Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

12

Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi all,

we are all finished importing the VM repository to Github, migrating the scripts, and setting up automatic builds and hosting of binaries.  We want to switch over from SVN tomorrow morning at 7am UTC. At that point, Tim and Fabio will merge any remaining commits on the SVN repository between now and that time and any further development will take place on Github.  If possible, you may refrain from committing to SVN, as this will mean less work for Tim and Fabio.

The new repository is at https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/vm. The Cog branch is the new default branch and is still called Cog, this is the main focus of development. The old trunk branch has been renamed to "oldTrunk". The master branch will track the Cog branch and will be the repository integrated into for releases.

To get started, please refer to the updated README that is shown on the Github page.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot, Tim & Fabio

Re: Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

EstebanLM

whoohoo!

thank you very much :)

Esteban

On 15 Jun 2016, at 19:26, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

best, Eliot, Tim & Fabio

Re: Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Tudor Girba-2

Thanks a lot!

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

Re: Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

timfelgentreff

Hi all,

as of 7:30 UTC the entire history of the SVN up to SVN revision 3745 was migrated to GitHub. Automatic builds are running (https://ci.appveyor.com/project/timfel/vm/branch/Cog, https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/vm) and binary artifacts are uploaded (https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion#files).

Right now we have enabled all platform, object memory and bytecode set combinations that I found build scripts for - most work, but OS X 64-bit Sista is failing right now (32-bit works). At some point we'll have to decide which combinations to put into the CI config as "allowed failures" to get a green badge :)

Another thing for those not familiar with Git: Right now the entire repository is 360MB, including all history. Most of that is old images that were at one point committed to SVN and that have been pulled into the repository. We could clean those out (removing them from the history) to make the repository smaller, but I felt ~400MB is still ok (albeit technically over the Github quota. We'll see of they complain). I would like to ask everyone to stop committing large binary files into the repository, however. Git is simply not very suited to dealing with binaries. If there is a need for that, Github has support for git-lfs, which offers 1GB of free storage with a 1GB bandwith limit per month. If we need more, we can look at the different billing levels.

If you're familiar with Git, the only new thing to watch out for is the updateSCSSVersions script as described in the README. It's not relevant for the CI, but your own binaries will only show correct versions if this script runs at appropriate times.

If you are not familiar with Git and don't care, there are scripts for committing that should take care of everything as described in the README. Again, let us know if anything doesn't work. The only difference vs SVN to watch out for for you will be that the old scripts/svnci would commit your changes to the server, whereas the scripts/gitci script only commits them locally. You'll have to run `git pull` and `git push` to get them up to the server.

If you have any questions regarding the repository setup please don't hesitate to ask. You shouldn't be able to break anything, since we've disabled force pushes to both master and Cog (and thus any chance of destroying history).

Thanks,
Tim & Fabio

On 15 June 2016 at 19:26, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

SergeStinckwich

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Tim Felgentreff
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,

Very impressive work, Tim&Fabio ! The power of full-automation !

> as of 7:30 UTC the entire history of the SVN up to SVN revision 3745 was
> migrated to GitHub. Automatic builds are running
> (https://ci.appveyor.com/project/timfel/vm/branch/Cog,
> https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/vm) and binary artifacts are uploaded
> (https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion#files).

About uploading binary artifacts, this is something I asked and this
nice that Fabio
make it work :-)

Apparently there is some problems with some artifacts that have a
double .zip extension.

