Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi all,

we are all finished importing the VM repository to Github, migrating the scripts, and setting up automatic builds and hosting of binaries.  We want to switch over from SVN tomorrow morning at 7am UTC. At that point, Tim and Fabio will merge any remaining commits on the SVN repository between now and that time and any further development will take place on Github.  If possible, you may refrain from committing to SVN, as this will mean less work for Tim and Fabio.

The new repository is at https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/vm. The Cog branch is the new default branch and is still called Cog, this is the main focus of development. The old trunk branch has been renamed to "oldTrunk". The master branch will track the Cog branch and will be the repository integrated into for releases.

To get started, please refer to the updated README that is shown on the Github page.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot, Tim & Fabio

Re: [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

EstebanLM
whoohoo!

thank you very much :)

Esteban

On 15 Jun 2016, at 19:26, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

marcel.taeumel
Eliot Miranda-2 wrote
[...]

<https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/vm/blob/Cog/README.md> that is shown on the
Github page.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot, Tim & Fabio
Wohooo! :)

Best,
Marcel

Re: [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

timfelgentreff
Hi all,

as of 7:30 UTC the entire history of the SVN up to SVN revision 3745 was migrated to GitHub. Automatic builds are running (https://ci.appveyor.com/project/timfel/vm/branch/Cog, https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/vm) and binary artifacts are uploaded (https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion#files).

Right now we have enabled all platform, object memory and bytecode set combinations that I found build scripts for - most work, but OS X 64-bit Sista is failing right now (32-bit works). At some point we'll have to decide which combinations to put into the CI config as "allowed failures" to get a green badge :)

Another thing for those not familiar with Git: Right now the entire repository is 360MB, including all history. Most of that is old images that were at one point committed to SVN and that have been pulled into the repository. We could clean those out (removing them from the history) to make the repository smaller, but I felt ~400MB is still ok (albeit technically over the Github quota. We'll see of they complain). I would like to ask everyone to stop committing large binary files into the repository, however. Git is simply not very suited to dealing with binaries. If there is a need for that, Github has support for git-lfs, which offers 1GB of free storage with a 1GB bandwith limit per month. If we need more, we can look at the different billing levels.

If you're familiar with Git, the only new thing to watch out for is the updateSCSSVersions script as described in the README. It's not relevant for the CI, but your own binaries will only show correct versions if this script runs at appropriate times.

If you are not familiar with Git and don't care, there are scripts for committing that should take care of everything as described in the README. Again, let us know if anything doesn't work. The only difference vs SVN to watch out for for you will be that the old scripts/svnci would commit your changes to the server, whereas the scripts/gitci script only commits them locally. You'll have to run `git pull` and `git push` to get them up to the server.

If you have any questions regarding the repository setup please don't hesitate to ask. You shouldn't be able to break anything, since we've disabled force pushes to both master and Cog (and thus any chance of destroying history).

Thanks,
Tim & Fabio

On 15 June 2016 at 19:26, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Tim Felgentreff
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,

Very impressive work, Tim&Fabio ! The power of full-automation !

> as of 7:30 UTC the entire history of the SVN up to SVN revision 3745 was
> migrated to GitHub. Automatic builds are running
> (https://ci.appveyor.com/project/timfel/vm/branch/Cog,
> https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/vm) and binary artifacts are uploaded
> (https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion#files).

About uploading binary artifacts, this is something I asked and this
nice that Fabio
make it work :-)

Apparently there is some problems with some artifacts that have a
double .zip extension.

> Right now we have enabled all platform, object memory and bytecode set
> combinations that I found build scripts for - most work, but OS X 64-bit
> Sista is failing right now (32-bit works). At some point we'll have to
> decide which combinations to put into the CI config as "allowed failures" to
> get a green badge :)
>
> Another thing for those not familiar with Git: Right now the entire
> repository is 360MB, including all history. Most of that is old images that
> were at one point committed to SVN and that have been pulled into the
> repository. We could clean those out (removing them from the history) to
> make the repository smaller, but I felt ~400MB is still ok (albeit
> technically over the Github quota. We'll see of they complain). I would like
> to ask everyone to stop committing large binary files into the repository,
> however. Git is simply not very suited to dealing with binaries. If there is
> a need for that, Github has support for git-lfs, which offers 1GB of free
> storage with a 1GB bandwith limit per month. If we need more, we can look at
> the different billing levels.
>
> If you're familiar with Git, the only new thing to watch out for is the
> updateSCSSVersions script as described in the README. It's not relevant for
> the CI, but your own binaries will only show correct versions if this script
> runs at appropriate times.
>
> If you are not familiar with Git and don't care, there are scripts for
> committing that should take care of everything as described in the README.
> Again, let us know if anything doesn't work. The only difference vs SVN to
> watch out for for you will be that the old scripts/svnci would commit your
> changes to the server, whereas the scripts/gitci script only commits them
> locally. You'll have to run `git pull` and `git push` to get them up to the
> server.
>
> If you have any questions regarding the repository setup please don't
> hesitate to ask. You shouldn't be able to break anything, since we've
> disabled force pushes to both master and Cog (and thus any chance of
> destroying history).

