Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

12
bpi

Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

bpi
I just found out that I can drop morphs on the main docking bar. When I show the docking bar’s context menu, the „accept drops“  checkbox is not clicked, though. Is this a bug or a feature?

Bernhard

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

Chris Muller-3
Definitely a feature.  I use it a lot to put often-used or temporary
menu items or working-morphs there...   where I know they'll remain
accessible because they won't get buried.

cbc

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

cbc
Ran into this recently with a very large morph (> 90% of screen real-estate).
How do you get that morph out of the docking bar?
I've resorted to quiting the image and starting over, which is really sub-optimal.  If I could not accept drops (or at least be prompted if I drop it when the option is to not accept drops), that would go a long way to helping.

Just now trying this out (not having paid attention to the 'accept drops' check box), I noticed that the very big morph makes Squeak unusable - the docking bar takes up so much space I can't usefully open any other window/morph at all in Squeak anymore.  Maybe a second guard to not allow such big morphs - or to shrink them if we do - should be added to the docking bar.

-cbc

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Definitely a feature.  I use it a lot to put often-used or temporary
menu items or working-morphs there...   where I know they'll remain
accessible because they won't get buried.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just found out that I can drop morphs on the main docking bar. When I show the docking bar’s context menu, the „accept drops“  checkbox is not clicked, though. Is this a bug or a feature?
>
> Bernhard

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

timrowledge

> On 08-12-2016, at 3:10 PM, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe a second guard to not allow such big morphs - or to shrink them if we do - should be added to the docking bar.

Wrap them in a TransformationMorph as part of the drop?

tim
Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

Jakob Reschke-2
Even if the bar did not "explode", dropping a System Browser or
another tool (SystemWindow) there might not be useful under any
circumstances, but it can happen accidentally (with
fastDragWindowForMorphic disabled) if you do not take care while
moving them around.

Since such tools cannot really be operated when shrinked to the
docking bar size, maybe they should not be droppable into the bar at
all. Unless you could park and simply drag them out again later, but
then they would actually be represented by another morph while in the
bar (or they should be collapsed).

Maybe a Morph could decide for itself whether it wants to be droppable
onto the docking bar. SystemWindows could straight out refuse, while
by default Morphs could ask the user or refuse immediately if their
height exceeds a certain limit, such as twice or thrice the docking
bar height or 10% of the screen height. As per the previous paragraph,
them refusing could also mean they will be wrapped up and stuffed
compactly into the bar for later retrieval instead.

Otherwise, it would be nice if the docking bar would at least return
to its previous height after a large morph has been dragged out of it.

Best,
Jakob

>> On 08-12-2016, at 3:10 PM, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Maybe a second guard to not allow such big morphs - or to shrink them if we do - should be added to the docking bar.
>
> Wrap them in a TransformationMorph as part of the drop?
>
> tim
> Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?

bpi

systemWindowEmbedOK was: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

bpi
For SystemWindows there is already a preference called „systemWindowEmbedOK: Determines whether, in Morphic, when a SystemWindow or MenuMorph is dropped onto a willing receptor, it should be deposited into that receptor.“

If this is disabled at least browsers cannot accidentially be dragged into the docking bar. I think this preference should be disabled by default. What do you think?

Cheers,
Bernhard

bpi

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

bpi
Interesting. How do you do that? Using one of the halos? Do you drag SystemWindows in there as well?

Do you agree that at least the „accept drops“ checkbox should be honoured. That way you could keep using the feature and others could avoid dragging something accidentially into the docking bar.

Bernhard

> Am 08.12.2016 um 22:40 schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:
>
> Definitely a feature.  I use it a lot to put often-used or temporary
> menu items or working-morphs there...   where I know they'll remain
> accessible because they won't get buried.

>> I just found out that I can drop morphs on the main docking bar. When I show the docking bar’s context menu, the „accept drops“  checkbox is not clicked, though. Is this a bug or a feature?

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

Patrick R.
From a previous discussion with Marcel I remember that the main docking bar previously rejected dropped system windows and accepted other morphs. For some reason the rejection of system windows is not working in 5.1.

Anyways, the "accept drops" checkbox should definitely be honored. :)

Some students in one of our courses regularly struggle with this and we show them the "context" menu on the world morph which has a checkbox for "Show main docking bar". When you uncheck and check it again the main docking bar is reset.

Bests
Patrick
Interesting. How do you do that? Using one of the halos? Do you drag SystemWindows in there as well?

Do you agree that at least the „accept drops“ checkbox should be honoured. That way you could keep using the feature and others could avoid dragging something accidentially into the docking bar.

Bernhard

> Am 08.12.2016 um 22:40 schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:
>
> Definitely a feature.  I use it a lot to put often-used or temporary
> menu items or working-morphs there...   where I know they'll remain
> accessible because they won't get buried.
>
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just found out that I can drop morphs on the main docking bar. When I show the docking bar’s context menu, the „accept drops“  checkbox is not clicked, though. Is this a bug or a feature?

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

Chris Muller-3
No need to restart Squeak.  You can simply blue click the morph you
dropped in there and then pick it up by its black halo (top center).

