My sample Seaside web-app..

Rick Flower
Hi all.. Sorry for being such a pest over the last days & weeks with
various Seaside/VW
issues!  Anyway, I thought I'd share with you all, my initial cut at a
vanilla web-application
that can be used as a starting point for your own web-app or as learning
material for
anyone new to the Seaside/Smalltalk environment.  I'd like to thank
Brian Brown for his
help with some overall design & layout issues (and remote debugging) as
well as to thanks
all of you as well!  With all of your help, I was able to get this
sample site up and going
fairly quickly (with my limited time). It's definitely been a learning
experience and I'll be
fine tuning this code for my real web-application in the coming weeks &
months.
Anyway, now that my reverse proxy (using Squid) is up and going,  I'm
all set to have
people try out my sample application...

My application uses the following features of Seaside/Smalltalk :

1) Seaside - New Canvas API for rendering html objects
2) Glorp - I've got some very rudimentary Glorp code for examination of
a user table for
    logging into the web app.  I've not really delved into the depth of
features that Glorp
    offers and will go down this path real soon as part of my other web
app task.
3) external CSS & GIF files -- I like using external files for css/gifs
since I can offload
    the Seaside web server from doing that task and leave it for my
proxy to do.

Keep in mind that this code is not visually very polished in terms of
what it presents as
that was not the main focal point of the exercise.. You can hit the
links at the top of the
pages and it will just render a line or two of text showing how the
links are put together
(once you see the code anyway), etc..   The site allows logins using the
"demo" user
and demo password which talks to a PostgreSQL database behind the scenes
using
Glorp.  Anyway, I now need to upload the package to the Cincom
repository I guess
(or is there some better place to put it?).

Anyway, here's the weblink -- and please let me know if you have
problems with it:

http://seaside-demo.ca-flower.com

-- Rick

Re: My sample Seaside web-app..

Rick Flower
By the way.. I had a problem with my reverse proxy rewrite script and my
site wasn't
serving my css files.. I've fixed it now, so if you saw pages without
any graphic or
background image, then you saw the problem..

-- Rick

Re: My sample Seaside web-app..

stephane ducasse
Hi rick

what would be really great is that if students or newbies could
access to the knowledge you accumulated :)

Stef
On 25 mars 06, at 03:32, Rick Flower wrote:

> Hi all.. Sorry for being such a pest over the last days & weeks
> with various Seaside/VW
> issues!  Anyway, I thought I'd share with you all, my initial cut
> at a vanilla web-application
> that can be used as a starting point for your own web-app or as
> learning material for
> anyone new to the Seaside/Smalltalk environment.  I'd like to thank
> Brian Brown for his
> help with some overall design & layout issues (and remote
> debugging) as well as to thanks
> all of you as well!  With all of your help, I was able to get this
> sample site up and going
> fairly quickly (with my limited time). It's definitely been a
> learning experience and I'll be
> fine tuning this code for my real web-application in the coming
> weeks & months.  Anyway, now that my reverse proxy (using Squid) is
> up and going,  I'm all set to have
> people try out my sample application...
>
> My application uses the following features of Seaside/Smalltalk :
>
> 1) Seaside - New Canvas API for rendering html objects
> 2) Glorp - I've got some very rudimentary Glorp code for
> examination of a user table for
>    logging into the web app.  I've not really delved into the depth
> of features that Glorp
>    offers and will go down this path real soon as part of my other
> web app task.
> 3) external CSS & GIF files -- I like using external files for css/
> gifs since I can offload
>    the Seaside web server from doing that task and leave it for my
> proxy to do.
>
> Keep in mind that this code is not visually very polished in terms
> of what it presents as
> that was not the main focal point of the exercise.. You can hit the
> links at the top of the
> pages and it will just render a line or two of text showing how the
> links are put together
> (once you see the code anyway), etc..   The site allows logins
> using the "demo" user
> and demo password which talks to a PostgreSQL database behind the
> scenes using
> Glorp.  Anyway, I now need to upload the package to the Cincom
> repository I guess
> (or is there some better place to put it?).
>
> Anyway, here's the weblink -- and please let me know if you have
> problems with it:
>
> http://seaside-demo.ca-flower.com
>
> -- Rick

Re: My sample Seaside web-app..

stephane ducasse
I typed in the password and I got a stack

Stef

On 25 mars 06, at 05:27, Rick Flower wrote:

> By the way.. I had a problem with my reverse proxy rewrite script
> and my site wasn't
> serving my css files.. I've fixed it now, so if you saw pages
> without any graphic or
> background image, then you saw the problem..
>
> -- Rick

Re: My sample Seaside web-app..

Michel Bany-3
Rick Flower a écrit :

> 3) external CSS & GIF files -- I like using external files for
> css/gifs since I can offload
>    the Seaside web server from doing that task and leave it for my
> proxy to do.

FWIW, I like Seaside supplying everything, stylesheets, graphics,
javascript, etc. This allows you to version
your application as a whole. This also ensures consistency between the
code and the stylesheets.
Enjoy,
Michel.