What is favorite way of contributing for people outside the vm team ?
pull-requests ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Mariano Martinez Peck
This is very very cool. Thanks to all the people involved, and thanks Eliot for listening the "community's wishes".
I honestly thought it would take much longer or never happened. I am so glad to have been proven wrong!

Best,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 5:24 AM, Tim Felgentreff <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Laura, Hi Tim,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Laura Perez Cerrato <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks a lot!

Meaning to ask the same question as Serge, what's the preferred way of collaborating for anyone who's not a contributor? forking and then submitting a pull request?

thats on you, Tim, and I to update the README.md with a description of the contributor and change staging process.  I'm going to be checking out the repository for the first time in a few minutes.  I guess we can bat aroun drafts between us using git itself, but perhaps email would be more sensible ;-)

Cheers!

-Laura Perez Cerrato

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> locally. You'll have to run `git pull` and `git push` to get them up to the
> server.
>
> If you have any questions regarding the repository setup please don't
> hesitate to ask. You shouldn't be able to break anything, since we've
> disabled force pushes to both master and Cog (and thus any chance of
> destroying history).

What is favorite way of contributing for people outside the vm team ?
pull-requests ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Tim,

    this morning as I prepared to cone the repository I felt a rush of relief spread over me as I realised that I never haves to build and upload VMs again.  Thank you, thank you, thank you, everyone who encouraged and helped me in making this transition.  I am a happier human as a result.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 1:24 AM, Tim Felgentreff <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Laura,

we will update the README to carify this, but yes, the Github workflow
of forking and submitting pull requests should be preferred. The CI
will test all changes, we can discuss on the pull requests and so on.
People who continue to contribute will eventually be promoted to core
contributors so they can work on the main repository, but the nice
thing is that the workflow on Github with forks isn't actually very
different either :)

cheers,
Tim

On 16 June 2016 at 19:37, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Laura, Hi Tim,
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Laura Perez Cerrato
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> First of all, thanks a lot!
>>
>> Meaning to ask the same question as Serge, what's the preferred way of
>> collaborating for anyone who's not a contributor? forking and then
>> submitting a pull request?
>

> thats on you, Tim, and I to update the README.md with a description of the
> contributor and change staging process.  I'm going to be checking out the
> repository for the first time in a few minutes.  I guess we can bat aroun
> drafts between us using git itself, but perhaps email would be more sensible
> ;-)
>

>> Cheers!
>>
>> -Laura Perez Cerrato
>>
>> On 16 June 2016 at 06:10, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Very impressive work, Tim&Fabio ! The power of full-automation !

>>> About uploading binary artifacts, this is something I asked and this
>>> nice that Fabio
>>> make it work :-)
>>>
>>> Apparently there is some problems with some artifacts that have a
>>> double .zip extension.

>>> What is favorite way of contributing for people outside the vm team ?
>>> pull-requests ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> --
>>> Serge Stinckwich
>>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/
>>

> --
> _,,,^..^,,,_
> best, Eliot

Re: [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Karl,

On Jun 17, 2016, at 6:22 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Will Win x64 VM be built also ?

Not yet.  No one has done the work to produce this.  And because Microsoft in their infinite wisdom have chosen to make sizeof(long) = 4 in their 64-bit model, not 8 as everyone else has, means that we will have significant problems generating sources that will work.

[...]

As soon as there is a build script for one, yes :)

cheers,
Tim

On 17 June 2016 at 15:22, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Will Win x64 VM be built also ?
>
> Best,
> Karl
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> we are all finished importing the VM repository to Github, migrating the
>> scripts, and setting up automatic builds and hosting of binaries.  We want
>> to switch over from SVN tomorrow morning at 7am UTC. At that point, Tim and
>> Fabio will merge any remaining commits on the SVN repository between now and
>> that time and any further development will take place on Github.  If
>> possible, you may refrain from committing to SVN, as this will mean less
>> work for Tim and Fabio.
>>
>> The new repository is at https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/vm. The Cog
>> branch is the new default branch and is still called Cog, this is the main
>> focus of development. The old trunk branch has been renamed to "oldTrunk".
>> The master branch will track the Cog branch and will be the repository
>> integrated into for releases.
>>
>> To get started, please refer to the updated README that is shown on the
>> Github page.
>>
>> _,,,^..^,,,_
>> best, Eliot, Tim & Fabio

Re: [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

timfelgentreff
Hi Eliot,

it's funny that this problem seems to bite other VMs, too :) PyPy and
RSqueak have the same issue.