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Chris Cunningham
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ran into this recently with a very large morph (> 90% of screen
> real-estate).
> How do you get that morph out of the docking bar?
> I've resorted to quiting the image and starting over, which is really
> sub-optimal.  If I could not accept drops (or at least be prompted if I drop
> it when the option is to not accept drops), that would go a long way to
> helping.
>
> Just now trying this out (not having paid attention to the 'accept drops'
> check box), I noticed that the very big morph makes Squeak unusable - the
> docking bar takes up so much space I can't usefully open any other
> window/morph at all in Squeak anymore.  Maybe a second guard to not allow
> such big morphs - or to shrink them if we do - should be added to the
> docking bar.
>
> -cbc
>
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Definitely a feature.  I use it a lot to put often-used or temporary
>> menu items or working-morphs there...   where I know they'll remain
>> accessible because they won't get buried.
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > I just found out that I can drop morphs on the main docking bar. When I
>> > show the docking bar’s context menu, the „accept drops“  checkbox is not
>> > clicked, though. Is this a bug or a feature?
>> >
>> > Bernhard

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

Chris Muller-4
On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Interesting. How do you do that? Using one of the halos?

Usually I just drag and drop the morphs straight in.  Its a work-area,
like when a surgeon employs a tray of tools she's got set out for the
operation she's performing.  She needs quick, temporary, access.  I
put icons there or torn-off menu items temporarily depending on what
I'm doing.

> Do you drag SystemWindows in there as well?

No, never.  Only small / short things can go there effectively..

> Do you agree that at least the „accept drops“ checkbox should be honoured. That way you could keep using the feature and others could avoid dragging something accidentially into the docking bar.

Yes, but I think the default should be to remain on.

Re: systemWindowEmbedOK was: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

Chris Muller-3
Yeah, I think most people think of windows as a container of other
things, not a thing being contained itself.

Didn't even know about systemWindowEmbedOK:, +1 for its default value
to be false..

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 2:17 AM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For SystemWindows there is already a preference called „systemWindowEmbedOK: Determines whether, in Morphic, when a SystemWindow or MenuMorph is dropped onto a willing receptor, it should be deposited into that receptor.“
>
> If this is disabled at least browsers cannot accidentially be dragged into the docking bar. I think this preference should be disabled by default. What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard
>
>> Am 09.12.2016 um 00:51 schrieb Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Even if the bar did not "explode", dropping a System Browser or
>> another tool (SystemWindow) there might not be useful under any
>> circumstances, but it can happen accidentally (with
>> fastDragWindowForMorphic disabled) if you do not take care while
>> moving them around.
>>
>> Since such tools cannot really be operated when shrinked to the
>> docking bar size, maybe they should not be droppable into the bar at
>> all. Unless you could park and simply drag them out again later, but
>> then they would actually be represented by another morph while in the
>> bar (or they should be collapsed).
>>
>> Maybe a Morph could decide for itself whether it wants to be droppable
>> onto the docking bar. SystemWindows could straight out refuse, while
>> by default Morphs could ask the user or refuse immediately if their
>> height exceeds a certain limit, such as twice or thrice the docking
>> bar height or 10% of the screen height. As per the previous paragraph,
>> them refusing could also mean they will be wrapped up and stuffed
>> compactly into the bar for later retrieval instead.
>>
>> Otherwise, it would be nice if the docking bar would at least return
>> to its previous height after a large morph has been dragged out of it.
>>
>> Best,
>> Jakob

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

Hannes Hirzel
What was the conclusion of this thread?

In the most recent update the 'accept drops' of the DockingBar is still not set.
And if I set it, it is not honored.

How can this be fixed?

--Hannes

On 12/9/16, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Interesting. How do you do that? Using one of the halos?
>
> Usually I just drag and drop the morphs straight in.  Its a work-area,
> like when a surgeon employs a tray of tools she's got set out for the
> operation she's performing.  She needs quick, temporary, access.  I
> put icons there or torn-off menu items temporarily depending on what
> I'm doing.
>
>> Do you drag SystemWindows in there as well?
>
> No, never.  Only small / short things can go there effectively..
>
>> Do you agree that at least the „accept drops“ checkbox should be honoured.
>> That way you could keep using the feature and others could avoid dragging
>> something accidentially into the docking bar.
>
> Yes, but I think the default should be to remain on.

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

Eliot Miranda-2

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 5:20 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What was the conclusion of this thread?
>
> In the most recent update the 'accept drops' of the DockingBar is still not set.
> And if I set it, it is not honored.
>
> How can this be fixed?

And to add another related issue to the list, having accidentally dropped a browser into the menu bar and dragged it out again, I'd like to ask that the menu bar return to its original size when it contains no morphs that don't fit.  Resizing of using the yellow halo isn't easy and in my case is off by a few pixels.

Also, why not collapse system windows when dropping them into the menu bar?

