Morphic Designer

Blake McBride
Greetings,

First, is it the general understanding that Morphic Designer is the best way to go when trying to write business GUI apps (i.e. text controls, drop downs, list boxes, buttons, check boxes, radio buttons, buttons, etc.)?

Second, trying to load Morphic Designer from Squeak 4.5 with:

   project: 'MetacelloRepository';
   install: 'ConfigurationOfDesigner'.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfDesigner) load.

does not work.  It gives some sort of back-trace that won't allow me to copy and paste here (I am a Squeak newbie) but the first line is:

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #signal

At this point, I am not interested in understanding the backtrace and fixing the problem.  I just thought that this package should have loaded cleanly.  This begs the questions: is Morphic Designer supported and used?

I've played with Morphic Designer with an older version of Squeak in the past.  I remember having some sort of difficulty then too but was able to get past it.  Does Morphic Designer still work?  How can I use it?

Thanks.

Blake

Re: Morphic Designer

marcel.taeumel (old)
Try this:

(Installer mc http: 'http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/')
   project: 'MetacelloRepository';
   install: 'ConfigurationOfDesigner'.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfDesigner) loadDevelopment.

Best,
Marcel

Re: Morphic Designer

Blake McBride
If I do:

(Installer mc http:
'http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/')
   project: 'MetacelloRepository';
   install: 'ConfigurationOfDesigner'.

I get the doesNotUnderstand: #signal error.

Thanks for the help!

--blake

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Blake McBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
I get Unknown selector on loadDevelopment.

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Try this:

(Installer mc http:
'http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/')
   project: 'MetacelloRepository';
   install: 'ConfigurationOfDesigner'.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfDesigner) loadDevelopment.

Best,
Marcel

Re: Morphic Designer

Stephan Eggermont-3
Blake wrote:
>First, is it the general understanding that Morphic Designer is the best way to go
>when trying to write business GUI apps (i.e. text controls, drop downs, list boxes,
>buttons, check boxes, radio buttons, buttons, etc.)?

General understanding is that the best way is to create a rich domain model that
allows you to generate most of the GUI. Business applications tend to have a large to
very large number of domain concepts, and GUI designers work on too low a level
to allow efficient cross-cutting changes to be made.

They are great for very small applications, to prototype and experiment, and to
customize the most used screens of the application. A first step towards making
them more useful for larger applications would be to stop using system wide fonts
and colors and to delegate that to an application level object, so you could e.g. refer
to the selected-tab-font-color and don't have to change that in 50 screens.

Stephan

Re: Morphic Designer

marcel.taeumel (old)
Well, you basically have to load the configuration script and run it. You can load the script via executing:

"(Installer mc http:
'http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/')
   project: 'MetacelloRepository';
   install: 'ConfigurationOfDesigner'."

Just tested; worked. Then, you can load the current development version of the designer via executing:

"ConfigurationOfDesigner loadDevelopment."

Works for me in a fresh Squeak 4.5.

Best,
Marcel

Re: Morphic Designer

Tobias Pape

On 09.07.2014, at 13:55, Blake McBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I get Unknown selector on loadDevelopment.

This is merely a Warning that Squeak has not yet seen anybody use the selector
#loadDevelopment, but that is ok. You should be able to confirm the
selector and just proceed.

Best
        -Tobias

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Try this:
>
> (Installer mc http:
> 'http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/')
>    project: 'MetacelloRepository';
>    install: 'ConfigurationOfDesigner'.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfDesigner) loadDevelopment.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Morphic Designer

Blake McBride
Interesting.  I started with a fresh image and it now works.  My image must have been bad in some way.  Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for the help!

Is Morphic Designer actively supported?

Is it considered production ready?

Any conversations about making it a standard part of Squeak?

Thanks!

Blake