On 17 June 2016 at 16:17, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>

> On Jun 17, 2016, at 6:22 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Will Win x64 VM be built also ?
>

> Not yet.  No one has done the work to produce this.  And because Microsoft
> in their infinite wisdom have chosen to make sizeof(long) = 4 in their
> 64-bit model, not 8 as everyone else has, means that we will have
> significant problems generating sources that will work.
>
> Best,
> Karl
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> we are all finished importing the VM repository to Github, migrating the
>> scripts, and setting up automatic builds and hosting of binaries.  We want
>> to switch over from SVN tomorrow morning at 7am UTC. At that point, Tim and
>> Fabio will merge any remaining commits on the SVN repository between now and
>> that time and any further development will take place on Github.  If
>> possible, you may refrain from committing to SVN, as this will mean less
>> work for Tim and Fabio.
>>
>> The new repository is at https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/vm. The Cog
>> branch is the new default branch and is still called Cog, this is the main
>> focus of development. The old trunk branch has been renamed to "oldTrunk".
>> The master branch will track the Cog branch and will be the repository
>> integrated into for releases.
>>
>> To get started, please refer to the updated README that is shown on the
>> Github page.
>>
>> _,,,^..^,,,_
>> best, Eliot, Tim & Fabio

Re: [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Ben Coman

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 10:17 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Karl,
> Not yet.  No one has done the work to produce this.  And because Microsoft
> in their infinite wisdom have chosen to make sizeof(long) = 4 in their
> 64-bit model, not 8 as everyone else has, means that we will have
> significant problems generating sources that will work.

Hi Karl,

In the meantime, though highly experimental and likely to fail,
maybe you'd like to try a Linux x86 VM for Unbuntu On Windows...
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/commandline/wsl/about

Running GUI apps..
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3055403/windows/windows-10s-bash-shell-can-run-graphical-linux-applications-with-this-trick.html

Some benchmarks...
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows-10-lxcore&num=1

cheers -ben

Re: [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

timfelgentreff

Hi Ben and Karl

Wsl only runs ELF64 binaries anyway, so maybe we eventually just don't need to worry about 64bit Windows anymore :)

Am 17.06.2016 5:59 nachm. schrieb "Ben Coman" <[hidden email]>:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> we are all finished importing the VM repository to Github, migrating the
>> scripts, and setting up automatic builds and hosting of binaries.  We want
>> to switch over from SVN tomorrow morning at 7am UTC. At that point, Tim and
>> Fabio will merge any remaining commits on the SVN repository between now and
>> that time and any further development will take place on Github.  If
>> possible, you may refrain from committing to SVN, as this will mean less
>> work for Tim and Fabio.
>>
>> The new repository is at https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/vm. The Cog
>> branch is the new default branch and is still called Cog, this is the main
>> focus of development. The old trunk branch has been renamed to "oldTrunk".
>> The master branch will track the Cog branch and will be the repository
>> integrated into for releases.
>>
>> To get started, please refer to the updated README that is shown on the
>> Github page.
>>
>> _,,,^..^,,,_
>> best, Eliot, Tim & Fabio

> On Jun 17, 2016, at 6:22 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Will Win x64 VM be built also ?

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 10:17 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Karl,
> Not yet.  No one has done the work to produce this.  And because Microsoft
> in their infinite wisdom have chosen to make sizeof(long) = 4 in their
> 64-bit model, not 8 as everyone else has, means that we will have
> significant problems generating sources that will work.

Hi Karl,

In the meantime, though highly experimental and likely to fail,
maybe you'd like to try a Linux x86 VM for Unbuntu On Windows...
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/commandline/wsl/about

Running GUI apps..
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3055403/windows/windows-10s-bash-shell-can-run-graphical-linux-applications-with-this-trick.html

Some benchmarks...
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows-10-lxcore&num=1

cheers -ben

Re: [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Ben Coman
On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 6:20 AM, Tim Felgentreff
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ben and Karl
>
> Wsl only runs ELF64 binaries anyway, so maybe we eventually just don't need
> to worry about 64bit Windows anymore :)

Its only Win10, and it'll be a few years before Microsoft manages to
force upgrade everyone ;).  But maybe it will help streamline the
build system.
cheers -ben