Moose on pharo 2.0 -> moving it STHub

Usman Bhatti
Hello all,

Today, we worked on moving Moose on pharo2.0. We needed to update a few baselines because some packages were already present in Pharo2.0. For example,
- RPackage is already present in Pharo 2.0, so no need to load it in the image.
- PetitParser loads Glamour, which loads NECompletion and NEC does not have configuration for pharo2.0.

We decided to move all the moose code to STHub before porting it to 2.0 so that we can save changes somewhere. Some projects are created in STHub in the Moose team:

Fame (Moved all code from FAME on squeaksource to STHub, updated configurationOf to load from STHub + creating a version with latest dev.)

Glamour (in the process of downloading packages but its taking long, but glamour will be difficult because it has dependencies with other projects so may be it should be moved incrementally. Doru, I think you can take lead on that since you know the project better)

Moose (FAMIX + Moose-Core, downloading packages, will be committing next week)

PetitParser (will be moved next week too)

For people interested in moving code, here are the scripts for fetch and push.

==================================
"fetch all FAME packages from their repository"
| go |
go := Gofer new squeaksource: 'Fame'.
((go allResolved select: [:aPac |'*Fam*' match: aPac packageName ])
    do: [:each |
        self crLog: each packageName.
        go package: each packageName.
        Transcript show: each printString ; cr.
        go fetch.]).
======================================
"commit all FAME packages into the smalltalkhub FAME project"
|go repo|
repo := MCSmalltalkhubRepository
    owner: 'Moose'
    project: 'Fame'
    user: 'XXX'
    password: 'XXX'.

go := Gofer new.
go repository: repo.
(((FileSystem disk workingDirectory / 'package-cache')
allFiles select: [:each | '*Fame*.mcz' match: each basename])
groupedBy: [:each | (each base copyUpToLast: $-) ])
keys do: [:name | go package: name; push]

Now, moving to Pharo2.0 is important, so it will be good to kill this boring task by working collaboratively :-)

Usman

P.S: The last step of moving every project is to create a new baseline to point to STHub for the project and preferably create a version with that baseline.

Re: Moose on pharo 2.0 -> moving it STHub

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Thanks Usman for starting to do this. My net was down since yesterday, and did not see your other email. Indeed, we first have to move to StHub before doing anything.

However, we have to do it systematically:
- We make all repositories on squeaksource readonly
- We move only what is needed
- We double check that what we wanted to move was actually moved

Regarding PetitParser, please do not move it yet. This is the project of Lukas, and first we have to ask him nicely about the plans he has with it. Perhaps he does not want to have it somewhere else in which case we have to see how we deal with having it working on the latest Pharo. In any case, the first step is to ask the main author.

Regarding Moose, I am not sure what you are downloading, but if you just say Moose-Core and FAMIX, I am a bit skeptical. Please let's not deal with this hastily.

I will start looking into this next week.

Btw, we still did not release 4.7 :).

Cheers,
Doru

On Feb 8, 2013, at 5:42 PM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Today, we worked on moving Moose on pharo2.0. We needed to update a few baselines because some packages were already present in Pharo2.0. For example,
> - RPackage is already present in Pharo 2.0, so no need to load it in the image.
> - PetitParser loads Glamour, which loads NECompletion and NEC does not have configuration for pharo2.0.
>
> We decided to move all the moose code to STHub before porting it to 2.0 so that we can save changes somewhere. Some projects are created in STHub in the Moose team:
>
> Fame (Moved all code from FAME on squeaksource to STHub, updated configurationOf to load from STHub + creating a version with latest dev.)
>
> Glamour (in the process of downloading packages but its taking long, but glamour will be difficult because it has dependencies with other projects so may be it should be moved incrementally. Doru, I think you can take lead on that since you know the project better)
>
> Moose (FAMIX + Moose-Core, downloading packages, will be committing next week)
>
> PetitParser (will be moved next week too)
>
> For people interested in moving code, here are the scripts for fetch and push.
>
> ==================================
> "fetch all FAME packages from their repository"
> | go |
> go := Gofer new squeaksource: 'Fame'.
> ((go allResolved select: [:aPac |'*Fam*' match: aPac packageName ])
>     do: [:each |
>         self crLog: each packageName.
>         go package: each packageName.
>         Transcript show: each printString ; cr.
>         go fetch.]).
> ======================================
> "commit all FAME packages into the smalltalkhub FAME project"
> |go repo|
> repo := MCSmalltalkhubRepository
>     owner: 'Moose'
>     project: 'Fame'
>     user: 'XXX'
>     password: 'XXX'.
>

