My Keynote at the Salta Conference

12

Re: My Keynote at the Salta Conference

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 9:54 AM horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
All of these are good ideas. But they deviate from my vision. At any rate, my
competition idea was a big hit in Salta, and I am committed to moving
forward with it.

Since nobody has stepped up to the plate, David Buck will try to find time
to code the competition. However, progress will be slow because of his busy
schedule.

And since David is not familiar with Pharo, we'll have to do the competition
in VisualWorks, after all. Perhaps in the next edition of the James
Robertson Memorial Programming Competition (hopefully in 2021 for the United
States), someone will port the VisualWorks code over to Pharo (hint, hint).

Hi Richard,

Please note that for the people that put the money might not be the same doing it in a commercial Smalltalk rather than an open-source one.
Sure, most commercial Smalltalks do offer open source licenses, but that's not the same as being an open source Smalltalk. So, I don't know what did you promise for the competition, but if it was with Pharo, it may be they only want Pharo or at least an open source Smalltalk.

Best,

Mariano

Re: My Keynote at the Salta Conference

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Sat, Nov 24, 2018, 10:27 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email] wrote:

[...]

I think, from GemTalk's perspective, we would *prefer* an open product like Pharo. But, the most important consideration is that the competition be successful.

Re: My Keynote at the Salta Conference

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Yes, as I told that would be a big deviation from the vision, but also a
way to bridge it with the community. Anyway making a pretty localized
competition in a Smalltalk variant for a particular population of a
specific country is also a way to promote Smalltalk and after done it
will bring lessons on efforts to results ratio and community involvement.

Cheers,

Offray

On 24/11/18 7:53, horrido wrote:

> [...]
>> lasting relationship with a powerful technology, Smalltalk, and the
>> friendly communities around it.
>>
>> ## How it will work
>>
>> Seasoned global Smalltalkers will propose a "tent", which is a set of
>> related campfire projects (one or many) directed towards newbies,
>> related with programming and coding, but also connected them with other
>> activities which recognize that people comes from different backgrounds,
>> have different interests and that an inclusive tech community is more
>> than code[2]. The projects will allow newbies to learn coding, but also
>> to express and connect it with wider concerns (documentation, civic
>> tech, entrepreneurship, gaming, learning, etc).
>>
>> [2] https://morethancode.cc/about/
>>
>> Interested campers will find the different tents where they can join and
>> the tent leader will prepare a set of (increasingly complex?) activities
>> for the members of the tent. Campers will work in the activities on a
>> weekly basis and setup and open source code repository for working
>> together.
>>
>> Coordination language for the Global Campfire will be English for tent
>> leaders, but campers can use native language for communication between
>> them and for some activities (local documentation, translations) as we
>> don't want to impose a unique language to become part of a community and
>> we recognize active Smalltalkers from around the world that can help
>> local communities, made them stronger and better connected.
>>
>> ## Tent medals
>>
>> Becoming part of a open collaborative community is mostly about being
>> able to help each other and how you and the community create value for
>> each other. So while this is not a competition, we recognize that small
>> money can be an important incentive to keep communities dynamic.
>>
>> At the end of the Campfire the community will provide with Member Badges
>> and Tent Medals which recognize the work done by all the participants
>> and also will give a small money incentive for the tent that made the
>> best work, so the tent can decide how to spend it better. The evaluation
>> will be done for each Tent leader, and also two external judges.
>>
>> The Tent Medals will be:
>>
>>   * 1 Gold Medal: XXX Dollars.
>>   * 1 Silver Medal: XYZ Dollars.
>>   * 1 Bronze Medal: ABC Dollars.
>>
>> ## Closing
>>
>> I really don't know about the details here: How do we assign the prices?
>> There is any better place that the one referred at [2] to showcase the
>> important of going beyond code in tech communities? What is the proper
>> duration for the Campfire? This is just a draft, but I think that this
>> is something I would like to volunteer for and serves better the need
>> for new people in our community, and can be also addressed from our
>> local context and particular projects while connecting more the global
>> community.

horrido
Indeed, Lorenzo Schiavina has expressed interest in modelling a similar
competition in Italy with my competition material! This was the vision I had
three years ago.

> [...]

>>> will be done for each Tent leader, and also two external judges.
>>>
>>> The Tent Medals will be:
>>>
>>>   * 1 Gold Medal: XXX Dollars.
>>>   * 1 Silver Medal: XYZ Dollars.
>>>   * 1 Bronze Medal: ABC Dollars.
>>>
>>> ## Closing
>>>
>>> I really don't know about the details here: How do we assign the prices?
>>> There is any better place that the one referred at [2] to showcase the
>>> important of going beyond code in tech communities? What is the proper
>>> duration for the Campfire? This is just a draft, but I think that this
>>> is something I would like to volunteer for and serves better the need
>>> for new people in our community, and can be also addressed from our
>>> local context and particular projects while connecting more the global
>>> community.

Of course, that's my preference, too, but I have to take whatever I can get.
I'm working against the clock and I need the very best help I can find.

And, yes, the most important consideration is success. The basic philosophy
I work with is this: A rising tide lifts all boats.

Richard Sargent wrote

> I think, from GemTalk's perspective, we would *prefer* an open product
> like
> Pharo. But, the most important consideration is that the competition be
> successful.
>

>> Best,
>>
>> --
>> Mariano
>> https://twitter.com/MartinezPeck
>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: My Keynote at the Salta Conference

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Well the important thing is that conversations like this are happening
and we, as a community are thinking in alternative ways to promote
Smalltalk, and scale such promotion, being by copying your vision, one
country at the time, to by using alternative ways.

I think these are important conversations.

Cheers,

Offray