asParser star parse: 'b'
>
>
> That leads to an infinite loop and I terminate after a few seconds using
> ctrl + . my image grows to approximately 500MB.
>
> The problem is, if I close all the windows, call Smalltalk
> garbageCollect as many times as I want, the image is still 500MB (or
> 1.2GB in my real-case scenario).
>
> Cheers,
> Jan
>
Hi,

this is a known bug since Spur. Pharo 5 will be released with the bug
and later a new VM should be produced to correct the bug. But Pharo 5
release can't wait for this now VM for now.

>
> _______________________________________________
> Moose-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://www.list.inf.unibe.ch/listinfo/moose-dev
>

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne
Lille 59000 France

signature.asc (817 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Blondeau Vincent
In reply to this post by Jan Kurš-2

Hi,

It is a known problem in the Pharo 5 image due to spur migration.

The memory is released but the image file is not reduced at saving time.

Cheers,

Vincent

De : [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part de Jan Kurš
Envoyé : mercredi 11 mai 2016 17:34
À : Moose-related development
Objet : [Moose-dev] Moose image does not shrink

If I download latest and greatest moose image and latest and greatest VM for linux, I evaluate this code:

That leads to an infinite loop and I terminate after a few seconds using ctrl + . my image grows to approximately 500MB.

The problem is, if I close all the windows, call Smalltalk garbageCollect as many times as I want, the image is still 500MB (or 1.2GB in my real-case scenario). 

Cheers,
Jan

!!!*************************************************************************************
"Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.!!!"

Reply | Threaded
|

Jan Kurš-2
Are you sure about this?

I cannot reproduce this behavior in Pharo5 image, only in the latest Moose 6.

Cheers,
Jan

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:40 PM Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,

Vincent

Cheers,
Jan

!!!*************************************************************************************
"Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.!!!"

Reply | Threaded
|

Andrei Chis
In reply to this post by Blondeau Vincent
Hi Jan,

Can you try again in the latest moose image.

I just fixed a bug related to that.

Cheers,
Andrei

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,

Vincent

Cheers,
Jan

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

What bug was that?

Cheers,
Doru

> On May 11, 2016, at 5:43 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jan,
>
> Can you try again in the latest moose image.
>
> I just fixed a bug related to that.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrei
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  
>
> It is a known problem in the Pharo 5 image due to spur migration.
>
> The memory is released but the image file is not reduced at saving time.
>
>  
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vincent
>
>  
>
> De : [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part de Jan Kurš
> Envoyé : mercredi 11 mai 2016 17:34
> À : Moose-related development
> Objet : [Moose-dev] Moose image does not shrink
>
>  
>
> If I download latest and greatest moose image and latest and greatest VM for linux, I evaluate this code:
>
>  
>
>
>  
>
>  
>
> That leads to an infinite loop and I terminate after a few seconds using ctrl + . my image grows to approximately 500MB.
>
>  
>
> The problem is, if I close all the windows, call Smalltalk garbageCollect as many times as I want, the image is still 500MB (or 1.2GB in my real-case scenario).
>
>  
>
> Cheers,
> Jan
>
>
> !!!*************************************************************************************
> "Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.
>
> This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.!!!"
>
> Moose-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
>
>
> Moose-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Reply | Threaded
|

Jan Kurš-2
In reply to this post by Andrei Chis
Andrei, you made my day :)

I will be late for my next meeting, but I see the image to shrink! Thanks!

By any chance, do you have a fix for my already big image?

Cheers,
Jan

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:44 PM Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jan,

Cheers,
Andrei

Hi,

Cheers,

Vincent

Cheers,
Jan

Reply | Threaded
|

Andrei Chis
In reply to this post by Tudor Girba-2
A weak announcement used in the wrong place.

Cheers,
Andrei

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

What bug was that?

Cheers,
Doru

> On May 11, 2016, at 5:43 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jan,
>
> Can you try again in the latest moose image.
>
> I just fixed a bug related to that.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrei
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>
>
> It is a known problem in the Pharo 5 image due to spur migration.
>
> The memory is released but the image file is not reduced at saving time.
>
>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vincent
>
>
>
> De : [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part de Jan Kurš
> Envoyé : mercredi 11 mai 2016 17:34
> À : Moose-related development
> Objet : [Moose-dev] Moose image does not shrink
>
>
>
> If I download latest and greatest moose image and latest and greatest VM for linux, I evaluate this code:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> That leads to an infinite loop and I terminate after a few seconds using ctrl + . my image grows to approximately 500MB.
>
>
>
> The problem is, if I close all the windows, call Smalltalk garbageCollect as many times as I want, the image is still 500MB (or 1.2GB in my real-case scenario).
>
>
>
> Cheers,
> Jan
>
>
> !!!*************************************************************************************
> "Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.
>
> This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.!!!"
>
> Moose-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
>
>
> Moose-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Reply | Threaded
|

abergel
Great community effort!
thanks guy!

Alexandre
-- 
_,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

On May 11, 2016, at 12:49 PM, Jan Kurš <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cheers,
Jan

Hi Jan,

Cheers,
Andrei

Hi,

Cheers,

Vincent

Cheers,
Jan

Reply | Threaded
|

Andrei Chis
Don't have an already prepared script but it should be possible to fix it also in previous images.

Cheers,
Andrei

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Jan Kurš <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cheers,
Jan

Hi Jan,

Cheers,
Andrei

Hi,

Cheers,

Vincent

Cheers,
Jan