Multiple Worlds (was Re: Can I use Projects in Pharo?)

Multiple Worlds (was Re: Can I use Projects in Pharo?)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
>I have never been able to distinguish my workplace from home. I therefore have just one place, where I both live and work. Instead, I frequently change countries. >Just (half) kidding ;-) lol! It seems like I (and the OP?) maybe never really "got" projects, and so never experienced the dark side. After this conversation, it seems clear that we're desiring a multiple-world feature (which projects could be used for in Squeak). Sean p.s. I'm glad we had this thread because I always wondered what the resistance to multiple worlds (how I thought of projects) was! It has been the biggest missing feature that prevented me from using Pharo for all my work, and has me split between a Pharo image for client development, and a Squeak image for everything else.
Sean

Re: Multiple Worlds (was Re: Can I use Projects in Pharo?)

Stéphane Ducasse
there is a key point in all this thread.
        we are not against ideas.
        We loved etoys and I did more presentations about it than probably 95% of the squeakers population
        now we do not like its implementation because it hurts us.
Same for projects. Simple.

Stef

On Jun 2, 2010, at 11:34 PM, DeNigris Sean wrote:

> >I have never been able to distinguish my workplace from home. I therefore have just one place, where I both live and work. Instead, I frequently change countries.
>
> >Just (half) kidding ;-)
>
> lol!
>
> It seems like I (and the OP?) maybe never really "got" projects, and so never experienced the dark side.
>
> After this conversation, it seems clear that we're desiring a multiple-world feature (which projects could be used for in Squeak).
>
> Sean
>
> p.s. I'm glad we had this thread because I always wondered what the resistance to multiple worlds (how I thought of projects) was!  It has been the biggest missing feature that prevented me from using Pharo for all my work, and has me split between a Pharo image for client development, and a Squeak image for everything else.

Re: Multiple Worlds (was Re: Can I use Projects in Pharo?)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
there is a key point in all this thread.
        we are not against ideas.
Ha ha, I never thought otherwise :)

Stéphane Ducasse wrote
        We loved etoys and I did more presentations about it than probably 95% of the squeakers population
        now we do not like its implementation because it hurts us.
Same for projects. Simple.
Yes, I got that.  That's why I forked this thread - to refocus on the multiple world feature, and away from the existing project implementation.

I'll add the mockup to my todo list (with key bindings at the top), but the immediate future will be working on a commercial project in Pharo - yay!

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Multiple Worlds (was Re: Can I use Projects in Pharo?)

Jochen Riekhof
Ok, found time to hack up a /very preliminary/ test class that allows me to switch between PasteUpMorphs by name. It would be nice if someone could tell me if what I did is reasonable (I did not use Squeak/Pharo for looong time).
It might e.g. well be that I use methods intended for Project that will go away soon

Just file in JRWorldManager  and evaluate in a workspace

JRWorldManager instance createOrSwitchToWorldNamed: 'JustAnotherWorld'.

you should be carried to a new empty world.

To switch back,  use

JRWorldManager instance createOrSwitchToWorldNamed: 'Pharo'.

(I hope that attachments work in this list).

Ciao

...Jochen

JRWorldManager.st (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Multiple Worlds (was Re: Can I use Projects in Pharo?)

Stéphane Ducasse
I really like the idea that your tried.

I tried in 1.1 and I got a beWorldForProject: is not understood.

But continue this sounds interesting.
and may be this is what people needs.

On Jun 3, 2010, at 9:11 PM, Jochen Riekhof wrote:

> JRWorldManager instance createOrSwitchToWorldNamed: 'JustAnotherWorld'.

Re: Multiple Worlds (was Re: Can I use Projects in Pharo?)

Jochen Riekhof

> I tried in 1.1 and I got a beWorldForProject: is not understood.

Hmm, I thought so, as you promised, all the old support for Squeak Projects goes away :-).

> But continue this sounds interesting.
> and may be this is what people needs.

Yep, I will.

Ciao