> Right now we have enabled all platform, object memory and bytecode set
> combinations that I found build scripts for - most work, but OS X 64-bit
> Sista is failing right now (32-bit works). At some point we'll have to
> decide which combinations to put into the CI config as "allowed failures" to
> get a green badge :)
>
> Another thing for those not familiar with Git: Right now the entire
> repository is 360MB, including all history. Most of that is old images that
> were at one point committed to SVN and that have been pulled into the
> repository. We could clean those out (removing them from the history) to
> make the repository smaller, but I felt ~400MB is still ok (albeit
> technically over the Github quota. We'll see of they complain). I would like
> to ask everyone to stop committing large binary files into the repository,
> however. Git is simply not very suited to dealing with binaries. If there is
> a need for that, Github has support for git-lfs, which offers 1GB of free
> storage with a 1GB bandwith limit per month. If we need more, we can look at
> the different billing levels.
>
> If you're familiar with Git, the only new thing to watch out for is the
> updateSCSSVersions script as described in the README. It's not relevant for
> the CI, but your own binaries will only show correct versions if this script
> runs at appropriate times.
>
> If you are not familiar with Git and don't care, there are scripts for
> committing that should take care of everything as described in the README.
> Again, let us know if anything doesn't work. The only difference vs SVN to
> watch out for for you will be that the old scripts/svnci would commit your
> changes to the server, whereas the scripts/gitci script only commits them
> locally. You'll have to run `git pull` and `git push` to get them up to the
> server.
>
> If you have any questions regarding the repository setup please don't
> hesitate to ask. You shouldn't be able to break anything, since we've
> disabled force pushes to both master and Cog (and thus any chance of
> destroying history).

What is favorite way of contributing for people outside the vm team ?
pull-requests ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Mariano Martinez Peck

This is very very cool. Thanks to all the people involved, and thanks Eliot for listening the "community's wishes".
I honestly thought it would take much longer or never happened. I am so glad to have been proven wrong!

Best,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 5:24 AM, Tim Felgentreff <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

kilon.alios

If I am not mistaken the GitHub upload limit is not longer there, it used to be around 400 MB but that is no longer the case, now its limitless,  so I doubt you will get any complains from github.

So how was the experience of porting to git overall ?

Feels great to have Cog in Github thank you :)

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:24 AM Tim Felgentreff <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ben Coman

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Tim Felgentreff
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>
> Very impressive work, Tim&Fabio ! The power of full-automation !
>
>> as of 7:30 UTC the entire history of the SVN up to SVN revision 3745 was
>> migrated to GitHub. Automatic builds are running
>> (https://ci.appveyor.com/project/timfel/vm/branch/Cog,
>> https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/vm) and binary artifacts are uploaded
>> (https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion#files).
>
> About uploading binary artifacts, this is something I asked and this
> nice that Fabio make it work :-)

What is the advantage of this?   The 44 .image files stored in the
repository take up 196MB, doubling the space.   I guess thats not a
big deal for a one time cost to clone the repository - for most of us
with wide bandwidths in the modern world.  But some places still have
limited bandwidth.

Also SSD are sometimes not so big, and maybe someone wants to compile
on a smaller system like as RasPi (although it can handle reasonable
sized storage cards.)

> Apparently there is some problems with some artifacts that have a
> double .zip extension.
>
>> Right now we have enabled all platform, object memory and bytecode set
>> combinations that I found build scripts for - most work, but OS X 64-bit
>> Sista is failing right now (32-bit works). At some point we'll have to
>> decide which combinations to put into the CI config as "allowed failures" to
>> get a green badge :)
>>
>> Another thing for those not familiar with Git: Right now the entire
>> repository is 360MB, including all history. Most of that is old images that
>> were at one point committed to SVN and that have been pulled into the
>> repository. We could clean those out (removing them from the history) to
>> make the repository smaller, but I felt ~400MB is still ok (albeit
>> technically over the Github quota. We'll see of they complain). I would like
>> to ask everyone to stop committing large binary files into the repository,
>> however. Git is simply not very suited to dealing with binaries.
>> If there is a need for that, Github has support for git-lfs, which offers 1GB of free
>> storage with a 1GB bandwith limit per month.