> --Hannes
>
>> On 12/9/16, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Interesting. How do you do that? Using one of the halos?
>>
>> Usually I just drag and drop the morphs straight in.  Its a work-area,
>> like when a surgeon employs a tray of tools she's got set out for the
>> operation she's performing.  She needs quick, temporary, access.  I
>> put icons there or torn-off menu items temporarily depending on what
>> I'm doing.
>>
>>> Do you drag SystemWindows in there as well?
>>
>> No, never.  Only small / short things can go there effectively..
>>
>>> Do you agree that at least the „accept drops“ checkbox should be honoured.
>>> That way you could keep using the feature and others could avoid dragging
>>> something accidentially into the docking bar.
>>
>> Yes, but I think the default should be to remain on.

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

Chris Muller-3
I use it fairly frequently, It works for me.

Just tried it in a fully-updated trunk image.  Worked...

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 7:20 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What was the conclusion of this thread?
>
> In the most recent update the 'accept drops' of the DockingBar is still not set.
> And if I set it, it is not honored.
>
> How can this be fixed?
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 12/9/16, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Interesting. How do you do that? Using one of the halos?
>>
>> Usually I just drag and drop the morphs straight in.  Its a work-area,
>> like when a surgeon employs a tray of tools she's got set out for the
>> operation she's performing.  She needs quick, temporary, access.  I
>> put icons there or torn-off menu items temporarily depending on what
>> I'm doing.
>>
>>> Do you drag SystemWindows in there as well?
>>
>> No, never.  Only small / short things can go there effectively..
>>
>>> Do you agree that at least the „accept drops“ checkbox should be honoured.
>>> That way you could keep using the feature and others could avoid dragging
>>> something accidentially into the docking bar.
>>
>> Yes, but I think the default should be to remain on.

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

Chris Muller-3
The menu bar does not accept windows.  Windows are containers,
normally, they cannot and should not be able to be dragged into
anything.

On 4/6/17, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use it fairly frequently, It works for me.
>
> Just tried it in a fully-updated trunk image.  Worked...

Which version of Squeak? And dropping or not dropping which kind of
morph worked?

> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 7:20 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What was the conclusion of this thread?
>>
>> In the most recent update the 'accept drops' of the DockingBar is still
>> not set.
>> And if I set it, it is not honored.
>>
>> How can this be fixed?
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 12/9/16, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Usually I just drag and drop the morphs straight in.  Its a work-area,
>>> like when a surgeon employs a tray of tools she's got set out for the
>>> operation she's performing.  She needs quick, temporary, access.  I
>>> put icons there or torn-off menu items temporarily depending on what
>>> I'm doing.

>>> No, never.  Only small / short things can go there effectively..

>>> Yes, but I think the default should be to remain on.

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

Chris Muller-4
Any morph besides a SystemWindow.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 11:18 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/6/17, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I use it fairly frequently, It works for me.
>>
>> Just tried it in a fully-updated trunk image.  Worked...
>
> Which version of Squeak? And dropping or not dropping which kind of
> morph worked?
>

>> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 7:20 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> What was the conclusion of this thread?
>>>
>>> In the most recent update the 'accept drops' of the DockingBar is still
>>> not set.
>>> And if I set it, it is not honored.
>>>
>>> How can this be fixed?
>>>
>>> --Hannes

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

Hari
This is a hack- but I found that behaviour of the DockingBar in swallowing all passing morphs very irritating and fixed it in my image by setting "dropEnabled: false" in DockingBarMorph's initialize method.
Kind regards,
Hari

Hannes Hirzel wrote
What was the conclusion of this thread?

In the most recent update the 'accept drops' of the DockingBar is still not set.
And if I set it, it is not honored.

How can this be fixed?

--Hannes

On 12/9/16, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Interesting. How do you do that? Using one of the halos?
>
> Usually I just drag and drop the morphs straight in.  Its a work-area,
> like when a surgeon employs a tray of tools she's got set out for the
> operation she's performing.  She needs quick, temporary, access.  I
> put icons there or torn-off menu items temporarily depending on what
> I'm doing.
>
>> Do you drag SystemWindows in there as well?
>
> No, never.  Only small / short things can go there effectively..
>
>> Do you agree that at least the „accept drops“ checkbox should be honoured.
>> That way you could keep using the feature and others could avoid dragging
>> something accidentially into the docking bar.
>
> Yes, but I think the default should be to remain on.

Re: Morphs can be dropped on main docking bar

timrowledge

> On 06-04-2017, at 3:52 PM, Hari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is a hack- but I found that behaviour of the DockingBar in swallowing
> all passing morphs very irritating and fixed it in my image by setting
> "dropEnabled: false" in DockingBarMorph's initialize method.

I’m inclined the same way but if it has to accept drops of general morphs it really, really, ought to do the same trick that the ObjectExplorer does to make a thumbnail that will fit into the height of the dock bar. And probably make sure there is a good area surrounding it to allow a pickup to drag it out of the dock again - I just managed to drop one of those ‘rotating second hand’ morphs from Bob’s message about rotating morphs. The select target is impossible to hit, so it’s stuck there. :-(

tim
Strange OpCodes: MC: Melt down Core