Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

12

Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

Jeff Gray
So does anyone have ideas for what to print on our mugs etc? The pharo lighthouse logo and a web address? An inspirational pharo/ Smalltalk phrase maybe?
It would be cool if i were on the train and someone saw the sticker on my laptop and asked me about it. For that we'd need more than just the logo.

Thoughts?

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

Luc Fabresse
Hi all,

2013/6/10 Jeff Gray <[hidden email]>
So does anyone have ideas for what to print on our mugs etc? The pharo
lighthouse logo and a web address? An inspirational pharo/ Smalltalk phrase
maybe?
It would be cool if i were on the train and someone saw the sticker on my
laptop and asked me about it. For that we'd need more than just the logo.

Thoughts?

I made some experiments a while ago on this front but I never finished or made it real yet.
Something like attached and my idea of phrase:

Be light on fun with Pharo ;-)

Images intégrées 1
Cheers,

Luc

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

pdavidow
Being that 'Pharo' is very easily confused with the Pharos of ancient
'Build your best pyramid with the beacon of Pharo'

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

pdavidow
How about this phrase: 'Let Pharo set you free', with the allusion being
the biblical Pharo of Exodus (except this time around he's a really good
guy).
It's definitely a conversation starter...

Being that 'Pharo' is very easily confused with the Pharos of ancient
'Build your best pyramid with the beacon of Pharo'

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Jeff,

This is not fully related but in https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299
under "Media" category you can find lots of icons, logos, etc.

Cheers,

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

pdavidow
umm, how about making it a little Smalltalkish: '[Pharo free: self]
value'

Being that 'Pharo' is very easily confused with the Pharos of ancient
'Build your best pyramid with the beacon of Pharo'

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

Marcus Denker-4

On Jun 10, 2013, at 3:48 AM, Paul Davidowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about this phrase: 'Let Pharo set you free', with the allusion being
> the biblical Pharo of Exodus (except this time around he's a really good
> guy).
> It's definitely a conversation starter…

I don't know… sounds  a bit strange.

        Marcus

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

philippeback
"Enlightened Development" is over the top but fits with the "Pharo" moniker.
"Enlightened Developer" ever more I'd say.

"See the Light" also, but kinda cool.

The problem is that disparaging others isn't really working well.

"There is light at the end of the tunnel (and it is not a no exit sign...)"

"The Innovation Accelerator"

"More Power to You"

yadayada

Phil

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 10, 2013, at 3:48 AM, Paul Davidowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about this phrase: 'Let Pharo set you free', with the allusion being
> the biblical Pharo of Exodus (except this time around he's a really good
> guy).
> It's definitely a conversation starter…

I don't know… sounds  a bit strange.

        Marcus

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

Guillermo Polito
Maybe any from the Pharo manifesto[1]?

Pharo manifesto

  • Better for the better
  • Beauty to learn from
  • Not backward compatible
  • Clean, lean and fast

BTW, is the manifesto in the new issue tracker's wiki? i didn't find it...

Guille

Thanks Mariano. The logo will be core in our design I suspect

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

Luc Fabresse
Another possible moto:

Enlight your developer's life with Pharo

Cheers,

#Luc

2013/6/10 Jeff Gray <[hidden email]>
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
> Hi Jeff,
>
> This is not fully related but in
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299
> under "Media" category you can find lots of icons, logos, etc.
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Thanks Mariano. The logo will be core in our design I suspect

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

Jeff Gray
How about some code.
For a mug:

Object subclass: #Mug
        instanceVariableNames: 'coffee milk sugar'
        classVariableNames: 'Coffees'
        poolDictionaries: ''
        category: 'HotDrink'

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

Jeff Gray
I haven't checked the syntax, but something like:

|aMug|
aMug := Mug new fill.
aMug isEmpty isFalsle: [
   self drinkFrom: aMug
]

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

Nick Papoylias
Could not resist:

* pharo calmAsABomb
* pharo just doIt
* pharo: the right *trait* for the job
* Health Warning: Excessive use of our
reflective system can 'cause chronic headaches
* The best way to predict the future is to continously invent it
(paraphrasing Alan Kay -- pun with continuous integration)
* What if your objects where immortal ?
* Now seriously... We did OO even before disco ;)

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Jeff Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
How about some code.
For a mug:

Object subclass: #Mug
        instanceVariableNames: 'coffee milk sugar'
        classVariableNames: 'Coffees'
        poolDictionaries: ''
        category: 'HotDrink'

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

bahman
On 2013-06-10 04:05, Paul Davidowitz wrote:
> Being that 'Pharo' is very easily confused with the Pharos of ancient
> Egypt, perhaps we can capitalize on that with some catchy phrase like:
> 'Build your best pyramid with the beacon of Pharo'

Some wild suggestions:
1.  Pharo: Where your code lives on
2.  Pharo: Simply perfect
3.  Pharo: Concise & Precise
4.  Pharo: Make peace with your design
5.  Pharo: Where design morphs into perfect code
6.  Pharo: Where the bugs morph into butterflies
7.  Pharo: The KISS of OOP  (KISS referring to 'keep it simple, stupid'
--introduced by Butler Lampson IIRC.)
8.  Pharo: The breeze of simplicity

--
Bahman Movaqar  (http://BahmanM.com)
ERP Evaluation, Implementation, Deployment Consultant

Re: Mugs 'n' stuff - logo and message

Ben Coman

Paul Davidowitz wrote:
> umm, how about making it a little Smalltalkish: '[Pharo free: self]
> value'

My first thought was "Pharo, shining the way"
but perhaps also "Pharo new light shine"
and then of course you need an easter egg in Pharo such that executing
that statement in a Workspace brings up some cool animation.

Scene: an old tall-ship plastered with stickers of other programming
languages being driven by a storm towards the rocks!!!
Everyone on board running around in disarray.
 From the side a bright beam of light cuts through the mist, calming the
waters along an escape path towards a tall gleaming lighthouse and a
bountiful bay of palm trees, topless natives....
eerk! hmmmm.... just maybe a bit over the top?

Egypt reference is a bit of a stretch.

cheers -ben

Jeff Gray wrote:

> So does anyone have ideas for what to print on our mugs etc? The pharo
> lighthouse logo and a web address? An inspirational pharo/ Smalltalk phrase
> maybe?
> It would be cool if i were on the train and someone saw the sticker on my
> laptop and asked me about it. For that we'd need more than just the logo.
>
> Thoughts?

As well as mugs and larger stickers for the outside of a laptop, it
would be nice to have a very-small sticker much like Tier 1
manufacturers put on the inside of laptops...
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/2097/img20100903142414.jpg

Nick Papoylias wrote:
> Could not resist:
>
> * What if your objects where immortal ?

I like this one, but seems like it needs another part to complement it.

I heard a rumor that the Pharo/Squeak image contains some core object
instances that have been in existence back to the 1980's (eg nil, true,
false).   (Clarification anyone?)

Just brainstorming...
* Pharo: Immortal objects since 198x

hey! this is fun!

On Jun 10, 2013, at 4:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Nick Papoylias wrote:
>> Could not resist:
>>
>> * What if your objects where immortal ?
>>
> I like this one, but seems like it needs another part to complement it.
>
> I heard a rumor that the Pharo/Squeak image contains some core object instances that have been in existence back to the 1980's (eg nil, true, false).   (Clarification anyone?)
>

> Just brainstorming...
> * Pharo: Immortal objects since 198x
>
> hey! this is fun!

The problem is that Pharo (I guess Pharo 4) will bootstrap from scratch….

;-)

        Marcus

12