MooseId vs MooseName

Usman Bhatti
Hi guys

We are adding Author to Moose as an experience to learn how to extend moose.
In the past, for a moose entity with a unique name we were using the uniqueName as mooseID
What is the status now?

For example we would to make sure that author can be retrieved by their name

mooseModel entityNamed: 'me'
and that we do not have conflict with other Moose entity.

Re: MooseId vs MooseName

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

On 7 Nov 2011, at 14:05, Usman Bhatti wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> We are adding Author to Moose as an experience to learn how to extend moose.
> In the past, for a moose entity with a unique name we were using the uniqueName as mooseID
> What is the status now?

I do not understand the question. mooseName is not essential for storage, but it can be used to retrieve an element from a group based on it.

> For example we would to make sure that author can be retrieved by their name
>
> mooseModel entityNamed: 'me'
> and that we do not have conflict with other Moose entity.

Then, make it unique :). For example: 'Author - me'.

But, you would not want to use entityNamed on the whole model because you might end up having to lookup throughout millions of objects. Instead, you better use it on the group of authors:

mooseModel allAuthors entityNamed: 'me'.

Cheers,
Doru

> Stef

www.tudorgirba.com

"Live like you mean it."

Re: MooseId vs MooseName

Stéphane Ducasse

On Nov 7, 2011, at 10:37 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 7 Nov 2011, at 14:05, Usman Bhatti wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> We are adding Author to Moose as an experience to learn how to extend moose.
>> In the past, for a moose entity with a unique name we were using the uniqueName as mooseID
>> What is the status now?
>
> I do not understand the question. mooseName is not essential for storage, but it can be used to retrieve an element from a group based on it.

long time ago uniqueName was used as a mooseId and I was wondering if we should introduce a unique naming schema for new entity but this is not the case.

>> For example we would to make sure that author can be retrieved by their name
>>
>> mooseModel entityNamed: 'me'
>> and that we do not have conflict with other Moose entity.
>
> Then, make it unique :). For example: 'Author - me'.

Yes

> But, you would not want to use entityNamed on the whole model because you might end up having to lookup throughout millions of objects. Instead, you better use it on the group of authors:

Sure this is not the idea. In fact we are building a moose demo and as well practicing with usman.

> mooseModel allAuthors entityNamed: 'me'.

ok

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>> Stef

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Live like you mean it."

Re: MooseId vs MooseName

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Indeed, a long time ago (some 5+ years) the uniqueName was essential for storing the model management. In the meantime, it is no longer the case.

The mooseName is just a key that if it is unique can be used to easily query a group. If it is not unique, then you just do not benefit from the by name lookup mechanism, but you can still continue to store your entities in a group and have the group behave like a normal collection.

Cheers,
Doru

On 7 Nov 2011, at 23:14, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2011, at 10:37 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 7 Nov 2011, at 14:05, Usman Bhatti wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> We are adding Author to Moose as an experience to learn how to extend moose.
>>> In the past, for a moose entity with a unique name we were using the uniqueName as mooseID
>>> What is the status now?
>>
>> I do not understand the question. mooseName is not essential for storage, but it can be used to retrieve an element from a group based on it.
>
> long time ago uniqueName was used as a mooseId and I was wondering if we should introduce a unique naming schema for new entity but this is not the case.
>

>>> For example we would to make sure that author can be retrieved by their name
>>>
>>> mooseModel entityNamed: 'me'
>>> and that we do not have conflict with other Moose entity.
>>
>> Then, make it unique :). For example: 'Author - me'.
>
> Yes
>
>> But, you would not want to use entityNamed on the whole model because you might end up having to lookup throughout millions of objects. Instead, you better use it on the group of authors:
>
> Sure this is not the idea. In fact we are building a moose demo and as well practicing with usman.
>
>> mooseModel allAuthors entityNamed: 'me'.
>
> ok
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Live like you mean it."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Quality cannot be an afterthought."

Re: MooseId vs MooseName

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks this is what I thought but I forgot everything.

BTW there are some broken method in FamixNameResolver and we started to add two three method to be able to reach compiled method and class from famixMethod and famixClass.
in which packages do we put that?
Because this is more in FAMIX-Smalltalk than in FAMIX-implementation but this is really related to how to reach the smalltalk code.