> go := Gofer new.
> go repository: repo.
> (((FileSystem disk workingDirectory / 'package-cache')
> allFiles select: [:each | '*Fame*.mcz' match: each basename])
> groupedBy: [:each | (each base copyUpToLast: $-) ])
> keys do: [:name | go package: name; push]
>
> Now, moving to Pharo2.0 is important, so it will be good to kill this boring task by working collaboratively :-)
>
> Usman
>
> P.S: The last step of moving every project is to create a new baseline to point to STHub for the project and preferably create a version with that baseline.

www.tudorgirba.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: Moose on pharo 2.0 -> moving it STHub

> Thanks Usman for starting to do this. My net was down since yesterday, and did not see your other email. Indeed, we first have to move to StHub before doing anything.
>
> However, we have to do it systematically:
> - We make all repositories on squeaksource readonly
> - We move only what is needed
why?
For each project we should take all the history.

> - We double check that what we wanted to move was actually moved

Indeed we have (and will) creating a version with exact version for all the configuration for 1.4.
Then we have (and will) created a new baseline to point to smalltalkhub.
Then we will create a new baseline + version for 2.0.

Now there are differences between the latest baseline and the default one and this is annoying.

> Regarding PetitParser, please do not move it yet. This is the project of Lukas, and first we have to ask him nicely about the plans he has with it. Perhaps he does not want to have it somewhere else in which case we have to see how we deal with having it working on the latest Pharo. In any case, the first step is to ask the main author.

Sure! Ask lukas.
Now for projects we use for real we cannot rely on a server that may disappear tomorrow.
We are building synectique and we will build a lot of parsers and infrastructure using PetitParser, so we (as a community)
should have a way to store extensions and this should be in a logical place. There is not even an inbox on petitParser source (or we do not find it)

In addition redoing and checking all the configurationof will take us a lot of energy
so we should control the places where the project are stored or that authors are reactive because we may have to change some information.

> Regarding Moose, I am not sure what you are downloading,
Glamour

> but if you just say Moose-Core and FAMIX, I am a bit skeptical.

???

> Please let's not deal with this hastily.

yes well. We should start one day and it was today.

> I will start looking into this next week.
>
> Btw, we still did not release 4.7 :).

yes we know. Now if we want to give feedback to pharo 2.0 about problems and get a chance to see them fixed we should move.

On Feb 8, 2013, at 9:36 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks Usman for starting to do this. My net was down since yesterday, and did not see your other email. Indeed, we first have to move to StHub before doing anything.
>>
>> However, we have to do it systematically:
>> - We make all repositories on squeaksource readonly
>> - We move only what is needed
> why?
> For each project we should take all the history.

I wanted to say that we should only take the packages that are being used right now, and not all the cruft that exists in the repositories. We can move the obsolete packages into an obsolete repository in StHub.

Furthermore, given that some repositories should be split (like the Moose one), we have to take care how we do it.

>> - We double check that what we wanted to move was actually moved
>
> Indeed we have (and will) creating a version with exact version for all the configuration for 1.4.
> Then we have (and will) created a new baseline to point to smalltalkhub.
> Then we will create a new baseline + version for 2.0.
>
> Now there are differences between the latest baseline and the default one and this is annoying.

Yes, in the future, we should remove the default: and only rely on the #development symbolic version.

>> Regarding PetitParser, please do not move it yet. This is the project of Lukas, and first we have to ask him nicely about the plans he has with it. Perhaps he does not want to have it somewhere else in which case we have to see how we deal with having it working on the latest Pharo. In any case, the first step is to ask the main author.
>
> Sure! Ask lukas.
> Now for projects we use for real we cannot rely on a server that may disappear tomorrow.
> We are building synectique and we will build a lot of parsers and infrastructure using PetitParser, so we (as a community)
> should have a way to store extensions and this should be in a logical place. There is not even an inbox on petitParser source (or we do not find it)

If PetitParser, and Moose in general, is so important for you, it would be great to get some feedback from time to time :).

> In addition redoing and checking all the configurationof will take us a lot of energy
> so we should control the places where the project are stored or that authors are reactive because we may have to change some information.

Sure. Btw, this effort was performed, it's just that given that not many people bothered, I ended up doing it.

>> Regarding Moose, I am not sure what you are downloading,
> Glamour

What is with Glamour? In the end, I understood that you will not move it, and that I will.

This is what Usman wrote:
"Moose (FAMIX + Moose-Core, downloading packages, will be committing next week)"

So, from this mail, I do not know what will be moved.

