Mulitiple Monitor support

Charles A. Monteiro-2
I could have sworn I saw something a while back for multiple monitor
support. I thought it was a parcel but for some reason I have scanned my
VW distribution and I can't find it. I also tried the public repository
but my search strings did not yield anything.

Was I imagining things?

thanks

--
Charles A. Monteiro
http://wiki.nycsmalltalk.org
http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

RE: Mulitiple Monitor support

Steven Kelly
From: Charles A. Monteiro [mailto:[hidden email]]
> I could have sworn I saw something a while back for multiple monitor
> support. I thought it was a parcel but for some reason I have scanned
my
> VW distribution and I can't find it. I also tried the public
repository
> but my search strings did not yield anything.

I understand support was integrated some time between 7.1 and 7.4.1. My
old DualHead package is still in the public repository, and seems to do
no harm for me in 7.4.1. I haven't much tried how well things work
without it.

7.3 added goodies\parc\MultiMonitor.pcl, but this required an extra DLL.
The goodie disappeared in 7.4, so I guess the necessary changes got
integrated then. The release notes don't mention this, though.

Steve

Re: Mulitiple Monitor support

OCIT
does anybody know if Citrix "messes" with multiple monitor support?

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:53:49 -0500, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> From: Charles A. Monteiro [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> I could have sworn I saw something a while back for multiple monitor
>> support. I thought it was a parcel but for some reason I have scanned
> my
>> VW distribution and I can't find it. I also tried the public
> repository
>> but my search strings did not yield anything.
>
> I understand support was integrated some time between 7.1 and 7.4.1. My
> old DualHead package is still in the public repository, and seems to do
> no harm for me in 7.4.1. I haven't much tried how well things work
> without it.
>
> 7.3 added goodies\parc\MultiMonitor.pcl, but this required an extra DLL.
> The goodie disappeared in 7.4, so I guess the necessary changes got
> integrated then. The release notes don't mention this, though.
>
> Steve

Re: Mulitiple Monitor support

OCIT
the situation we have is one where are clients  have monitor
configurations 3 monitors per PC and then a second of 4 monitors per PC.
Not sure yet what the Citrix box config is yet. We don't have problems
with walk backs and we don't save on multiple monitor setups although the
app does know how it was placed on the real estate which is remembered
across sessions.

Anyhow, the issue is that if of VW windows is moved from the first monitor
to say that 3rd monitor that if one tries to engage a drop down for
example , the drop-down shows up in the real estate of the first monitor ,
not as if it were on the first monitor i.e. forgotten that it had moved
but actually closer to right edge of the monitor.

Mind you, this happened at the customers during their tests. BTW,
interesting to note that this is a multiple monitor situation which
involves multiple video cards i.e.  two dual head video cards. We ordered
a dual head card so that we can now get a grip on the multiple monitor
thing.

So more later :)

-Charles
http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:01:53 -0500, Sean Glazier <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Citrix can screw up multiple monitor support if the citrix box has 2
> monitors on it and the client has one. When you get into citrix it sends
> the
> display of one monitor over to you and that can give VW a walk back
> since it
> can not get a screen graphics context for a monitor that is supposed to
> be
> there. At least that is what I observed with on customer. The work
> around is
> to have one monitor on the citrix and client boxes for nor now so that an
> image saved lets say on a multi monitor box will then simply have windows
> that will be drawn on the edge. You might have to get the window on the
> windows toll bar at the bottom and left mouse click and move the windows
> into the visible region of the monitor you are working on. I don't think
> we
> have worked with all the variations of citrix and multi monitor
> configurations available.
>
> The biggest issue I saw was with an image saved on a multi monitor with
> windows on the second monitor, that when it was started on a citrix box
> with
> a one monitor client it would give a walk back on start up regarding the
> other open windows. You could close them and reopen the window and you
> were
> set. This was on a customers citrix set up I saw this.
>
> I have not set up the same scenario yet locally to take a look at the
> issue.
> The fix I think would be if you were saved on a multi monitor box and you
> come up with a window on a monitor that is not there then draw yourself
> on
> the one that is there.
>
> I think they solved their issue with some citrix configuration
> parameters. I
> don't know what those are since I have only used the clients and not the
> servers. I have not paid for getting a citrix server locally because they
> are not cheap and I have loads of other work I am doing. So the answer is
> yes but there are workarounds that you can apply by configuring the
> citrix
> server.
>
> HTH
>
> Sean

I'll get a better idea of things when the dual head video card gets here.
However, to be clear, the image save occurs on my PC and the only thing
that gets actually saved is a logon screen. As far as I know that always
pops up in the right place i.e. just off center the 1st monitor.

As far as cards we just bought a dual head AGP vga Matrox for $50.00.
Don't know if my current box has a second AGP slot i.e don't know if I'll
have something close to emulating what they have. My PC is not the latest
and greatest. A PIV , 2.xx ghz, so in that case we may need to buy a cheap
new clone. We also don't have a Citrix server. Wonder if its fair to test
with TightVNC or terminal services i.e. the screen manipulations are
probably similar especially to terminal services which I believe Citrix
may sit on top of.

-Charles

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:43:38 -0500, Sean Glazier <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You need to see which monitor is next to whom when the image is saved.
> When
> it comes back up the monitor that vw thinks is next to monitor 1 may not
> be
> the same when it wakes up. Those can be adjusted of which one maps to
> whom
> on the settings page for the monitors in windows. I am not sure how to
> see
> this issue since I don't have the equipment to try and really flush this
> out. I need to get myself a four monitor box essentially. Or rather a
> couple
> of boxes with different number of monitors on it so we can save on one an
> bring it up on another and see what happens.
>

> After this release I could try to work with you on it if I could get
> access
> to those platforms.  I would like to see this reproduced in front of me.
>

> Sean

Ralf Propach
Hi Charles,

can you get the value of Screen default getScreenDimensions
for this situation? It the position of the window on the 3rd monitor
inside one of the rectangles?

Ralf

--
Ralf Propach, [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 975 99 38   Fax: +49 231 975 99 20
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

Re: Mulitiple Monitor support

OCIT
yep, that type of analysis is in the works, unfortunately we are still as
we speak waiting for Fedex to deliver our dual head vga card. We did not
buy two upfront though. That will be next once I'm sure I have a box that
can handle two dual head cards. This is the manner my employer wants to
proceed. The other issue is faking out Citrix. Again, I believe I
mentioned that I was going to try to simply do terminal services since I
was told that Citrix sits on top of terminal services.

I'll let you all know how my tests go