My idea of Metacello configurations for Pharo

My idea of Metacello configurations for Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks. I just wanted to write down my ideas of the Metacello configurations for our Pharo Images. The idea is to use Metacello to manage the dependencies and version of the packages, have a history of the releases and be more modular. You will be able to take a core image and easily load what you want.  We will have a ConfigurationOfPharo and that's what you will probably use. However, this conf depends and delegates to another configurations (the conf of each package). So, the first step is to make each little conf to work, and then, we focus in the pharo one.

So....lists of points:

 1) I have been writing several configurations so far. One configuration per external project that is loaded in Pharo Dev images. Examples: Shout, OCompletion, RefactoringBrowser, OmniBroswer, O2, etc..
The idea is to implement and be sure each of this conf is working before doing the ConfigurationOfPharo.

2) All configurations will be published here:  http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository
This repository is like the ibiblio for maven, or the Universe for the apt-get, or similar. In a near future we will have tools that work with this (Esteban Lorenzano is working in Loader for example).

3) Each configuration must be PERFECTLY loaded in a Pharo Core image without doing or installing nothing. To do this, I have to declare properly the dependencies.
This mean, that you will be able to take a core image load the ConfigurationOfShout for exameple, or OCompletion and you will be able to load it. Metacello will take care of all the dependencies.
You will also be able to install part of the project and not all (for example, only core or core + tests, or whatever).

4) I started with the Dev packages. We will do this test first to see if Metacello really help us in our project. If this goes well, then, in a second step, we will take care about the Web images.

5) I started with the 1.0 Dev packages. 1.1 is unestable and several external packages even don't load in it. So, will do 1.1 in a second step.

6) As there were no versions of Metacello in all the external projects, I started with 1.0 in ALL. Shout 1.0, OCompletion 1.0, RB 1.0, etc. This has nothing to do with Pharo 1.0. They are just the version number. And after this is released, we really need PLEASE, that the maintainers of those packages also creates the following versions for them.

7) I took as a base, the versions of the 10496 image. I have been using this image since in was release, 12 hours a day, and seems to be very stable to me. I mean, the version 1.0 of ConfigurationOfPharo will be like the 10496 image. When everything is done and working, create a new image will be very easy.

8) We need some features from Metacello which are in the todo list. So, we will have to wait a bit for them.

OK, that's all. What do you think?

Soon I will send an email for the configurations of all projects and will ask for help and feedback from their developers.

Cheers,

Mariano

Re: My idea of Metacello configurations for Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
sound great! Thanks for pushing that.
I think that this is the vision we have in mind and discuss during the sprint at Lille.

I think that having a loader/map for any project is the way to go.
Ideally a person should write its own configuration file and publish it to his own repo and also to the
MetacelloRepository.

so you are making 1.1 more credible because it was in the roadmap :)
Stef

On Dec 29, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> [...]
>
> 7) I took as a base, the versions of the 10496 image. I have been using this image since in was release, 12 hours a day, and seems to be very stable to me. I mean, the version 1.0 of ConfigurationOfPharo will be like the 10496 image. When everything is done and working, create a new image will be very easy.
>
> 8) We need some features from Metacello which are in the todo list. So, we will have to wait a bit for them.
>
> OK, that's all. What do you think?
>
> Soon I will send an email for the configurations of all projects and will ask for help and feedback from their developers.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano

Re: My idea of Metacello configurations for Pharo

Alexandre Bergel
Looks good!
You haven't mentioned unloading. This is an important topic in my
opinion.

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looks good!
You haven't mentioned unloading. This is an important topic in my
opinion.

Yes, that's true. I am 100% agree. However, these were my little next steps for the Metacello configurations for Pharo.
Regarding the unload, I really don't know who should provide that, Metacello ? Monticello ? Pharo it self?
Does someone know about this?  The main problem are the overrides  because you should go back to anothe version, and I don't know if you have it or you loose it.

Thanks

> [...]

> that the maintainers of those packages also creates the following
> versions for them.
>
> 7) I took as a base, the versions of the 10496 image. I have been
> using this image since in was release, 12 hours a day, and seems to
> be very stable to me. I mean, the version 1.0 of
> ConfigurationOfPharo will be like the 10496 image. When everything
> is done and working, create a new image will be very easy.
>
> 8) We need some features from Metacello which are in the todo list.
> So, we will have to wait a bit for them.
>
> OK, that's all. What do you think?
>
> Soon I will send an email for the configurations of all projects and
> will ask for help and feedback from their developers.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: My idea of Metacello configurations for Pharo

override is probably a problem for unloading. Maybe Stef's
substitution of PackageInfo will help.
But already having a solution for unloading a configuration that does
not override will be great.

