Move MetaObjectTools from core to PharoDev

Move MetaObjectTools from core to PharoDev

Mariano Martinez Peck
This package should be removed from core but it should still be loadable. Thus, when needed, they can be easily installed. On the other hand, it could  be in PharoDev image.

- MetaObjectTools:  This package is moved to PharoDev. It doesnt have any users in PharoCore

To fix, evaluate:

(MCPackage named: 'ObjectMetaTools') unload.

I created and put such code in http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectMetaTools

To load it again in a Pharo image:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'ObjectMetaTools';
    package: 'ObjectMetaTools';
    load.

During the week I will analyze the CUIS' ProtocolCatcher and see if it make sense to put it there too.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: Move MetaObjectTools from core to PharoDev

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks I will do that!
can you open a ticket because the list is starting to get long of the stuff to integrate after martin's changes.
BTW did you check if the other class besides ProtocolCatcher are working?

Stef

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks I will do that!
can you open a ticket because the list is starting to get long of the stuff to integrate after martin's changes.
BTW did you check if the other class besides ProtocolCatcher are working?

No. No time yet.

Stef

On Mar 20, 2010, at 4:22 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> This package should be removed from core but it should still be loadable. Thus, when needed, they can be easily installed. On the other hand, it could  be in PharoDev image.
>
> - MetaObjectTools:  This package is moved to PharoDev. It doesnt have any users in PharoCore
>
> To fix, evaluate:
>
> (MCPackage named: 'ObjectMetaTools') unload.
>
> I created and put such code in http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectMetaTools
>
> To load it again in a Pharo image:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'ObjectMetaTools';
>     package: 'ObjectMetaTools';
>     load.
>
> During the week I will analyze the CUIS' ProtocolCatcher and see if it make sense to put it there too.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Re: Move MetaObjectTools from core to PharoDev

Mariano Martinez Peck
Stef, I was thinking to put not only ProtocolCatcher but also all your stuff from ObjectAsMethodWrapper  in the same ObjectMetaTools.

That way we have a repository with cool stuff

what do you think ?

cheers

Mariano

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks I will do that!
can you open a ticket because the list is starting to get long of the stuff to integrate after martin's changes.
BTW did you check if the other class besides ProtocolCatcher are working?

No. No time yet.

Stef

On Mar 20, 2010, at 4:22 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> This package should be removed from core but it should still be loadable. Thus, when needed, they can be easily installed. On the other hand, it could  be in PharoDev image.
>
> - MetaObjectTools:  This package is moved to PharoDev. It doesnt have any users in PharoCore
>
> To fix, evaluate:
>
> (MCPackage named: 'ObjectMetaTools') unload.
>
> I created and put such code in http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectMetaTools
>
> To load it again in a Pharo image:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'ObjectMetaTools';
>     package: 'ObjectMetaTools';
>     load.
>
> During the week I will analyze the CUIS' ProtocolCatcher and see if it make sense to put it there too.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Re: Move MetaObjectTools from core to PharoDev

Stéphane Ducasse
Why not?
What would be good is to clean a bit the code of ObjectAsMethodWrapper
May be having a better package name can help.

Stef

> Stef, I was thinking to put not only ProtocolCatcher but also all your stuff from ObjectAsMethodWrapper  in the same ObjectMetaTools.
>
> That way we have a repository with cool stuff
>
> what do you think ?
>
> cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks I will do that!
> can you open a ticket because the list is starting to get long of the stuff to integrate after martin's changes.

> BTW did you check if the other class besides ProtocolCatcher are working?
>

> No. No time yet.
>

> Stef
>
> On Mar 20, 2010, at 4:22 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> > This package should be removed from core but it should still be loadable. Thus, when needed, they can be easily installed. On the other hand, it could  be in PharoDev image.
> >
> > - MetaObjectTools:  This package is moved to PharoDev. It doesnt have any users in PharoCore
> >
> > To fix, evaluate:
> >
> > (MCPackage named: 'ObjectMetaTools') unload.
> >
> > I created and put such code in http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectMetaTools
> >
> > To load it again in a Pharo image:
> >
> > Gofer new
> >     squeaksource: 'ObjectMetaTools';
> >     package: 'ObjectMetaTools';
> >     load.
> >
> > During the week I will analyze the CUIS' ProtocolCatcher and see if it make sense to put it there too.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mariano

Re: Move MetaObjectTools from core to PharoDev

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ok. Done. In http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectMetaTools

you will find two packages: MethodWrappers and ObjectMetaTools

ObjectMetaTools has ObjectTracer, ObjectViewer and ProtocolCatcher (brought from Cuis)

MethodWrappers has a first migration of the implementation of MethodWrappers from here:

http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectsAsMethodsWrap

It has some changes to the original implementation.

- Instead of storing the old selector and the class in the wrapper, now it is stored a MethodReference
- Give another try to use directly methodDict at:put: to install and uninstall wrapers, instead of addSelector: withMethod:
- As an example, now there is an implementation of TestCoverage

That's all for now. This is tested in 1.0 and 1.1 :)

Cheers

Mariano

On Mar 23, 2010, at 4:38 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Ok. Done. In http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectMetaTools
>
> you will find two packages: MethodWrappers and ObjectMetaTools
>
> ObjectMetaTools has ObjectTracer, ObjectViewer and ProtocolCatcher (brought from Cuis)
>
> MethodWrappers has a first migration of the implementation of MethodWrappers from here:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectsAsMethodsWrap
>
> It has some changes to the original implementation.
>
> - Instead of storing the old selector and the class in the wrapper, now it is stored a MethodReference

are you sure that this is better.
We should really clean methodReference because it holds information sich as the version string that nobody understand the use
of it

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mar 23, 2010, at 4:38 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Ok. Done. In http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectMetaTools
>
> you will find two packages: MethodWrappers and ObjectMetaTools
>
> ObjectMetaTools has ObjectTracer, ObjectViewer and ProtocolCatcher (brought from Cuis)
>
> MethodWrappers has a first migration of the implementation of MethodWrappers from here:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectsAsMethodsWrap
>
> It has some changes to the original implementation.
>
> - Instead of storing the old selector and the class in the wrapper, now it is stored a MethodReference

are you sure that this is better.
We should really clean methodReference because it holds information sich as the version string that nobody understand the use
of it

no, I am not sure at all ;)

ufffff you are completely right. It was "easier" to have a MethodReference but I didn't realize how many things were being kept there.

I wouldn't remove MethodReference. I like the idea of having a lightweight proxy for CompiledMethod. Why you want to remove it ?
can we make it better ?  For example, now I can add class side methods to create instances but with only the things I need: the selector and the class.
does it need a clean ?

Thanks for looking at it :)