My work featured at Nature News!

Juan Vuletich-3

Hi Folks,

Satellogic was featured today at Nature News!
http://www.nature.com/news/earth-observing-companies-push-for-more-advanced-science-satellites-1.22034

I helped design and build the hyperspectral cameras in our satellites
Fresco and Batata. And I wrote the geometric and spectral processing
software for that image. This is not completely off topic, though: The
geometric software (image rectification and correction), the most
complex part of the processing, was written by me in Cuis Smalltalk, and
runs in a Cuis Smalltalk + OpenCL application.

Please share my joy today!

--
Juan Vuletich
www.cuis-smalltalk.org

Re: [Cuis-dev] My work featured at Nature News!

Hannes Hirzel

On 5/23/17, Hari Balaraman via Cuis-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Congratulations ! Go Juan!

+1
Hannes

> Hari
>
>> On May 23, 2017, at 11:47 AM, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Satellogic was featured today at Nature News!
>> http://www.nature.com/news/earth-observing-companies-push-for-more-advanced-science-satellites-1.22034
>>
>> I helped design and build the hyperspectral cameras in our satellites
>> Fresco and Batata. And I wrote the geometric and spectral processing
>> software for that image. This is not completely off topic, though: The
>> geometric software (image rectification and correction), the most complex
>> part of the processing, was written by me in Cuis Smalltalk, and runs in a
>> Cuis Smalltalk + OpenCL application.
>>
>> Please share my joy today!
>>
>> --
>> Juan Vuletich
>> www.cuis-smalltalk.org
>> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev
>> @JuanVuletich

Re: My work featured at Nature News!

Ben Coman

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 11:47 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Folks,

Satellogic was featured today at Nature News! http://www.nature.com/news/earth-observing-companies-push-for-more-advanced-science-satellites-1.22034

I helped design and build the hyperspectral cameras in our satellites Fresco and Batata. And I wrote the geometric and spectral processing software for that image. This is not completely off topic, though: The geometric software (image rectification and correction), the most complex part of the processing, was written by me in Cuis Smalltalk, and runs in a Cuis Smalltalk + OpenCL application.

Please share my joy today!

--
Juan Vuletich
www.cuis-smalltalk.org
@JuanVuletich

Its great to hear of joy in work.  It was interesting to read "The company announced in January that it would give researchers free access to its 30-metre-resolution hyperspectral data. These span optical and near-infrared wavelengths and can help track water pollution and oil spills, and monitor the health of forests and crops."

Is your geometric software useful dataset users?  Or is it just for preprocessing to prepare saleable data?
Is its available to end-users?  Or is it secret sauce?

cheers -ben

RES: My work featured at Nature News!

CdAB63

Congratulations !!!!! That´s what I call good news !!!

Re: My work featured at Nature News!

philippeback

Fantastic!

I am involved with these guys, maybe connecting the both of you could make sense.

Phil

[...]

timrowledge

> On 23-05-2017, at 8:47 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> Satellogic was featured today at Nature News! http://www.nature.com/news/earth-observing-companies-push-for-more-advanced-science-satellites-1.22034

Excellent!

More Smalltalk in space is always good. Aside from the Pi’s on the space station I’ve heard of several other satellites and recently met a neighbour that used to work on the CanadARM and used ObjectWorks/Smalltalk (so you can imagine how long ago that was) as part of that.

tim
Klingon Code Warrior:- 6) "Our competitors are without honor!"

Re: [Cuis-dev] My work featured at Nature News!

David T. Lewis

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:47:36PM -0300, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Satellogic was featured today at Nature News!
> http://www.nature.com/news/earth-observing-companies-push-for-more-advanced-science-satellites-1.22034
>
> I helped design and build the hyperspectral cameras in our satellites
> Fresco and Batata. And I wrote the geometric and spectral processing
> software for that image. This is not completely off topic, though: The
> geometric software (image rectification and correction), the most
> complex part of the processing, was written by me in Cuis Smalltalk, and
> runs in a Cuis Smalltalk + OpenCL application.
>
> Please share my joy today!

