My package will not save

Costas Menico
Hi,

I made a small package with D5. Two of the classes are just regular
classes under Object. The other one is a  Shell presenter subclass.
When the Shell presenter subclass is in my package I cannot save it. I
get a message in a window that there is a problem and to see the
pre-req's for help in debugging.

I also made a view for the presenter.

Also when I try to save the Dolphin MVP package I get a similar
message.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Costas

Re: My package will not save

Bruno Brasesco
> Any ideas?

Your's packages has cyclic prerequisites.

Open a "Package Browser" the select your package. Then select
"Prerequisites" tab.
With right button select "Show Status Icons" to know where is (are) the
cyclic prerequisite(s).

Regards
Bruno

Re: My package will not save

Costas
Yes that helped to find the problem. I still don't understand why this
would cause a problem though.

I had a method in RichTextEdit which refrenced SmalltalkWorkspace as
in the example below.

RichTextEdit>>someMethod
| myVar |
"................ other code ...................."
        myVar:=SmalltalkWorkspace name.
".........other code here............."

This causes havoc with the whole package system. Why would this be?
And what is the workaround if I needed to do this?

Regards,

Costas

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 21:09:40 -0300, "Bruno" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>> Any ideas?
>
>Your's packages has cyclic prerequisites.
>
>Open a "Package Browser" the select your package. Then select
>"Prerequisites" tab.
>With right button select "Show Status Icons" to know where is (are) the
>cyclic prerequisite(s).
>
>Regards
>Bruno

Re: My package will not save

Bruno Brasesco
> Yes that helped to find the problem. I still don't understand why this
> would cause a problem though.

If you have #someMethod (in yourPackage) and #someMethod is referenced by a
Dolphin method this cause a cyclic prerequisite. Package can NOT have cyclic
prerequisites and be saved. Because if you to install them later,
Which do you load first ?

Regards
Bruno

Re: My package will not save