Moving store from Postgsql to MS SQL Server

Moving store from Postgsql to MS SQL Server

Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)

When publishing to a new SQL Server Store installation store raises an exception as below. This happens when replicating and when publishing directly from using the store publish menu item.  The image is VW 7.8 on Windows. Any suggestions?

Joerg

Unhandled exception: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'blobType', table 'NEWBERN1.dbo.TW_Blob'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

Re: Moving store from Postgsql to MS SQL Server

Steven Kelly

That sounds like you need Res99975, which corrects a bug whereby BLOB rows > 32000 bytes have their pointer to the next row incorrectly left as NULL, effectively truncating such data to 32000 bytes.

If the NULLs make it into the database, repairing the corrupt data by hand is rather time-consuming, and not particularly amenable to automation. (Thanks again to Dan D’Eramo for his help when we had to do this!) If this is a new repository, I’d suggest throwing it away and recreating it from scratch with at least 7.8.1, plus any Store patches (check the release notes for 7.9(.1) to find them).

All the best,

Steve

When publishing to a new SQL Server Store installation store raises an exception as below. This happens when replicating and when publishing directly from using the store publish menu item.  The image is VW 7.8 on Windows. Any suggestions?

Joerg

Unhandled exception: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'blobType', table 'NEWBERN1.dbo.TW_Blob'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

Re: Moving store from Postgsql to MS SQL Server

Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)

Thanks Steve

This does sound like it is on-point. I’ll get onto Cincom Support for that patch.

Joerg

When publishing to a new SQL Server Store installation store raises an exception as below. This happens when replicating and when publishing directly from using the store publish menu item.  The image is VW 7.8 on Windows. Any suggestions?

Joerg

Unhandled exception: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'blobType', table 'NEWBERN1.dbo.TW_Blob'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

Re: Moving store from Postgsql to MS SQL Server

Niall Ross
Dear Joerg,

Steve Kelly wrote:

>If this is a new repository, I'd suggest throwing it away and recreating it from scratch with at least 7.8.1, plus any Store patches (check the release notes for 7.9(.1) to find them).

Changing the above to "at least 7.9.1" will save you needing to find the
patches (which are indeed strongly recommended for users of 7.8 through
7.9).  Since VW 7.10.1 is now out, there are some speed and other fixes
to be gained (and nothing to be lost), by using that.

             Yours faithfully
                   Niall Ross