Initially I said... "Please, can we consider doing that.  1GB/1GB
seems ample, and $5/mth provides 50GB/50GB [1] (and you'd expect those
quotas to expand over time.) And a quick reference to how it works
[2]. However enabling lfs doesn't automatically convert existing
commits.  The recommend migration tool seems to be git-lfs-migrate
[3].  But history is rewritten, so any clones will need to be rebased
- so now at the start is probably the best time to do it !  "

But then I read lfs currently doesn't work properly with forked repos [4] [5]
Also early lfs versions seem to have had a performance issue [6],
but that may be recently solved [7].

btw, is anyone going to be using git-svn, or is everyone making the
big jump pure git?

In any case, I'm very glad to see the repo on git.  Thanks all that
helped make it happen, and Tim & Fabio for the work.

cheers -ben

[1] https://help.github.com/articles/billing-plans-for-git-large-file-storage/
[2] https://git-lfs.github.com/
[3] https://github.com/bozaro/git-lfs-migrate
[4] https://medium.com/@megastep/github-s-large-file-storage-is-no-panacea-for-open-source-quite-the-opposite-12c0e16a9a91#.omrd0qw6n
[5] https://github.com/github/git-lfs/issues/773
[6] https://www.bountysource.com/issues/21357625-git-lfs-is-unusable-slow-especially-on-windows
[7] https://developer.atlassian.com/blog/2016/04/git-lfs-12-clone-faster/

>> If we need more, we can look at
>> the different billing levels.
>>
>> If you're familiar with Git, the only new thing to watch out for is the
>> updateSCSSVersions script as described in the README. It's not relevant for
>> the CI, but your own binaries will only show correct versions if this script
>> runs at appropriate times.
>>
>> If you are not familiar with Git and don't care, there are scripts for
>> committing that should take care of everything as described in the README.
>> Again, let us know if anything doesn't work. The only difference vs SVN to
>> watch out for for you will be that the old scripts/svnci would commit your
>> changes to the server, whereas the scripts/gitci script only commits them
>> locally. You'll have to run `git pull` and `git push` to get them up to the
>> server.
>>
>> If you have any questions regarding the repository setup please don't
>> hesitate to ask. You shouldn't be able to break anything, since we've
>> disabled force pushes to both master and Cog (and thus any chance of
>> destroying history).
>
> What is favorite way of contributing for people outside the vm team ?
> pull-requests ?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Jakob Reschke-2

> btw, is anyone going to be using git-svn, or is everyone making the
> big jump pure git?

Correct me, but I think there is no point to using git-svn here
because the main repository will be the git one. git-svn allows one to
use the git interface and play around with local branches where the
main repository is svn.

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Ben Coman

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:45 AM, Jakob Reschke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> btw, is anyone going to be using git-svn, or is everyone making the
>> big jump pure git?
>
> Correct me, but I think there is no point to using git-svn here
> because the main repository will be the git one. git-svn allows one to
> use the git interface and play around with local branches where the
> main repository is svn.

Thanks.  I think I've misunderstood this the whole time, that you
could use svn commands against the github repository.
cheers -ben

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi All,

> On Jun 16, 2016, at 9:38 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Tim Felgentreff
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>
>> Very impressive work, Tim&Fabio ! The power of full-automation !
>>
>>> as of 7:30 UTC the entire history of the SVN up to SVN revision 3745 was
>>> migrated to GitHub. Automatic builds are running
>>> (https://ci.appveyor.com/project/timfel/vm/branch/Cog,
>>> https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/vm) and binary artifacts are uploaded
>>> (https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion#files).
>>
>> About uploading binary artifacts, this is something I asked and this
>> nice that Fabio make it work :-)
>
> What is the advantage of this?   The 44 .image files stored in the
> repository take up 196MB, doubling the space.

What are the images?  IIRC there are no images in the svn repo. The only big files are sources files for  various key squeak and Pharo releases.  Did I check in images in the images directory by mistake?  There should be nine there; they're to be downloaded and built/converted, not checked into the repository.

So please, list these image files here...

