Must watch: Alan Kay's Normal considered harmful

Must watch: Alan Kay's Normal considered harmful

Janko Mivšek
Dear Smalltalkers,

I see one of the goals of that mailing list also to "eye open" us to
think more visionary, long-term and over the horizon, to open ourselves
to those rare but so precious sparks in our brains to get a really fresh
new ideas and put them into a reality.

Alan Kay, our "father" is one which we need to listen again and again
and try to understand his ideas again and again, even if they are a bit
weird at the first moment. Because on the long run he is very right, so,
let we Smalltalkers spend some time for him to inspire us again with his
visions, whose were the foundation for all strength and elegance of
Smalltalk. And as you can see from this his talk, they are even more
valid and needed in our time, they are actually eternal!

        Madames et messieurs:
        Alan Kay: "Normal" Considered Harmful  (oct09)
        http://media.cs.uiuc.edu/seminars/StateFarm-Kay-2009-10-22b.asx

Shall we open a debate based on his ideas considering the current and
future state of Smalltalk? And inviting him to join?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Must watch: Alan Kay's Normal considered harmful

stephane ducasse-2
Janko
May be this is worth to consider that if some people would not have decided not to burn the disc pack again in 1979
Smalltalk would not exist today.

Now I'm convinced that Smalltalk has some challenges as you can see in my Smalltalks2009 keynote
        http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/Presentations/Pharo-IHaveADream.pdf
and that we can address them

        modularity
        scripting syntax