More random stuff

Bill Schwab
Andy and Blair,

QuickCode's workspace wordwraps, and it shouln'd according to the VC.

Something strange happened when I loaded one of my packages; I _think_ it's
nothing.  After loading it and saving/loading the image, I noticed there was
a Folder [Local Disk (C:)] with just the test in it; the [$] folder was not
expanded.  I think it was just that I opened the package from the wrong
directory, in particular not under $???  The package properties (path) seem
to confirm that.  Anyway, I did my duty by mentioning it :)

I deployed a couple of apps today, and the stripping results are quite
impressive.  One app when from 2.3MB to 1.3MB, the other from 4.2MB to
1.9MB, and that's with the VM included in the smaller numbers.  Both apps do
a lot, so it's difficult to certify just yet that they really work.  They
respond well to the usual smoke tests though.

I had a recurrent problem with my mapping modes package being stripped; I
hacked ImageStripper before to fix it (and have rehacked it to make it
work).  The package in question contains only some loose methods.  Is this
one for the manual prerequisites?  How is that supposed to work?

A continuing saga: reading floats from strings.  I do a fair amount of that
for both research and clinical documentation purposes; it gets all the more
interesting when the entry happens via pen tablets.  Various factors
conspire to force me to assign values to things like '.', '.4', '4.', etc.
I created a custom type converter, and update it to match the stuff users
give me to Dolphin's parsing rules.  I modified my 4.0 code and unit tests,
all of which now pass under the beta.  Seems like understandable growing
pains; I'm really just mentioning it as feedback.

A Small SUnit rant: it sorta bugs me that #assert: is defined as it is.  I'm
using #should:, etc. and have so far been able to avoid it.  I'll second the
idea of removing the 'test runner' in favor of the SUnit browser.
Interstingly, uninstalling the SUnit tests removes the runner but, leaves
the browser.

Have you done any work on drop-downs lists in proportional layouts?  If so,
I can try to undo my workaround to see if the fixes are working.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: More random stuff

Blair McGlashan
Bill

You wrote in message news:[hidden email]...

> QuickCode's workspace wordwraps, and it shouln'd according to the VC.

Are you using a SmalltalkWorkspace in there? If so they pick up the setting
from Dolphin options when opened, which would presumably override any
setting you put on the actual view. This hasn't changed since 4.0 though.

> Something strange happened when I loaded one of my packages; I _think_
it's
> nothing.  After loading it and saving/loading the image, I noticed there
was
> a Folder [Local Disk (C:)] with just the test in it; the [$] folder was
not
> expanded.  I think it was just that I opened the package from the wrong
> directory, in particular not under $???  The package properties (path)
seem
> to confirm that.  Anyway, I did my duty by mentioning it :)

If you open a package that is not relative to the image, then you will see
additional top-level entries. If those packages are on different disks, then
the drive letters will appear.

> I deployed a couple of apps today, and the stripping results are quite
> impressive.  One app when from 2.3MB to 1.3MB, the other from 4.2MB to
> 1.9MB, and that's with the VM included in the smaller numbers.  Both apps
do
> a lot, so it's difficult to certify just yet that they really work.  They
> respond well to the usual smoke tests though.

Excellent.

> I had a recurrent problem with my mapping modes package being stripped; I
> hacked ImageStripper before to fix it (and have rehacked it to make it
> work).  The package in question contains only some loose methods.  Is this
> one for the manual prerequisites?  How is that supposed to work?

Yes, if the package contains only loose methods then it will not be
identified as a pre-requisite. There is no specific UI for setting up manual
pre-reqs (because it is rarely needed). You need to open an inspector on the
Package's properties  (PB package list context menu "Properties"). Select
the "manualPrerequisites" aspect, and add the names of the pre-requisite
package. There is one example in the base image, the "RBParser" package.

> A continuing saga: reading floats from strings.  I do a fair amount of
that
> for both research and clinical documentation purposes; it gets all the
more
> interesting when the entry happens via pen tablets.  Various factors
> conspire to force me to assign values to things like '.', '.4', '4.', etc.
> I created a custom type converter, and update it to match the stuff users
> give me to Dolphin's parsing rules.  I modified my 4.0 code and unit
tests,
> all of which now pass under the beta.  Seems like understandable growing
> pains; I'm really just mentioning it as feedback.

I agree there is a need to add a more relaxed conversion, and one that
respects locale specifics. The various #fromString: methods in the Number
hierarchy are intended to parse only the valid ANSI Smalltalk syntax.

For floats an idea might be to create a type converter that uses an API such
as VarR8FromString(), or a CRT function.

> A Small SUnit rant: it sorta bugs me that #assert: is defined as it is.
I'm
> using #should:, etc. and have so far been able to avoid it.  I'll second
the
> idea of removing the 'test runner' in favor of the SUnit browser.
> Interstingly, uninstalling the SUnit tests removes the runner but, leaves
> the browser.

Wrong place to be complaining about that I'm afraid.

> Have you done any work on drop-downs lists in proportional layouts?  If
so,
> I can try to undo my workaround to see if the fixes are working.

I don't think so.

Regards

Blair

Re: More random stuff

Bill Schwab
Hi Blair,

> > QuickCode's workspace wordwraps, and it shouln'd according to the VC.
>
> Are you using a SmalltalkWorkspace in there?

Yes, connected to a MultilineTextEdit.

> If so they pick up the setting
> from Dolphin options when opened, which would presumably override any
> setting you put on the actual view. This hasn't changed since 4.0 though.

Something is different.  The relevant aspects appear to be same when looking
at the view in the D5 VC, but, when running, the horizontal scrollbar is
gone and the text wraps.  It works as expected in 4.0.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.