>> Please let's not deal with this hastily.
>
> yes well. We should start one day and it was today.

I understand the urge.

Cheers,
Doru

> [...]

>>>   project: 'Fame'
>>>   user: 'XXX'
>>>   password: 'XXX'.
>>>

>>> go := Gofer new.
>>> go repository: repo.
>>> (((FileSystem disk workingDirectory / 'package-cache')
>>> allFiles select: [:each | '*Fame*.mcz' match: each basename])
>>> groupedBy: [:each | (each base copyUpToLast: $-) ])
>>> keys do: [:name | go package: name; push]
>>>
>>> Now, moving to Pharo2.0 is important, so it will be good to kill this boring task by working collaboratively :-)
>>>
>>> Usman
>>>
>>> P.S: The last step of moving every project is to create a new baseline to point to STHub for the project and preferably create a version with that baseline.
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

Re: Moose on pharo 2.0 -> moving it STHub

stephane ducasse

> I wanted to say that we should only take the packages that are being used right now, and not all the cruft that exists in the repositories. We can move the obsolete packages into an obsolete repository in StHub.

sure this is what we are doing.

> Furthermore, given that some repositories should be split (like the Moose one), we have to take care how we do it.

Indeed.

>>> - We double check that what we wanted to move was actually moved
>>
>> Indeed we have (and will) creating a version with exact version for all the configuration for 1.4.
>> Then we have (and will) created a new baseline to point to smalltalkhub.
>> Then we will create a new baseline + version for 2.0.
>>
>> Now there are differences between the latest baseline and the default one and this is annoying.
>
> Yes, in the future, we should remove the default: and only rely on the #development symbolic version.

Ok we will then change the configuration to do that.

>>> Regarding PetitParser, please do not move it yet. This is the project of Lukas, and first we have to ask him nicely about the plans he has with it. Perhaps he does not want to have it somewhere else in which case we have to see how we deal with having it working on the latest Pharo. In any case, the first step is to ask the main author.
>>
>> Sure! Ask lukas.
>> Now for projects we use for real we cannot rely on a server that may disappear tomorrow.
>> We are building synectique and we will build a lot of parsers and infrastructure using PetitParser, so we (as a community)
>> should have a way to store extensions and this should be in a logical place. There is not even an inbox on petitParser source (or we do not find it)
>
> If PetitParser, and Moose in general, is so important for you, it would be great to get some feedback from time to time :).

I think that you are again thinking that we are hidding changes that we may have done
but anything that we do on moose is PUBLIC. for petit parser guillaume extended it and send the code to lukas
but lukas preferred not to add it in the petit parser project.

>> In addition redoing and checking all the configurationof will take us a lot of energy
>> so we should control the places where the project are stored or that authors are reactive because we may have to change some information.
>
> Sure. Btw, this effort was performed, it's just that given that not many people bothered, I ended up doing it.

Yes I imagine well what it means.

>>> Regarding Moose, I am not sure what you are downloading,
>> Glamour
>
> What is with Glamour? In the end, I understood that you will not move it, and that I will.

I do not know. We downloaded on the machine of usman but he probably thought that it would be easier if you do it

what we want to do:
        - one versionned configuration for 1.4 on squeaksource
        - one baseline conifguration for 1.4 on squeaksource
        - then baseline/version for 2.0

it would be good that we all do the same.

>>> but if you just say Moose-Core and FAMIX, I am a bit skeptical.
>
> This is what Usman wrote:
> "Moose (FAMIX + Moose-Core, downloading packages, will be committing next week)"
>
> So, from this mail, I do not know what will be moved.

we are starting by the leaves and we will move up.

>>> Please let's not deal with this hastily.
>>
>> yes well. We should start one day and it was today.
>
> I understand the urge.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>>> I will start looking into this next week.
>>>
>>> Btw, we still did not release 4.7 :).
>>
>> yes we know. Now if we want to give feedback to pharo 2.0 about problems and get a chance to see them fixed we should move.

communicating experiences [was: Moose on pharo 2.0 -> moving it STHub]

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

No, I do not think that you are hiding changes. I just see that there is no communication about the experience. Here are some examples:
- Did you use the PetitParser browser? If yes, were there bugs, issues? For example, Jan used it for a couple of days and found 3 issues with it.
- Did you happen to have any particular problem with expressing parsers?
- How did you deal with performance when parsing large code bases?
- Did you enjoy using Moose at all? If yes, what part of it? :)

Anything, really. It just boosts the morale knowing that all the work is not it in vain :).

