Multiple images on Windows interfere with each other

Multiple images on Windows interfere with each other

Wayne Johnston
Why is it when I have an image on my Windows machine where the UI is busy, that it makes any other image on my machine unresponsive (can't do anything in the UI)?  I've seen this in development images and packaged images.

My current machine has 4 processors, so when one image is doing something in the UI process, it shows as pegging one CPU (25% total CPU usage according to the Task Manager or Process Explorer).

I've seen it in many versions of VAST over the years (and even *between* versions of VAST), so I assume other people have seen it.  Perhaps the answer is common knowledge.

Re: Multiple images on Windows interfere with each other

Dusty-2
Is this the same version of VAST?

I've been running 5.5, 8.5 and now 8.5.2 concurrently and haven't experienced this problem.

KR

On Thursday, 11 October 2012 23:01:00 UTC+2, Wayne Johnston wrote:
Why is it when I have an image on my Windows machine where the UI is busy, that it makes any other image on my machine unresponsive (can't do anything in the UI)?  I've seen this in development images and packaged images.

My current machine has 4 processors, so when one image is doing something in the UI process, it shows as pegging one CPU (25% total CPU usage according to the Task Manager or Process Explorer).

I've seen it in many versions of VAST over the years (and even *between* versions of VAST), so I assume other people have seen it.  Perhaps the answer is common knowledge.

Re: Multiple images on Windows interfere with each other

Wayne Johnston
It happens between two images on the same version of VAST, but also between different versions of VAST.

Re: Multiple images on Windows interfere with each other

Hans-Martin Mosner-3
We have the same problem (VAST 8.6) and had it with all previous versions. It is not related to CPU usage, we also experience this when calling another app (via an OLE blocking call) from one of the images. The other one becomes totally unresponsive until the call finishes.
My suspicion is that there is some kind of global lock that is being shared by multiple running images/VMs.

Hans-Martin

Re: Multiple images on Windows interfere with each other

feldti
Yes, this happened over the years with all versions of VA (VAST) - I've seen here "interactions" between the VS-Debugger and a running VA image ... never understood, what happened there.

On the other hand I've a VA real headless program running for over a year now on my laptop and this one has never had any problems with other running programs.

Marten