Congratulations Juan! As always your work is very impressive, and it
is good to see it recognized.

Dave

Re: My work featured at Nature News!

Eliot Miranda-2

> On May 23, 2017, at 8:47 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> Satellogic was featured today at Nature News! http://www.nature.com/news/earth-observing-companies-push-for-more-advanced-science-satellites-1.22034
>
> I helped design and build the hyperspectral cameras in our satellites Fresco and Batata. And I wrote the geometric and spectral processing software for that image. This is not completely off topic, though: The geometric software (image rectification and correction), the most complex part of the processing, was written by me in Cuis Smalltalk, and runs in a Cuis Smalltalk + OpenCL application.
>
> Please share my joy today!

Congratulations, man!  Great to hear you're being recognized.

> --
> Juan Vuletich
> www.cuis-smalltalk.org
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev
> @JuanVuletich

Re: My work featured at Nature News!

K K Subbu

This must the culmination of the work that you talked about in

  https://youtu.be/bgIwbx-eDcI

That is a lot of hard work over the past few years. Nice to see it rise
up the skies!

Congratulations! Bravo!  .. Subbu

On Tuesday 23 May 2017 09:17 PM, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Satellogic was featured today at Nature News!
> http://www.nature.com/news/earth-observing-companies-push-for-more-advanced-science-satellites-1.22034
>

> I helped design and build the hyperspectral cameras in our satellites
> Fresco and Batata. And I wrote the geometric and spectral processing
> software for that image. This is not completely off topic, though: The
> geometric software (image rectification and correction), the most
> complex part of the processing, was written by me in Cuis Smalltalk, and
> runs in a Cuis Smalltalk + OpenCL application.
>
> Please share my joy today!

Re: [Cuis-dev] My work featured at Nature News!

garduino

Congratulations Juan! Well deserved recognition!

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
@garduino

On 23/05/2017 01:15 p.m., Ben Coman wrote:

[...]

Yes. We hope to make a difference.

Is your geometric software useful dataset users?  Or is it just for preprocessing to prepare saleable data?
Is its available to end-users?  Or is it secret sauce?

cheers -ben

The image rectification and geolocation is used to produce the images most people can use. The idea is to go from pictures taken from the point of view of the satellite at the moment they were taken (each with a different perspective) and turn them into a map-like (or Google Maps like) geometry. This is especially important to be able to track the evolution of stuff at some point on Earth: you need images from different points in time, and they need to be able to "stack" them. You also need to know exactly where each pixel is located (i.e. latitude and longitude). End users don't need this software: the images we provide are already corrected.

There are various ways to do this in the industry. We are using a rather unusual approach and I have developed some novel techniques, that lets us do this with far less computational cost that usual. These is currently proprietary technology. I intend to be able to publish them as part of a Ph.D. thesis on C.S. in a not too distant future. I talked about all this at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgIwbx-eDcI&index=44&list=PLCGAAdUizzH027lLWKXh_44cGuEsay7-R and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx9dgLW9m7w&t=8s&list=PLCGAAdUizzH06AkHg6_UxZ6QZBgz84yAc&index=30 .

Juan Vuletich
www.cuis-smalltalk.org
@JuanVuletich

On 23/05/2017 01:32 p.m., [hidden email] wrote:
> Fantastic!
>
> I am involved with these guys, maybe connecting the both of you could
> make sense.
>
> http://proba-v.vgt.vito.be/en
>
> Phil

Thanks! I'll tell folks here.

Juan Vuletich
www.cuis-smalltalk.org
@JuanVuletich

Re: My work featured at Nature News!

kilon.alios

another great victory for Smalltalk, well done Juan keeping the dream alive and kicking :)

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 4:36 PM Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 23/05/2017 01:32 p.m., [hidden email] wrote:
> Fantastic!
>
> I am involved with these guys, maybe connecting the both of you could
> make sense.
>
> http://proba-v.vgt.vito.be/en
>
> Phil

Thanks! I'll tell folks here.