My choice is to stay with the LGPL

Bruce Badger
Dear Swazoos,

I understand the desire held by some of the Swazoo community to use a
more permissive license for Swazoo - the MIT license people have been
discussing was chosen to make it very simple for anyone to reuse the
software in any way they see fit.

However, I chose to contribute to Swazoo because it was under a license
that guarantees that no one can take the software away from me (or from
you or from anyone else.)

I respect people's licensing choices for their own work and expect
others to do the same with my work. If you want to relicense the Swazoo
code base, you must remove my contributions.

Regards,
    Bruce Badger
http://www.openskills.org/

Re: My choice is to stay with the LGPL

Paolo Bonzini-2
Bruce Badger wrote:

> Dear Swazoos,
>
> I understand the desire held by some of the Swazoo community to use a
> more permissive license for Swazoo - the MIT license people have been
> discussing was chosen to make it very simple for anyone to reuse the
> software in any way they see fit.
>
> However, I chose to contribute to Swazoo because it was under a license
> that guarantees that no one can take the software away from me (or from
> you or from anyone else.)
>
> I respect people's licensing choices for their own work and expect
> others to do the same with my work. If you want to relicense the Swazoo
> code base, you must remove my contributions.

Bruce, I hope that you will work towards merging future Swazoo releases
into your own version, under the LGPL.  I would follow that one if it
proves to be more featureful, or faster: for GNU Smalltalk users,
independent of their number, having a MIT-licensed web server is of no
advantage since they have lots of LGPL-licensed code in their image
anyway (and BTW that's also the case for VW users that are interested in
Glorp).

Paolo

On 03/08/2008, Paolo Bonzini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bruce, I hope that you will work towards merging future Swazoo releases
>  into your own version, under the LGPL.

The drivers for Hyper are to continue to improve support for the
relevant standards, and to support people actually using the library.
I will certainly look at adding in code that we a) are permitted to by
the terms of the licenses and b) have an actual need for.

Do you have any concrete examples of things that could usefully be
added to or changed within Hyper?

BTW, I have picked up a couple of SUnit example from this list just of
late (many thanks to the people who posted them!).

All the best,
    Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/

Re: My choice is to stay with the LGPL

Michael Rueger-6
Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Bruce Badger wrote:

> Bruce, I hope that you will work towards merging future Swazoo releases
> into your own version, under the LGPL.  I would follow that one if it

I stayed out of this whole license discussion despite having a strong
opinion about it ;-)

One question though:
if someone takes improvements made to e.g. MIT licensed Swazoo code,
integrates it into Swazoo or whatever, thus turning it into LPGL'ed
code, then improvements to that code would be LPGL? That is, this then
becomes a one way street? And basically that would prevent the MIT
branch to make that improvement?
The only way to avoid that would be to make improvements always to the
MIT branch first, but as I understand the whole discussion, that is not
what the LGPL people want?

Michael

Re: My choice is to stay with the LGPL

Paolo Bonzini-2

> if someone takes improvements made to e.g. MIT licensed Swazoo code,
> integrates it into Swazoo or whatever, thus turning it into LPGL'ed
> code, then improvements to that code would be LPGL? That is, this then
> becomes a one way street? And basically that would prevent the MIT
> branch to make that improvement?

Not really.  The contributor of the improvement-to-LGPL-Swazoo is the
copyright holder, and so when they post it they can say "this is under
the MIT license".  Both the MIT and LGPL guys could then include it
whenever they see fit.

It's a little more complicated in Smalltalk because there are no things
such as patch files attached to e-mail messages (which would clearly
delimit the contributions), but it's doable.

However...

> The only way to avoid that would be to make improvements always to the
> MIT branch first, but as I understand the whole discussion, that is not
> what the LGPL people want?

... you're right that *the most practical way* is to always make
improvements on the MIT branch first.

Paolo