> [...]
>>> changes to the server, whereas the scripts/gitci script only commits them
>>> locally. You'll have to run `git pull` and `git push` to get them up to the
>>> server.
>>>
>>> If you have any questions regarding the repository setup please don't
>>> hesitate to ask. You shouldn't be able to break anything, since we've
>>> disabled force pushes to both master and Cog (and thus any chance of
>>> destroying history).
>>
>> What is favorite way of contributing for people outside the vm team ?
>> pull-requests ?
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Laura Perez Cerrato

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks a lot!

Meaning to ask the same question as Serge, what's the preferred way of collaborating for anyone who's not a contributor? forking and then submitting a pull request?

Cheers!

-Laura Perez Cerrato

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> changes to the server, whereas the scripts/gitci script only commits them
> locally. You'll have to run `git pull` and `git push` to get them up to the
> server.
>
> If you have any questions regarding the repository setup please don't
> hesitate to ask. You shouldn't be able to break anything, since we've
> disabled force pushes to both master and Cog (and thus any chance of
> destroying history).

What is favorite way of contributing for people outside the vm team ?
pull-requests ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Hi Laura, Hi Tim,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Laura Perez Cerrato <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks a lot!

Meaning to ask the same question as Serge, what's the preferred way of collaborating for anyone who's not a contributor? forking and then submitting a pull request?

thats on you, Tim, and I to update the README.md with a description of the contributor and change staging process.  I'm going to be checking out the repository for the first time in a few minutes.  I guess we can bat aroun drafts between us using git itself, but perhaps email would be more sensible ;-)

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> runs at appropriate times.
>
> If you are not familiar with Git and don't care, there are scripts for
> committing that should take care of everything as described in the README.
> Again, let us know if anything doesn't work. The only difference vs SVN to
> watch out for for you will be that the old scripts/svnci would commit your
> changes to the server, whereas the scripts/gitci script only commits them
> locally. You'll have to run `git pull` and `git push` to get them up to the
> server.
>
> If you have any questions regarding the repository setup please don't
> hesitate to ask. You shouldn't be able to break anything, since we've
> disabled force pushes to both master and Cog (and thus any chance of
> destroying history).

What is favorite way of contributing for people outside the vm team ?

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

johnmci

 OS X 64-bit
Sista fails

Need some pointers so I can debug this

Sent from my iPhone

<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Bert Freudenberg

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

On Jun 16, 2016, at 9:38 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is the advantage of this?   The 44 .image files stored in the
> repository take up 196MB, doubling the space.

What are the images?  IIRC there are no images in the svn repo. The only big files are sources files for  various key squeak and Pharo releases.  Did I check in images in the images directory by mistake?  There should be nine there; they're to be downloaded and built/converted, not checked into the repository.

So please, list these image files here...

Here's a list of all the blobs larger than 1 MB:

