Most important things to fix

Ted Kaehler-2
I was caught in a bad state when my internet went down.  I clicked on
(E), and the system went off to fetch that tool.  There was no reply,
and Lively was completely locked up.  Every minute I get Chrome's
dialog "Kill Page" or "Wait".

Is there a way to stop this request and continue working in the page?
Cmd-Period did not work.  No Lively object would respond.

A basic requirement of Lively is that I be able to stop any internet
request and continue working.

This leads me to my second question.  How can I easily load what I
need to work completely locally?  I need a local server on my machine
that has the javascript files and the parts bin.  I'd like to have
everything that Lively needs to run and do development.

I understand that this has been discussed on the list.  I would like
to try the current best solution.

(I am just a beginner.)

--Ted.

--
Ted Kaehler
If at first you don't succeed  ...  get new batteries.    --anon

Re: Most important things to fix

milan zimmermann
Hi Ted:

I am on the same boat - a Lively beginner working on my "personal"
local install. While I think/hope after the next round I will have a
localhost version working, (some of the steps have been discussed) I
wonder if short-term best approach for newcomers would be to create a
virtual machine image (e.g for VirtualBox) that has all Lively
installed and working, that would remove the pain of configuring
Apache+webdav+svn (etc). (Although I plan to end up writing an
automated installer that, if finished will only work on one Linux
distro)

milan

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Ted Kaehler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was caught in a bad state when my internet went down.  I clicked on (E),
> and the system went off to fetch that tool.  There was no reply, and Lively
> was completely locked up.  Every minute I get Chrome's dialog "Kill Page" or
> "Wait".
>
> Is there a way to stop this request and continue working in the page?
> Cmd-Period did not work.  No Lively object would respond.
>
> A basic requirement of Lively is that I be able to stop any internet request
> and continue working.
>
> This leads me to my second question.  How can I easily load what I need to
> work completely locally?  I need a local server on my machine that has the
> javascript files and the parts bin.  I'd like to have everything that Lively
> needs to run and do development.
>
> I understand that this has been discussed on the list.  I would like to try
> the current best solution.
>
> (I am just a beginner.)
>
> --Ted.
>
> --
> Ted Kaehler
> If at first you don't succeed  ...  get new batteries.    --anon
> Viewpoints Research Institute
> http://www.vpri.org/html/team_bios/kaehler.html

Re: Most important things to fix

Robert Krahn-4
Don't we have an automated installer already? Fabian?