Mthod List and FileOut

Shiro Ogawa-2
I am new to Dolphin and have just started using X6 Professional.
ClassBrowser's Method List Pane shows some methods in purple color, most
of methods are shown in black. Help does not explain the meaning of
colors. It seems purple colored methods are not included when a class is
filed out. Is there any way to include all the methods in File Out?

Thanks

Shiro Ogawa

Re: Mthod List and FileOut

Ian Bartholomew-21
Shiro

> I am new to Dolphin and have just started using X6 Professional.

Welcome.

> ClassBrowser's Method List Pane shows some methods in purple color, most
> of methods are shown in black. Help does not explain the meaning of
> colors.

The methods shown in black are contained in the same package as the
class.  The methods shown in purple are contained, as loose methods, in
a different package.

When a method is selected the status bar shows the package in which it
is defined.

 > It seems purple colored methods are not included when a class is
> filed out.

Do you know I've never noticed (or can't remember noticing) that before
:-)  I suppose I've never needed/wanted to file out complete system classes.

> Is there any way to include all the methods in File Out?

Yes.  Open up a workspace, select the category "All" in the centre view
of the browser and drag-drop onto the workspace.  That will copy _all_
the methods across. For a complete class you will need to do that three
times, once for the class definition (drag-drop from the class list),
one for instance methods and once for class methods.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me (limited validity).

Re: Mthod List and FileOut

Shiro Ogawa-2
Ian Bartholomew wrote:

> Shiro
>
>> I am new to Dolphin and have just started using X6 Professional.
>
> Welcome.
>
>> ClassBrowser's Method List Pane shows some methods in purple color,
>> most of methods are shown in black. Help does not explain the meaning
>> of colors.
>
> The methods shown in black are contained in the same package as the
> class.  The methods shown in purple are contained, as loose methods, in
> a different package.
>
> When a method is selected the status bar shows the package in which it
> is defined.
>
>  > It seems purple colored methods are not included when a class is
>> filed out.
>
> Do you know I've never noticed (or can't remember noticing) that before
> :-)  I suppose I've never needed/wanted to file out complete system
> classes.
>
>> Is there any way to include all the methods in File Out?
>
> Yes.  Open up a workspace, select the category "All" in the centre view
> of the browser and drag-drop onto the workspace.  That will copy _all_
> the methods across. For a complete class you will need to do that three
> times, once for the class definition (drag-drop from the class list),
> one for instance methods and once for class methods.

Thanks Ian, it works. But isn't "File Out" supposed to file out all the
methods belong to a class? What is Object Art's take on this?

Shiro

Re: Mthod List and FileOut

Blair McGlashan-4
"Shiro Ogawa" <[hidden email]> wrote in message

>>> Is there any way to include all the methods in File Out?
>>
>> Yes.  Open up a workspace, select the category "All" in the centre view
>> of the browser and drag-drop onto the workspace.  That will copy _all_
>> the methods across. For a complete class you will need to do that three
>> times, once for the class definition (drag-drop from the class list), one
>> for instance methods and once for class methods.
>>
> Thanks Ian, it works. But isn't "File Out" supposed to file out all the
> methods belong to a class? What is Object Art's take on this?

"File Out" will only include the methods defined in the package that owns
the class. Any extension methods (defined in other packages) are not filed
out. This is by design - the methods do not belong to the class or its
package, but to other packages.

To file out all methods in a class, regardless of package, you will have to
resort to running an expression such as:

    SourceManager default fileOut: <aClass> to: <aClass> fileOutName

But, why would you want to do this?

Regards

Blair

Re: Mthod List and FileOut

Shiro Ogawa-2
Blair McGlashan wrote:

> "Shiro Ogawa" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>>> Yes.  Open up a workspace, select the category "All" in the centre view
>>> of the browser and drag-drop onto the workspace.  That will copy _all_
>>> the methods across. For a complete class you will need to do that three
>>> times, once for the class definition (drag-drop from the class list), one
>>> for instance methods and once for class methods.
>>>
>> Thanks Ian, it works. But isn't "File Out" supposed to file out all the
>> methods belong to a class? What is Object Art's take on this?
>>

> "File Out" will only include the methods defined in the package that owns
> the class. Any extension methods (defined in other packages) are not filed
> out. This is by design - the methods do not belong to the class or its
> package, but to other packages.
>
> To file out all methods in a class, regardless of package, you will have to
> resort to running an expression such as:
>
>     SourceManager default fileOut: <aClass> to: <aClass> fileOutName
>
> But, why would you want to do this?
Quick way of making pretty print hard copy. I worked from .cls files
rather than means by SourceManager. Thanks for showing a way of using
SourceManager.

Shiro

> Regards
>
> Blair

Re: Mthod List and FileOut

Ian Bartholomew-21
Shiro,

> Quick way of making pretty print hard copy. I worked from .cls files
> rather than means by SourceManager.

My Printer goodies have a couple of packages that make printing a class
a bit easier. It adds a menu item, "Print Class", to the browser's class
  menu which opens a workspace containing the complete class.  This can
then be printed by using the "Print" option on the file menu.

In previous Dolphin versions it used to do some more formatting for the
printer (titles, different fonts etc) but I've never got round to seeing
how that can be done using Scintilla in Dolphin 6.

http://www.idb.me.uk
(may be a bit intermittent for a few days as I'm changing web hosts)

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me (limited validity).

Re: Mthod List and FileOut

Blair McGlashan-4
"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Shiro,
>
>> Quick way of making pretty print hard copy. I worked from .cls files
>> rather than means by SourceManager.
>
> My Printer goodies have a couple of packages that make printing a class a
> bit easier. It adds a menu item, "Print Class", to the browser's class
> menu which opens a workspace containing the complete class.  This can then
> be printed by using the "Print" option on the file menu.
>
> In previous Dolphin versions it used to do some more formatting for the
> printer (titles, different fonts etc) but I've never got round to seeing
> how that can be done using Scintilla in Dolphin 6.

Scintilla is not really designed for word processing tasks like that, but
rather to dynamically generate text formatting based on syntax analysis of
the text itself. You can manually apply styling to the text, either by
having a styler that holds the runs (as we do for the diffs view), or by
just calling the API, although the Dolphin wrapper won't give you much help
there. I think you'd be swimming against the tide a bit though.

You could just go back to RTF, but you'll have to do your own syntax
colouring, which is not hard from the parse nodes, but if you are going to
do that you might as well use another format such as HTML. Perhaps the most
flexible approach would be to write XML output, then there are various ways
to generate whatever output format you want (e.g. XSL/FO, or an XSLT to
HTML, etc). HTML is quite nice because you can create a linked browsable
document, but getting good printed output from it (from IE at least) is not
a pleasant experience :-).

Regards

Blair