289eaa1573428ec1d31e5b1d0c672f1dd4389ff4 75830604 image/VMMaker-Squeak4.1.image
dae3895f5cb962ec205710e5e135af1fedadeb3e 35378778 sources/SqueakV46.sources
2c74b720358234a061e8a6fbcb4450684b917527 23188396 image/CogTrunk43.image
6021cb4306d88aca6e1dd1d1fa648b7b18afb346 22212014 image/CogTrunk43.changes
1c0d4671846802366fa00265b172fd57bc7f1e06 21110428 image/CogTrunk43.image
ecac4ad04095069bc697c4c2a2e1f858294a9811 20246864 platforms/iOS/vm/iPhone/iPhone.image
501a17b3af13bc384c3b7d09e9f045e519bd2990 14207204 image/VMMaker-Squeak4.1.image
47f32118be78eb4918384f4412539bcc7a8b676f 13537612 image/VMMaker-Squeak4.1.image
6602ee71ed2fd921ad23b4ad6cd69e70c453719c 13395572 image/VMMaker-Squeak4.1.image
b0db5cee8f4047fd5ca02f0910bbb4bad09e152d 8000008 FloatMathPlugin/testdata/log-large.dat
83ed67006c7e7ef741d14122bdd67f23a8f6667d 8000008 FloatMathPlugin/testdata/sqrt-large.dat
7ebaa30ee9f4f64dd82651646acb6f79a34eff20 8000008 FloatMathPlugin/testdata/exp-large.dat
7cfacf7f9a795c47f2077a02623d5120587b73a5 8000008 FloatMathPlugin/testdata/atan-large.dat
364dc80dc5e1e7f2a02c9c7030190da4f8ebea42 8000008 FloatMathPlugin/testdata/sin-large.dat
8d6d32a9a5ec14dfc40b255198d4c27f2b0e0a58 6948164 platforms/win32/third-party/dx9sdk/Lib/d3dx9dt.lib
2becfa74458d9c8124e704d1a1a4f7ac3615c59a 6225720 nsspurcogbuild/macbuild/build/CoreVM.build/CoreVM.pbxindex/symbols0.pbxsymbols
ffc9f0d8c9dcce47e80450f751bd8153f446d3eb 5959648 platforms/win32/third-party/dx9sdk/Lib/d3dx9.lib
4965f047c2cfcbac8fe0f117b2703d5d431c82fc 5549557 platforms/iOS/vm/iPhone/iPhone.changes
ca804ab97ede40e5a399b8252c8847a23e431d48 5249151 processors/ARM/gdb-7.10/opcodes/i386-tbl.h
04e86ba5ef6e2f17f2bbc469212dfd64ee92f2e6 4299471 processors/ARM/gdb-7.10/opcodes/m32c-desc.c
8d66e7b3f3d10585846476ac343627852530647a 4287774 platforms/iOS/vm/SqueakPureObjcCogVM.xcodeproj/johnmci.pbxuser
61e0ce4736dca3b7d5be29fe9ad70ff1be52502f 4061860 processors/ARM/gdb-7.10/opcodes/m32c-opc.c
3f039fa2a9694c8049b5ba54353993c6c36b067f 3901404 platforms/win32/third-party/dx9sdk/Lib/DxErr9.lib
e23bc8c971c834ae2793efd3f3ef9eabf490fe50 3309142 processors/ARM/gdb-7.10/sim/frv/model.c
747dce4e607d40bb596cf897ed41e0f8d6ac5e58 3129142 platforms/win32/plugins/FT2Plugin/freetype.a
8e0a3dd9550a78e6c4de99bb66348f203942f266 2904152 nsspur64src/vm/gcc3x-cointerp.c
dead491d0e30636474ff7a7cbdb15b84f4604638 2903895 nsspur64src/vm/cointerp.c
de51f985f55ec82538a9806d3dcef1fcd788cec7 2745979 spursistasrc/vm/gcc3x-cointerp.c
6fa7c5a4780c3e3d220e39d612572e708c9fddd2 2565876 spur64src/vm/cointerp.c
4d775921bd65ac10884de1d75a595052b7efb000 2549550 spur64src/vm/cointerp.c
