Moving In a Package

Dan Norton
Greetings,

What is the best way to load or install a Monticello package (.mcz) on Cuis.
I know changes will be required in order for it to run (Morph layouts, Filestreams, ;cr to
mention a few) but I want to use this as a means of learning Cuis.

Thanks,
 - Dan

Re: Moving In a Package

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Dan,

On 15/01/2015 05:36 p.m., Dan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> What is the best way to load or install a Monticello package (.mcz) on Cuis.
> I know changes will be required in order for it to run (Morph layouts, Filestreams, ;cr to
> mention a few) but I want to use this as a means of learning Cuis.
>
> Thanks,
>   - Dan

Welcome!

Package Compression.pck.st includes support for .mcz, letting you treat
them as changesets.

Alternatively, you can add the .zip extension to any .mcz, end extract
with any program that handles .zip files. Inside, besides some extra
stuff, you'll find a .st file with all the code.

Finally, you can also use Squeak to save the code as a fileOut.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Moving In a Package

Dan Norton
On 17 Jan 2015 at 9:13, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> On 15/01/2015 05:36 p.m., Dan wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > What is the best way to load or install a Monticello package
> (.mcz) on Cuis.
> > I know changes will be required in order for it to run (Morph
> layouts, Filestreams, ;cr to
> > mention a few) but I want to use this as a means of learning
> Cuis.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >   - Dan
>
> Welcome!
>
> Package Compression.pck.st includes support for .mcz, letting you
> treat
> them as changesets.

Very good. I have been filing in changesets for several days but raised the debugger with the
first one. The chunk was a string of stuff that was not in my changeset. Other changesets
loaded OK but that first one consistently choked on that same chunk. Finally, after putting
halts in various places I put one at the top of the method. When it stopped there, I hit the
Proceed button and the changeset was loaded without complaint. I've moved on, what more
can I tell you?

> Alternatively, you can add the .zip extension to any .mcz, end
> extract
> with any program that handles .zip files. Inside, besides some extra
> stuff, you'll find a .st file with all the code.

That's interesting. I'll try that.

> Finally, you can also use Squeak to save the code as a fileOut.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Best regards,
Dan Norton

Re: Moving In a Package

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Dan,

On 17/01/2015 10:36 p.m., Dan wrote:

> On 17 Jan 2015 at 9:13, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> Welcome!
>>
>> Package Compression.pck.st includes support for .mcz, letting you
>> treat
>> them as changesets.
>>
> Very good. I have been filing in changesets for several days but raised the debugger with the
> first one. The chunk was a string of stuff that was not in my changeset. Other changesets
> loaded OK but that first one consistently choked on that same chunk. Finally, after putting
> halts in various places I put one at the top of the method. When it stopped there, I hit the
> Proceed button and the changeset was loaded without complaint. I've moved on, what more
> can I tell you?

Can you send us that failing changeset? I'm curious, and it maybe it
could let us fix some bug, or at least understand the problem.

>> Alternatively, you can add the .zip extension to any .mcz, end
>> extract
>> with any program that handles .zip files. Inside, besides some extra
>> stuff, you'll find a .st file with all the code.
>>
> That's interesting. I'll try that.
>
>> Finally, you can also use Squeak to save the code as a fileOut.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich
> Best regards,
> Dan Norton

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Moving In a Package

Dan Norton
At the moment, I'm unable to reproduce it but if it occurs later I will send the changeset.