Moving from Slack to Discord

kilon.alios
I have been aware about Discord for some time now , but I never used it because both Pharo and Unreal channels are on Slack. From my small experience with it, it seemed much more superior to Slack with added bonus that is completely free (open source ) and with no restrictions unlike Slack.

But something happened suddenly yesterday, I opened Unreal in Slack and it was gone with a notification that they moved to Discord. So I grabbed this opportunity to create a Pharo server you can join here

https://discord.gg/F6nAd

Discord works as web apps but also you can download as an app for Windows, Macos , iOS and Android.

I will be around in Discord because I generally browser Unreal channels. The nice thing about Discord also is that it offers both audio and video chat for free which can work great for Pharo sprints. Anyway there is no harm on testing it.

Re: Moving from Slack to Discord

kilon.alios
Thanks all of the people who joined us we are already 14 members including 2 administrators me and Esteban. Discord has passed this daily test, it supports markup which means you can paste Pharo code with Smalltalk syntax highlighting, it previews links, edit messages, has YouTube and Twitch integrations. I also tested the mobile clients for iOS and android. Everything looks like it works fine, a search facility is missing but this is to be added by the development team later on.

Now what remains is to test twitch and YouTube integration and also video and voice chat.

Talking about twitch I decided to make screencasts for Pharo , probably one hour long. The advantage over YouTube tutorials is that it's real time so we can make the lesson interactive and you can ask me questions and chat with me during the screencast.

I will alert when the screencast will take place with a later post.

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 at 15:42, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi Kilon,

Why move there? Just because Unreal is using it and dropped Slack doesn't mean it doesn't work for a small community like ours.

I would avoid adding noise here and stick with what already works. It took us some time to reach ~250 members in https://pharoproject.slack.com/. Balkanization is never a good thing.

However you're free to create as many channels as you like, users will tell their preference with activity in either.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

[...]

The main reason why Unreal has abandoned Slack is the reason I made the Discord server and that is 10.000 messages limit. Not only Slack asks payment for more but it also deletes anything that passes that limit.

For me and Esteban and I suspect many people that's unacceptable when there a ton of gems going in slack , whether it's code fragments, link and discoveries, we should not let these treasures be lost.

Also the low latency voice chat can become really handy for meetings and sprints. And by the way I have just started testing it, so there is probably a lot more.

Also a big plus is that Discord is free software like Pharo ;)
On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 at 22:14, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Is there a way to link Slack with Discord? I remember people asking for a IRC gateway when I setup the Slack channel, don't know whether they still use IRC or the gateway at all.

I could change easily, I don't like the fact that I'll have to install another app in my phone... but whatever... no big deal.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

[...]

Minor correction Discord is not free software but it offers all its services for free. So it's not like Pharo after all.

Another advantage I found is that part of the plans is a screen sharing feature that can it much easier for us to show codes and bugs.
On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 at 22:25, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hold your horses we still testing it out. No need to rush things. Stick with Slack, that's fine.

I don't know about linking Slack and Discord. Personally I don't see the point, when we created Slack , the IRC channel died out. The same will happen to slack if discord proves as good as we assume it is. People want what's better and who can blame them.

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 at 22:37, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Gour
On Thu, 08 Sep 2016 19:36:24 +0000
wrote:

> Minor correction Discord is not free software but it offers all its
> services for free. So it's not like Pharo after all.

When we speak about 'services for free', I'm always suspicious in regard
to privacy...here is a recent post
(https://threema.ch/en/blog/posts/another-diminishment-of-privacy-whatsapp-shares-users-phone-numbers-with-facebook)
confirming it...I understand that many users like new/better services,
but, personally, I'd be happy staying with old IRC considering that in
order to preserve jewels, mailing lists are much better option that
chatting apps.

Moreover, there is no native app for Linux - something available with
Slack and Gitter (which I like due to ability to use markdown markup).

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The work of a man who is unattached to the modes of material
nature and who is fully situated in transcendental knowledge

Re: Moving from Slack to Discord

kilon.alios
Well it's a free world after all , so you are welcome to use whatever you like.

But on the one hand you talk about safety and then you mention IRC which is the polar opposite to safety.

I also consider another chat client , rocket chat

https://rocket.chat

This one is open source using our favorite license MIT, and available at Github. It already offers screen sharing and a client for Linux. But it does not have a client on iOS and Android which for me at least is a big deal.