Alexandre

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
override is probably a problem for unloading. Maybe Stef's
substitution of PackageInfo will help.
But already having a solution for unloading a configuration that does
not override will be great.

We don't have this already ? I thought we had that :(

On Dec 29, 2009, at 9:40 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> override is probably a problem for unloading. Maybe Stef's
> substitution of PackageInfo will help.

I do not think so since this is not my goal.
I do not want to replace MC just packageInfo.

> [...]
>>>
>>> 7) I took as a base, the versions of the 10496 image. I have been
>>> using this image since in was release, 12 hours a day, and seems to
>>> be very stable to me. I mean, the version 1.0 of
>>> ConfigurationOfPharo will be like the 10496 image. When everything
>>> is done and working, create a new image will be very easy.
>>>
>>> 8) We need some features from Metacello which are in the todo list.
>>> So, we will have to wait a bit for them.
>>>
>>> OK, that's all. What do you think?
>>>
>>> Soon I will send an email for the configurations of all projects and
>>> will ask for help and feedback from their developers.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Mariano

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: My idea of Metacello configurations for Pharo

Dale
Unloading isn't supported in Metacello, yet.

At various points in time in the past I have had unloading working in Metacello, from the perspective of using the dependency information to determine what packages should be unloaded and what order to unload things. But, I thought it was important to get all of the loading logic complete before attempting to deal with unloading issues.

I expect that I will be using Gofer to do the actual unloading (as it is used for the loading), so it isn't the intent of Metacello to handle overrides any better or worse than Gofer/MC does:)

Dale
> [...]

| > 7) I took as a base, the versions of the 10496 image. I have been
| > using this image since in was release, 12 hours a day, and seems to
|
| > be very stable to me. I mean, the version 1.0 of
| > ConfigurationOfPharo will be like the 10496 image. When everything
|
| > is done and working, create a new image will be very easy.
| >
| > 8) We need some features from Metacello which are in the todo list.
|
| > So, we will have to wait a bit for them.
| >
| > OK, that's all. What do you think?
| >
| > Soon I will send an email for the configurations of all projects and
|
| > will ask for help and feedback from their developers.
| >
| > Cheers,
| >
| > Mariano

| --
| _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
| Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
| ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: My idea of Metacello configurations for Pharo

EstebanLM
Unloading is a BIG problem, because of package overrides. I tried it a
little for Loader and became very frustrated, the whole system become
unstable in most of the unload cases (just the easiest ones are passing
without problem).
I think this functionality just can be achieved with package managers
like DeltaStreams or (maybe) MC2... I don't know if Stef work on
packages will be useful too. But until something like that cames to
Pharo, I would vote "no" to project unload (If my vote counts on
something, of course ;) ).

Cheers,
Esteban

On 2009-12-29 20:02:48 -0300, Dale Henrichs
<[hidden email]> said:

> [...]
> |
> | > is done and working, create a new image will be very easy.
> | >
> | > 8) We need some features from Metacello which are in the todo list.
> |
> | > So, we will have to wait a bit for them.
> | >
> | > OK, that's all. What do you think?
> | >
> | > Soon I will send an email for the configurations of all projects and
> |
> | > will ask for help and feedback from their developers.
> | >
> | > Cheers,
> | >
> | > Mariano

> | --
> | _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
> | Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
> | ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: My idea of Metacello configurations for Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
> Unloading is a BIG problem, because of package overrides. I tried it a
> little for Loader and became very frustrated, the whole system become
> unstable in most of the unload cases (just the easiest ones are passing

May be with atomic loading and unloading.
It would be easier
> I think this functionality just can be achieved with package managers
> like DeltaStreams or (maybe) MC2... I don't know if Stef work on
> packages will be useful too.

I do not think so for now I just want to replace packageInfo.
And since I have no time to work on it it is not making progress :(

> But until something like that cames to
> Pharo, I would vote "no" to project unload (If my vote counts on
> something, of course ;) ).

For now if we can systematically load well I would be really happy