Moose out of memory

Alain rastoul
Hi,
There was a previous message in the list about an out of memory problem with
Moose when running
3 times  MooseScripts createModelForConfigurationOfMoose
I downloaded moose suite 4.5 (Pharo 1.3) and played a bit with it reading
the moose book (nice).

IMHO although something is perhaps not completly clear in the vm in memory
allocation and/or ui process and/or low space watcher (I tryed to debug the
vm but did not succeed), here the problem seems to be in the Moose model.
I suspect that the problem is just that the cache  keeps a reference to the
Moose model each time the script is run, see at the end of
MooseScripts>>createModelForConfigurationOfMoose  the model is added to a
cache ((MooseModel root => MooseGroupRuntimeStorage>> byType) and takes abut
130M of memory each time.
clearing the Moose cache resolve the problem.
MooseModel allInstancesDo:[ :m | m remove ] seems to be working here, except
that there is an exception for the root model (I don't know Moose, it may
not be the best command).
Perhaps the moose model should not be added by type but overriden each time
(beeing identified by a "name" ?).

PS: Moose is cool :)

Cheers
Alain

Re: Moose out of memory

Stéphane Ducasse
Alain

igor fixed a problem in the windows VM. Now I do not know if this is available.

Stef

TX for the fix I will pass it to moosers

On Jun 26, 2011, at 6:43 PM, Alain Rastoul wrote:

> Hi,
> There was a previous message in the list about an out of memory problem with
> Moose when running
> 3 times  MooseScripts createModelForConfigurationOfMoose
> I downloaded moose suite 4.5 (Pharo 1.3) and played a bit with it reading
> the moose book (nice).
>
> IMHO although something is perhaps not completly clear in the vm in memory
> allocation and/or ui process and/or low space watcher (I tryed to debug the
> vm but did not succeed), here the problem seems to be in the Moose model.
> I suspect that the problem is just that the cache  keeps a reference to the
> Moose model each time the script is run, see at the end of
> MooseScripts>>createModelForConfigurationOfMoose  the model is added to a
> cache ((MooseModel root => MooseGroupRuntimeStorage>> byType) and takes abut
> 130M of memory each time.
> clearing the Moose cache resolve the problem.
> MooseModel allInstancesDo:[ :m | m remove ] seems to be working here, except
> that there is an exception for the root model (I don't know Moose, it may
> not be the best command).
> Perhaps the moose model should not be added by type but overriden each time
> (beeing identified by a "name" ?).
>
> PS: Moose is cool :)
>
> Cheers
> Alain

Re: Moose out of memory

Tudor Girba-2

I am happy you like Moose.

We know that "MooseScripts createModelForConfigurationOfMoose" creates a model that is stored in a global model cache. However, the idea was to reproduce an image that is large enough to not be openable with the Windows VM. The image with three large models opens just fine on Mac.

In the meantime, Igor produced a new version of the Windows VM that enables one to load this image. However, now the question is when these fixes will make it in the main branch.

Igor, do you happen to have an update on this issue?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: Moose out of memory

Igor Stasenko
On 26 June 2011 22:05, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am happy you like Moose.
>
> We know that "MooseScripts createModelForConfigurationOfMoose" creates a model that is stored in a global model cache. However, the idea was to reproduce an image that is large enough to not be openable with the Windows VM. The image with three large models opens just fine on Mac.
>
> In the meantime, Igor produced a new version of the Windows VM that enables one to load this image. However, now the question is when these fixes will make it in the main branch.
>
> Igor, do you happen to have an update on this issue?

I will include fix into my branch. The windows slave is now working,
so there is a little to do.. push the changes and update configs.

As for, whether this fix will be integrated into main branch, you
asking a wrong person.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Moose out of memory

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Igor,

On 27 Jun 2011, at 18:20, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 26 June 2011 22:05, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am happy you like Moose.
>>
>> We know that "MooseScripts createModelForConfigurationOfMoose" creates a model that is stored in a global model cache. However, the idea was to reproduce an image that is large enough to not be openable with the Windows VM. The image with three large models opens just fine on Mac.
>>
>> In the meantime, Igor produced a new version of the Windows VM that enables one to load this image. However, now the question is when these fixes will make it in the main branch.
>>
>> Igor, do you happen to have an update on this issue?
>>

> I will include fix into my branch. The windows slave is now working,
> so there is a little to do.. push the changes and update configs.

Great. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the fixed Gog VM :)

> As for, whether this fix will be integrated into main branch, you
> asking a wrong person.

I know, but I asked anyway :).

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: Moose out of memory

Alain rastoul
Thanks
I missed the point about the moose error.
Good news for the vm fixes, I missed Igor posts too :(
Cheers
Alain

le message de news: [hidden email]...

On Jun 27, 2011, at 6:20 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 26 June 2011 22:05, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am happy you like Moose.
>>
>> We know that "MooseScripts createModelForConfigurationOfMoose" creates a model that is stored in a global model cache. However, the idea was to reproduce an image that is large enough to not be openable with the Windows VM. The image with three large models opens just fine on Mac.
>>
>> In the meantime, Igor produced a new version of the Windows VM that enables one to load this image. However, now the question is when these fixes will make it in the main branch.
>>
>> Igor, do you happen to have an update on this issue?
>>

> I will include fix into my branch. The windows slave is now working,

Really?

Excellllllent! After all this fight.

> so there is a little to do.. push the changes and update configs.
>
> As for, whether this fix will be integrated into main branch, you
> asking a wrong person.
>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Moose out of memory

Igor Stasenko
On 27 June 2011 22:39, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2011, at 6:20 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> On 26 June 2011 22:05, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am happy you like Moose.
>>>
>>> We know that "MooseScripts createModelForConfigurationOfMoose" creates a model that is stored in a global model cache. However, the idea was to reproduce an image that is large enough to not be openable with the Windows VM. The image with three large models opens just fine on Mac.
>>>
>>> In the meantime, Igor produced a new version of the Windows VM that enables one to load this image. However, now the question is when these fixes will make it in the main branch.
>>>
>>> Igor, do you happen to have an update on this issue?
>>>

>> I will include fix into my branch. The windows slave is now working,
>
> Really?
>
> Excellllllent! After all this fight.

Yes, after some voodoo spells, today i got a VM built.

Good to know that process are really reproducable: built once using
git+config on my machine locally ==> repeating the same without
problems on hudson slave.
Except that setup is a bit different (tools, installs, paths, Windows
idiosyncrazy etc etc) and i had to fix it before everything could
start running.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Moose out of memory

Stéphane Ducasse

> Yes, after some voodoo spells, today i got a VM built.
>
> Good to know that process are really reproducable: built once using
> git+config on my machine locally ==> repeating the same without
> problems on hudson slave.
> Except that setup is a bit different (tools, installs, paths, Windows
> idiosyncrazy etc etc) and i had to fix it before everything could
> start running.

I'm happy :)
You see I'm simple :)

Stef