Re: My sample Seaside web-app..

Rick Flower
stephane ducasse wrote:
> I typed in the password and I got a stack

Strange.. It works fine for me.. Did you try it a second time and it did
the same thing?

Re: My sample Seaside web-app..

Rick Flower
stephane ducasse wrote:
> Hi rick
>
> what would be really great is that if students or newbies could access
> to the knowledge you accumulated :)

That's what I'm planning on doing -- releasing the source.. I'll see if
I can get it done sometime today and put
it up on the Cincom public store (if I can figure out how to do that).

-- Rick

Re: My sample Seaside web-app..

Rick Flower
Michel Bany wrote:

> Rick Flower a écrit :
>

>> 3) external CSS & GIF files -- I like using external files for
>> css/gifs since I can offload
>>    the Seaside web server from doing that task and leave it for my
>> proxy to do.
>>
> FWIW, I like Seaside supplying everything, stylesheets, graphics,
> javascript, etc. This allows you to version
> your application as a whole. This also ensures consistency between the
> code and the stylesheets.

Style sheets are easy to load in, and I've got no javascript..  Is there
anything special that needs to be done to
get the GIF's/jpegs loaded in?  If so, I can certainly do that and make
it more portable I suppose.

-- Rick

Re: My sample Seaside web-app..

Michel Bany-3

>> FWIW, I like Seaside supplying everything, stylesheets, graphics,
>> javascript, etc. This allows you to version
>> your application as a whole. This also ensures consistency between
>> the code and the stylesheets.
>>
> Style sheets are easy to load in, and I've got no javascript..  Is
> there anything special that needs to be done to
> get the GIF's/jpegs loaded in?  If so, I can certainly do that and
> make it more portable I suppose.

You need some extra parcels.
1. Grab the parcels at : ftp://mbany.ath.cx/SeasideWebDesignerTool.zip
(As a matter of fact, these parcels are on the VW distribution but are
slightly outdated)
2. Make sure that SeasideAsync is loaded in your image, this is needed
by the extra parcels.
3. Load the parcels from the zip into your image, SeasideImage first.
4. Visit http://localhost:8008/seaside/go/WebDesignerTool and follow the
instructions
HTH,
Michel.

Re: My sample Seaside web-app..

Rick Flower
Michel Bany wrote:
> You need some extra parcels.
> 1. Grab the parcels at : ftp://mbany.ath.cx/SeasideWebDesignerTool.zip
> (As a matter of fact, these parcels are on the VW distribution but are
> slightly outdated)
> 2. Make sure that SeasideAsync is loaded in your image, this is needed
> by the extra parcels.
> 3. Load the parcels from the zip into your image, SeasideImage first.
> 4. Visit http://localhost:8008/seaside/go/WebDesignerTool and follow
> the instructions
Michel,

I did as you suggested above with a brand-new VW (7.4nc) image for
testing it all out.. After I got the following all loaded up :

- Load SeasideSettings from Public repository
- Load Seaside from public repository
- Load SeasideAsync from public repository
- Load SeasideImage parcel from local directory (part of
SeasideWebDesignerTool)
- Load SeasideWebDesignerTool parcel from local directory
- Load Glorp from public repository

Now, when I try to create a new CSS library, it prompts for the library
name and I entered "MyWebApp" and hit the create button, it goes away
for a split second and come right back to the "A name for your library"
prompt again.. Once this occurs, I can't get back to the main CSS tab
listing the available libraries anymore without creating a new session..
Once I do get back to the main CSS tab, my new library is not there.. Am
I missing something else?  I don't see any complaints or other messages..
I did find the sample libs in the system browser and my "MyWebApp" is
missing..

Also -- is there an easy way to remove existing CSS libraries (or any of
the other types as well)?  Just in case I mess up.. Although I guess I
can just poke around in the system browser the old fashioned way to get
that job done..

-- Rick

Re: My sample Seaside web-app..

Michel Bany

On 01 Apr 2006, at 03:31 , Rick Flower wrote:

> Now, when I try to create a new CSS library, it prompts for the
> library name and I entered "MyWebApp" and hit the create button, it
> goes away for a split second and come right back to the "A name for
> your library" prompt again.. Once this occurs, I can't get back to
> the main CSS tab listing the available libraries anymore without
> creating a new session.. Once I do get back to the main CSS tab, my
> new library is not there.. Am I missing something else?  I don't
> see any complaints or other messages..

I had a look at the issue you are describing. I found out that
everything works as expected if you press the RETURN key rather than
hitting the Create button.

The application uses the #request: method for this dialog. The
#request: method calls a WAInputDialog component that uses the
#defaultAction: mechanism.
I am suspecting something to be broken in the #defaultAction: method,
after a new approach was recently introduced. Both Seaside Classic
and Seaside Canvas seem to be affected, since they are using the same
technique in the 2.6b1 version.

HTH,
Michel.