Stef

On Nov 7, 2011, at 11:24 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Indeed, a long time ago (some 5+ years) the uniqueName was essential for storing the model management. In the meantime, it is no longer the case.
>
> The mooseName is just a key that if it is unique can be used to easily query a group. If it is not unique, then you just do not benefit from the by name lookup mechanism, but you can still continue to store your entities in a group and have the group behave like a normal collection.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 7 Nov 2011, at 23:14, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On Nov 7, 2011, at 10:37 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I do not understand the question. mooseName is not essential for storage, but it can be used to retrieve an element from a group based on it.
>>
>> long time ago uniqueName was used as a mooseId and I was wondering if we should introduce a unique naming schema for new entity but this is not the case.

>>> Then, make it unique :). For example: 'Author - me'.
>>
>> Yes
>>
>>> But, you would not want to use entityNamed on the whole model because you might end up having to lookup throughout millions of objects. Instead, you better use it on the group of authors:
>>
>> Sure this is not the idea. In fact we are building a moose demo and as well practicing with usman.
>>
>>> mooseModel allAuthors entityNamed: 'me'.
>>
>> ok
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Live like you mean it."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Quality cannot be an afterthought."

Re: MooseId vs MooseName

Tudor Girba-2
FAMIX-Smalltalk should be for the Smalltalk specific FAMIX extensions and entities.

The way to link to the Smalltalk image is another issue. At the moment it should get into FAMIX-Implementation.

Cheers,
Doru

On 7 Nov 2011, at 23:31, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Thanks this is what I thought but I forgot everything.
>
> BTW there are some broken method in FamixNameResolver and we started to add two three method to be able to reach compiled method and class from famixMethod and famixClass.
> in which packages do we put that?
> Because this is more in FAMIX-Smalltalk than in FAMIX-implementation but this is really related to how to reach the smalltalk code.
>
> Stef
>
> On Nov 7, 2011, at 11:24 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Indeed, a long time ago (some 5+ years) the uniqueName was essential for storing the model management. In the meantime, it is no longer the case.
>>
>> The mooseName is just a key that if it is unique can be used to easily query a group. If it is not unique, then you just do not benefit from the by name lookup mechanism, but you can still continue to store your entities in a group and have the group behave like a normal collection.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> long time ago uniqueName was used as a mooseId and I was wondering if we should introduce a unique naming schema for new entity but this is not the case.

>>> Yes

>>> Sure this is not the idea. In fact we are building a moose demo and as well practicing with usman.

>>> ok

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Quality cannot be an afterthought."

www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: MooseId vs MooseName

Stéphane Ducasse

On Nov 7, 2011, at 11:34 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> FAMIX-Smalltalk should be for the Smalltalk specific FAMIX extensions and entities.
>
> The way to link to the Smalltalk image is another issue. At the moment it should get into FAMIX-Implementation.

I thought the same but this is really funny that there was no code to get Smalltalk entities from FAMIX ones.
showing probably that we do not use moose even on our own system, sadly.

So we will publish the changes.

BTW do you have a " forward compatibility package" where we can add fixes done in 1.4 when we are working in 1.3?

On 8 Nov 2011, at 08:59, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2011, at 11:34 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> FAMIX-Smalltalk should be for the Smalltalk specific FAMIX extensions and entities.
>>
>> The way to link to the Smalltalk image is another issue. At the moment it should get into FAMIX-Implementation.
>
> I thought the same but this is really funny that there was no code to get Smalltalk entities from FAMIX ones.
> showing probably that we do not use moose even on our own system, sadly.
>
> So we will publish the changes.

Ok.

> BTW do you have a " forward compatibility package" where we can add fixes done in 1.4 when we are working in 1.3?

No. We do not have enough energy to deal with this complexity. Instead, we should focus on releasing fast and move fast altogether. 4.6 is already dragging since too long.

Cheers,
Doru

> Stef
>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 7 Nov 2011, at 23:31, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks this is what I thought but I forgot everything.
>>>
>>> BTW there are some broken method in FamixNameResolver and we started to add two three method to be able to reach compiled method and class from famixMethod and famixClass.
>>> in which packages do we put that?
>>> Because this is more in FAMIX-Smalltalk than in FAMIX-implementation but this is really related to how to reach the smalltalk code.
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

www.tudorgirba.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: MooseId vs MooseName

Stéphane Ducasse
ok I just created a frowardCompatibilityPackage for us because we have a deadline now.

Stef