4ff55f09936dc5e3bd31e6f869212b5ad6504bb1 2539136 nsspurstack64src/vm/gcc3x-interp.c
339e0fadfb07d7386e6940039c8c75904841795a 2538879 nsspurstack64src/vm/interp.c
25ef6ba9ac1305551024e651ae59fffa3c37b42e 2499583 nsspurstacksrc/vm/interp.c
408fd7522634a24e3100131466c9845c1e4aede5 2489223 spursrc/vm/gcc3x-cointerp.c
755e2901d955ee552537ba5257e37baa57026fbc 2467156 platforms/win32/third-party/dx9sdk/Lib/d3dx8dt.lib
207e1d8998b933ae6e9e8c95b49f5549c01abba7 2335480 build.macos64x64/xcode/CocoaTemplate/build/CocoaTemplate.build/CocoaTemplate.pbxindex/symbols0.pbxsymbols
440955ce2200921b12153427645b8b191f8519be 2190822 nsspurstacksrc/vm/gcc3x-interp.c
2eeab574645d321b7c82e9326e8ce6fca0ea90a6 2166050 spursistasrc/vm/cointerp.c
8305ff4c2132877d299251b2cf8ce0ef9e253f5e 2151212 platforms/win32/third-party/dx9sdk/Lib/d3dx8.lib
ac5b064ff1dab48e062b55abbf4ca062a2208ba4 2120346 nsspurcogbuild/macbuild/build/CoreVM.build/CoreVM.pbxindex/strings.pbxstrings/strings
34622fc8d020d258054f991209e02d300f51e4af 2097172 nsspurcogbuild/macbuild/build/CoreVM.build/CoreVM.pbxindex/strings.pbxstrings/control
0339985e008c6a3aef0f100b81c305185aa68a02 2038849 spurstacksrc/vm/interp.c
12738ed85962daaf6a8b9d1abd84753e743687f6 1979492 spursrc/vm/gcc3x-cointerp.c
92e95daf567930738b49a7ad87585c96623733fb 1884583 nsspurstacksrc/vm/gcc3x-interp.c
74a462dc2ab59214a0d4c6aee24f39a9616ea2ee 1883410 build.linux32ARM/asasm
3f03bc920c4b7ece1d0b1866c4e2370333a6f89e 1873776 nsspurstacksrc/vm/gcc3x-interp.c
2aca9a5c0f5e608a70db5cfc91a6a886666d245f 1862675 sistasrc/vm/cointerp.c
76bcfe783efb5c8cd347ab5fe540e53b18796a7a 1847830 src/vm/gcc3x-cointerpmt.c
67111059d939197a333ef99a0c3369a240d0607d 1847573 src/vm/cointerpmt.c
965a8b480996779d2345ca314707408c4471d808 1820909 spursrc/vm/gcc3x-cointerp.c
c07fff851d59be32a9a622c933ec3bfc99aadb8f 1813731 spursrc/vm/gcc3x-cointerp.c
0535c5a8bbc8cacb45444b63d1bb0fac4d8c945d 1805930 src/vm/cointerpmt.c
b32dd1706c9cb9243ab601bea5858ee4c4d35841 1775670 src/vm/gcc3x-cointerp.c
5bcff5e443fd9c85565424ce254dae35ebddc512 1766278 spursrc/vm/cointerp.c
fd22897bc5560fb323a53f1cfa70482a1041fea4 1740866 src/vm/cointerp.c
61e0ab62c5a681d2c3cebc8f07f2b19509b09fcd 1702387 processors/ARM/gdb-7.10/Makefile.in
fcf11dee7a4281cf55bf3ac934c03c65a2549da7 1651282 spurstacksrc/vm/interp.c
459c08ef533a0fa1d890c4cbf98677c821575eb6 1640494 spurstacksrc/vm/gcc3x-interp.c
37130b7b5654d6463ef9ae0c1cdc41557563ea6e 1606745 nscogsrc/vm/gcc3x-cointerp.c
e79dc6385d03bf4fb366ee2f0ab17a9a1da6fd92 1601274 src/vm/gcc3x-cointerpmt.c
63a0a45c3deba933fa3e8bf5e19fdba89c9f3382 1601017 src/vm/cointerpmt.c
