Moving a Pharo window under Centos

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
I’m trying out Pharo on Centos.
Since I don’t have a spare PC that I can install Centos, I installed on my Mac under Parallels.

Centos runs fine, and I was able to install latest Pharo 8.0.

With any other windows under Centos I can grab the title bar, move it, then drop it where I like.
However, inside Pharo, any window I grab by the title bar, though it moves to follow my cursor,  Does not drop when I let up on the mouse.
I’m then stuck where all I can do is drag that window around but never drop it.
For some reason when I Cmd-tab away to a Mac App, then move the cursor back to Pharo it only rarely fixes the problem.

Anybody else run Pharo under Centos, under Parallels?

Anybody else seen this?

Is there a fix or a workaround?

Re: Moving a Pharo window under Centos

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi michael

pay attention because parallels is simulating so the crew here got some problems that there are low level difference
and we had to have a windows machine for real.

S.

From: Michael Burns <[hidden email]>
Subject: Moving a Pharo window under Centos
Date: 24 May 2020 at 22:51:54 CEST
Cc: Michael Burns <[hidden email]>

I’m trying out Pharo on Centos.
Since I don’t have a spare PC that I can install Centos, I installed on my Mac under Parallels.

Centos runs fine, and I was able to install latest Pharo 8.0.

With any other windows under Centos I can grab the title bar, move it, then drop it where I like.
However, inside Pharo, any window I grab by the title bar, though it moves to follow my cursor,  Does not drop when I let up on the mouse.
I’m then stuck where all I can do is drag that window around but never drop it.
For some reason when I Cmd-tab away to a Mac App, then move the cursor back to Pharo it only rarely fixes the problem.

Anybody else run Pharo under Centos, under Parallels?

Anybody else seen this?

Is there a fix or a workaround?

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Moving a Pharo window under Centos

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Good news on this issue:

I changed Parallels to Coherence Mode where every window floats free on the Mac display.
This problem does not occur in Coherence.

The thinking was that events like Mouse Down and Up are somewhat time sensitive.
My guess is that without Coherence mode windows has more levels of event propagation.
The System Browser depends on Pharo,  Pharo depends on Centos, Centos depends on Parallels, and finally Parallels depends on MacOS.
I’m guessing that Coherence mode cuts out one or two levels of event propagation (maybe Centos and/or Parallels).

Any better interpretation?

In any case, this problem is no longer an issue for me.