Multi-threading?

Nick Payne-3
Any way to use genuine OS threads in Dolphin? I have an application using
some of the MS WNet* networking functions, and some of them can take a long
time (10-20 seconds) to return, during which time the application is
completely unresponsive. In C applications I spawn these calls in a separate
background thread using _beginthreadex so that the user interface doesn't
appear hung. Can I do this in Dolphin?

Nick

Re: Multi-threading?

Andy Bower
Nick,

> Any way to use genuine OS threads in Dolphin? I have an application using
> some of the MS WNet* networking functions, and some of them can take a
long
> time (10-20 seconds) to return, during which time the application is
> completely unresponsive. In C applications I spawn these calls in a
separate
> background thread using _beginthreadex so that the user interface doesn't
> appear hung. Can I do this in Dolphin?

Try defining the external DLL calls as being overlapped (that is, they run
on a separate thread started automatically inside the VM). See the Education
Centre topic at:

http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/EducationCentre4/htm/overlappedcalls.htm

Best Regards,

Andy Bower