On Feb 9, 2013, at 9:13 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> If PetitParser, and Moose in general, is so important for you, it would be great to get some feedback from time to time :).
>
> I think that you are again thinking that we are hidding changes that we may have done
> but anything that we do on moose is PUBLIC. for petit parser guillaume extended it and send the code to lukas
> but lukas preferred not to add it in the petit parser project.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: communicating experiences [was: Moose on pharo 2.0 -> moving it STHub]

stephane ducasse

On Feb 9, 2013, at 9:30 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> No, I do not think that you are hiding changes. I just see that there is no communication about the experience. Here are some examples:
> - Did you use the PetitParser browser? If yes, were there bugs, issues? For example, Jan used it for a couple of days and found 3 issues with it.

I will ask guillaume.

> - Did you happen to have any particular problem with expressing parsers?

Not really :)

> - How did you deal with performance when parsing large code bases?

Not that I heard

> - Did you enjoy using Moose at all? If yes, what part of it? :)

Yes

> Anything, really. It just boosts the morale knowing that all the work is not it in vain :).

We are moving :)

Stef

> On Feb 9, 2013, at 9:13 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> If PetitParser, and Moose in general, is so important for you, it would be great to get some feedback from time to time :).
>>
>> I think that you are again thinking that we are hidding changes that we may have done
>> but anything that we do on moose is PUBLIC. for petit parser guillaume extended it and send the code to lukas
>> but lukas preferred not to add it in the petit parser project.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: communicating experiences [was: Moose on pharo 2.0 -> moving it STHub]

Guillaume Larcheveque

2013/2/10 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>

On Feb 9, 2013, at 9:30 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> No, I do not think that you are hiding changes. I just see that there is no communication about the experience. Here are some examples:
> - Did you use the PetitParser browser? If yes, were there bugs, issues? For example, Jan used it for a couple of days and found 3 issues with it.

I will ask guillaume.
I'm not using a lot PetitParser browser, only when I encounter a big problem. Usually, I write some tests and just implement rules.

> - Did you happen to have any particular problem with expressing parsers?

Not really :)
Not at all

> - How did you deal with performance when parsing large code bases?

Not that I heard
No problem about performance, the longer parsing we had was 15 minutes long for a more than a million lines of code system. This time is completely acceptable for us.

> - Did you enjoy using Moose at all? If yes, what part of it? :)

Yes
yes and especially petitParser which is in my opinion the best tool

> Anything, really. It just boosts the morale knowing that all the work is not it in vain :).

We are moving :)

Stef

> On Feb 9, 2013, at 9:13 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> If PetitParser, and Moose in general, is so important for you, it would be great to get some feedback from time to time :).
>>
>> I think that you are again thinking that we are hidding changes that we may have done
>> but anything that we do on moose is PUBLIC. for petit parser guillaume extended it and send the code to lukas
>> but lukas preferred not to add it in the petit parser project.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Guillaume Larcheveque

Re: Moose on pharo 2.0 -> moving it STHub

Nicolas Anquetil

On 02/08/2013 09:13 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks Usman for starting to do this. My net was down since yesterday, and did not see your other email. Indeed, we first have to move to StHub before doing anything.
>
> However, we have to do it systematically:
> - We make all repositories on squeaksource readonly
> - We move only what is needed
> - We double check that what we wanted to move was actually moved
>
> Regarding PetitParser, please do not move it yet. This is the project of Lukas, and first we have to ask him nicely about the plans he has with it. Perhaps he does not want to have it somewhere else in which case we have to see how we deal with having it working on the latest Pharo. In any case, the first step is to ask the main author.
OK
we are ready to do it here.
It's your call (& Lukas').

nicolas

> [...]
>>      owner: 'Moose'
>>      project: 'Fame'
>>      user: 'XXX'
>>      password: 'XXX'.
>>

>> go := Gofer new.
>> go repository: repo.
>> (((FileSystem disk workingDirectory / 'package-cache')
>> allFiles select: [:each | '*Fame*.mcz' match: each basename])
>> groupedBy: [:each | (each base copyUpToLast: $-) ])
>> keys do: [:name | go package: name; push]
>>
>> Now, moving to Pharo2.0 is important, so it will be good to kill this boring task by working collaboratively :-)
>>
>> Usman
>>
>> P.S: The last step of moving every project is to create a new baseline to point to STHub for the project and preferably create a version with that baseline.
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Nicolas Anquetil -- RMod research team (Inria)