b869bae1da98ed4f113b599569313384b618ba2f 1597168 nscogsrc/vm/gcc3x-cointerp.c
6ffe6d1c5cfc5437c9ad7546984435003955b967 1570257 processors/ARM/gdb-7.10/sim/testsuite/sim/bfin/se_all32bitopcodes.S
08049deb96d0c1ac13cc73783c5be49bdf9d6167 1545524 processors/ARM/gdb-7.6/Makefile.in
b204734be5f5ecac3359c59fc91bb57e87d686e2 1539831 src/vm/gcc3x-cointerp.c
516583bb2d3ab842905c2de5a64c1ae7da2cd02b 1533080 processors/ARM/gdb-7.10/sim/testsuite/sim/bfin/se_all64bitg0opcodes.S
0005172fb0f366b97ceb72659d96ff8ec7f3fc23 1465675 nscogsrc/vm/cointerp.c
88a8274c105c920e26e0d9604c721361a52fc83f 1463083 spurstacksrc/vm/interp.c
936576ff13fe06747798c82a4dd38361c4ab23d8 1346792 stacksrc/vm/gcc3x-interp.c
2e14536e7c96b802f76896455e7ba60c12d0dc89 1341859 stacksrc/vm/interp.c
02d4abfbda264e0293a77822b9557ae315697a55 1326768 stacksrc/vm/gcc3x-interp.c
17f186d5c7eb600b599725a88bf84cbb9ec2282a 1284776 platforms/win32/plugins/CameraPlugin/STRMBASE.lib
bf57ded9f7b284fe26e6a18faf456b3393aed98c 1275996 build.macos32x86/squeak.cog.spur/resources/FT2Plugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/FT2Plugin
b10adc6f89039843e66c4b876bed9049e309ef04 1255450 processors/IA32/bochs/build/macos/CWPro3_project.sit
e9dd77ab38f5db36a47b12b002fa3d6859c7339a 1238039 processors/IA32/bochs/configure
b5c75b9330c2a9ab779842894d95a2eabaa3ce1d 1200054 build.win32x86/newspeak.cog.spur/installer/InstallerBackground.bmp
bfa76e31a4107eaaca11851d3dc536fd9ab2da77 1171699 platforms/Mac
d9261fba5ba9e6898ffa31776938549e3ca507e2 1157317 spursistasrc/vm/cogitARMv5.c
ed6fe63fb4832f1c099e8149ef633d72d576b4e3 1153949 processors/ARM/gdb-7.10/opcodes/i386-opc.tbl
9844474fe8ea7082b12125d76c5e3b3a853b8d0d 1132761 processors/ARM/gdb-7.10/opcodes/m32c-opc.h
2b2201585be870860f6c480a1a95eb4f8c3a3509 1108303 stacksrc/vm/gcc3x-interp.c
4e31ed52ad15c7216bc0299794ba7388bd4c1a67 1069859 spursistasrc/vm/cogitIA32.c
46b20c4e6ef3e5c436938e7e2982017fd2b13d7e 1064268 nsspurcogbuild/macbuild/build/CoreVM.build/CoreVM.pbxindex/cdecls.pbxbtree
c36cc19ee1658d23886d93a73289048128c4ba95 1048596 build.macos64x64/xcode/CocoaTemplate/build/CocoaTemplate.build/CocoaTemplate.pbxindex/strings.pbxstrings/control
7fb702db78c6af71da3d1927a8b16ed6393df4ce 1045815 spursistasrc/vm/cogitMIPSEL.c
f9eebe49b93b9fe5ac9879f84f505caaee5e2521 1044784 spursistasrc/vm/cogitMIPSEL.c
d28406446edf029b9b389403d882c6ae581d1fb2 1043986 platforms/unix/config/configure
e7dbfe6af3567f7878b51c44806605012469ba47 1043820 platforms/Mac
126d45143fcb4ec0f4c79a7c8f2c215f9c5f491e 1041640 nsspur64src/vm/cogitX64.c
8c8384e04b343c2216e1b9244f3b60a73e289007 1017027 processors/ARM/gdb-7.10/sim/testsuite/sim/mips/mips32-dsp2.s