Well the way I see it is like this, it's kinda ironic to love live code and live data but not live chat, and kinda funny too. Of course they offer far more than chat.
wrote:

> Minor correction Discord is not free software but it offers all its
> services for free. So it's not like Pharo after all.

When we speak about 'services for free', I'm always suspicious in regard
to privacy...here is a recent post
(https://threema.ch/en/blog/posts/another-diminishment-of-privacy-whatsapp-shares-users-phone-numbers-with-facebook)
confirming it...I understand that many users like new/better services,
but, personally, I'd be happy staying with old IRC considering that in
order to preserve jewels, mailing lists are much better option that
chatting apps.

Moreover, there is no native app for Linux - something available with
Slack and Gitter (which I like due to ability to use markdown markup).

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The work of a man who is unattached to the modes of material
nature and who is fully situated in transcendental knowledge
merges entirely into transcendence.

Re: Moving from Slack to Discord

kilon.alios
Hmm I am blind it has mobile clients after all. Looks like I will be testing it out soon. The more the merrier ;)

wrote:

> Minor correction Discord is not free software but it offers all its
> services for free. So it's not like Pharo after all.

When we speak about 'services for free', I'm always suspicious in regard
to privacy...here is a recent post
(https://threema.ch/en/blog/posts/another-diminishment-of-privacy-whatsapp-shares-users-phone-numbers-with-facebook)
confirming it...I understand that many users like new/better services,
but, personally, I'd be happy staying with old IRC considering that in
order to preserve jewels, mailing lists are much better option that
chatting apps.

Moreover, there is no native app for Linux - something available with
Slack and Gitter (which I like due to ability to use markdown markup).

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The work of a man who is unattached to the modes of material
nature and who is fully situated in transcendental knowledge
merges entirely into transcendence.

Re: Moving from Slack to Discord

Brad Selfridge
Plus, you can setup your own chat server
Brad Selfridge

Re: Moving from Slack to Discord

Gour
On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 16:35:32 -0300
"Esteban A. Maringolo"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a way to link Slack with Discord? I remember people asking
> for a IRC gateway when I setup the Slack channel, don't know whether
> they still use IRC or the gateway at all.

> I could change easily, I don't like the fact that I'll have to install
> another app in my phone... but whatever... no big deal.

You can try Franz (http://meetfranz.com/) - I'm using it to incorporate
Gitter & Slack within single app.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
From anger, complete delusion arises, and from delusion
bewilderment of memory. When memory is bewildered,

Re: Moving from Slack to Discord

Gour
On Thu, 08 Sep 2016 21:02:41 +0000
wrote:

> Well it's a free world after all , so you are welcome to use whatever
> you like.

Sure. ;)

> But on the one hand you talk about safety and then you mention IRC
> which is the polar opposite to safety.

Well, with IRC, I am , at least, from the very beginning spared from
any false promises like in the chat-app example cited in my previous
post which confirms that being free mostly means we're the product. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who restrains his senses, keeping them under full control,
and fixes his consciousness upon Me, is known as a man of

Re: Moving from Slack to Discord

kilon.alios
Yeap that's definetly a plus however it won't be free if you decide to use rocket server which gives Discord the edge here.

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 at 00:23, Brad Selfridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Plus, you can setup your own chat server

-----
Brad Selfridge

Re: Moving from Slack to Discord

Esteban A. Maringolo
K'mon Kilon, we need more agreement and cohesion and you bring Discord to this community! ;-)

Esteban A. Maringolo

Yeap that's definetly a plus however it won't be free if you decide to use rocket server which gives Discord the edge here.

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 at 00:23, Brad Selfridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Plus, you can setup your own chat server

-----
Brad Selfridge

Re: Moving from Slack to Discord

kilon.alios
Lol good one

Yeah I will be sticking with Discord , no need for maintenance , easy and simple, the way I like it. We have enough to maintain already .
On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 at 00:56, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
K'mon Kilon, we need more agreement and cohesion and you bring Discord to this community! ;-)

Esteban A. Maringolo

Yeap that's definetly a plus however it won't be free if you decide to use rocket server which gives Discord the edge here.

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 at 00:23, Brad Selfridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Plus, you can setup your own chat server

-----
Brad Selfridge

Re: Moving from Slack to Discord

Sean P. DeNigris