- Bert -

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Bert,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

On Jun 16, 2016, at 9:38 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is the advantage of this?   The 44 .image files stored in the
> repository take up 196MB, doubling the space.

What are the images?  IIRC there are no images in the svn repo. The only big files are sources files for  various key squeak and Pharo releases.  Did I check in images in the images directory by mistake?  There should be nine there; they're to be downloaded and built/converted, not checked into the repository.

So please, list these image files here...

Here's a list of all the blobs larger than 1 MB:

Thanks.  None of those image (or associated changes) files should exist in image/.  None of them exist in the svn repository.  How did they creep in?  Some who's already up and running might like to nuke them and commit them to the master asap.  To be clear

image/VMMaker-Squeak4.1.image
image/VMMaker-Squeak4.1.changes (if it exists)
image/CogTrunk43.image
image/CogTrunk43.changes

should exist.  Is this history pruning issue?  Ah, that's what must have happened.  They were in svn at one time, and so have got copied in as part of moving the entire history.  So... anyone know enough git internals to prune this part of the history?

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Eliot Miranda-2

Tim,

    this morning as I prepared to cone the repository I felt a rush of relief spread over me as I realised that I never haves to build and upload VMs again.  Thank you, thank you, thank you, everyone who encouraged and helped me in making this transition.  I am a happier human as a result.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 2:26 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bert,

>>> Here's a list of all the blobs larger than 1 MB:
>>

>> Thanks.  None of those image (or associated changes) files should exist in image/.  None of them exist in the svn repository.  How did they creep in?  Some who's already up and running might like to nuke them and commit them to the master asap.

>> To be clear
>>
>> image/VMMaker-Squeak4.1.image
>> image/VMMaker-Squeak4.1.changes (if it exists)
>> image/CogTrunk43.image
>> image/CogTrunk43.changes
>>
>> should exist.

Rather than existing in the repo, can a script download these?  Maybe
need a really *permanent* location to provide the real script to
download, so the download server/method can change in the future and
still work with old commits.

Is this history pruning issue?  Ah, that's what must have happened.
They were in svn at one time, and so have got copied in as part of
moving the entire history.  So... anyone know enough git internals to
prune this part of the history?

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2100907/how-to-remove-delete-a-large-file-from-commit-history-in-git-repository

You beat me to it.  I saw several other links all recommending  BFG
Repo-Cleaner.
cheers -ben

> [...]
>>> 7fb702db78c6af71da3d1927a8b16ed6393df4ce 1045815 spursistasrc/vm/cogitMIPSEL.c
>>> f9eebe49b93b9fe5ac9879f84f505caaee5e2521 1044784 spursistasrc/vm/cogitMIPSEL.c
>>> d28406446edf029b9b389403d882c6ae581d1fb2 1043986 platforms/unix/config/configure
>>> e7dbfe6af3567f7878b51c44806605012469ba47 1043820 platforms/Mac
>>> 126d45143fcb4ec0f4c79a7c8f2c215f9c5f491e 1041640 nsspur64src/vm/cogitX64.c
>>> 8c8384e04b343c2216e1b9244f3b60a73e289007 1017027 processors/ARM/gdb-7.10/sim/testsuite/sim/mips/mips32-dsp2.s
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>>

>> _,,,^..^,,,_
>> best, Eliot
>

> --
> _,,,^..^,,,_
> best, Eliot

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Hi Ben,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 2:26 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bert,

>>> Here's a list of all the blobs larger than 1 MB:
>>

>> Thanks.  None of those image (or associated changes) files should exist in image/.  None of them exist in the svn repository.  How did they creep in?  Some who's already up and running might like to nuke them and commit them to the master asap.

>> To be clear
>>
>> image/VMMaker-Squeak4.1.image
>> image/VMMaker-Squeak4.1.changes (if it exists)
>> image/CogTrunk43.image
>> image/CogTrunk43.changes
>>
>> should exist.

Rather than existing in the repo, can a script download these?  Maybe
need a really *permanent* location to provide the real script to
download, so the download server/method can change in the future and
still work with old commits.

Well, if anyone ever did need them they could always get them from the svn repository.  It isn't going away it just isn't being used for Cog any more.  But there images really are obsolete.

--
best, Eliot