MyFirstComponent Bugged in Squeak Download

MyFirstComponent Bugged in Squeak Download

rhawley
Page: http://www.seaside.st/download
Clicking: Squeak Smalltalk
Then using MyFirstComponent
Produces the following error:

---------------------
Seaside Walkback

MessageNotUnderstood: WAComponent class>>subclass:instanceVariableNames:

Debug Proceed Full Stack

Possible Causes
you sent a message this type of object doesn't understand
Stack Trace
thisContext
WAComponent class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #subclass:instanceVariableNames:
self
WAComponent
aMessage
subclass: #MyFirstComponent instanceVariableNames: ''
exception
MessageNotUnderstood: WAComponent class>>subclass:instanceVariableNames:
resumeValue
nil
thisContext
WAWelcomeComponentCreator>>createComponent:
self
a WAWelcomeComponentCreator
componentName
#MyFirstComponent
userComponent
nil
thisContext
[] in WAWelcomeComponentCreator>>go
self
a WAWelcomeComponentCreator
componentName
#MyFirstComponent
component
nil
thisContext
BlockClosure>>repeat
self
[closure] in WAWelcomeComponentCreator>>go
thisContext
WAWelcomeComponentCreator>>go
self
a WAWelcomeComponentCreator
componentName
#MyFirstComponent
component
nil
New Session Configure Halos Profile Memory XHTML 4/14 ms
------------------

Another issue:

Note too that even though MyFirstComponent in the Pharo image, it is clumsy because the user has to enter a username in the Smalltalk environment window, but there is no warning of this in the browser._______________________________________________
seaside-dev mailing list

Re: MyFirstComponent Bugged in Squeak Download

Philippe Marschall
2010/11/5 Robert Hawley <[hidden email]>:

> Page: http://www.seaside.st/download
> Clicking: Squeak Smalltalk
> Then using MyFirstComponent
> Produces the following error:
>
> ---------------------
> Seaside Walkback
>
> MessageNotUnderstood: WAComponent class>>subclass:instanceVariableNames:
>
> Debug Proceed Full Stack
>
> Possible Causes
> you sent a message this type of object doesn't understand
> Stack Trace
> thisContext
> WAComponent class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #subclass:instanceVariableNames:
> self
> WAComponent
> aMessage
> subclass: #MyFirstComponent instanceVariableNames: ''
> exception
> MessageNotUnderstood: WAComponent class>>subclass:instanceVariableNames:
> resumeValue
> nil
> thisContext
> WAWelcomeComponentCreator>>createComponent:
> self
> a WAWelcomeComponentCreator
> componentName
> #MyFirstComponent
> userComponent
> nil
> thisContext
> [] in WAWelcomeComponentCreator>>go
> self
> a WAWelcomeComponentCreator
> componentName
> #MyFirstComponent
> component
> nil
> thisContext
> BlockClosure>>repeat
> self
> [closure] in WAWelcomeComponentCreator>>go
> thisContext
> WAWelcomeComponentCreator>>go
> self
> a WAWelcomeComponentCreator
> componentName
> #MyFirstComponent
> component
> nil
> New Session Configure Halos Profile Memory XHTML 4/14 ms
> ------------------

Interesting. That should be fixed in Seaside-Welcome-NickAger.23 but
that somehow isn't loaded.

> Note too that even though MyFirstComponent in the Pharo image, it is clumsy because the user has to enter a username in the Smalltalk environment window, but there is no warning of this in the browser._______________________________________________

Cheers
Philippe

Re: MyFirstComponent Bugged in Squeak Download

Nick

> Note too that even though MyFirstComponent in the Pharo image, it is clumsy because the user has to enter a username in the Smalltalk environment window, but there is no warning of this in the browser._______________________________________________

I'm happy to fix this. Should I handle the cross-dialect differences by adding Grease. In which case, which Grease object should I augment?

Pharo 1.1:
Author class>>#fullNamePerSe
Author class>>#fullName:

Squeak 4.1:
Utilities class>>#authorInitialsPerSe
Utilities class>>#authorName:

Suggested Grease interface

#isAuthorNameSet
#setAuthorName

Nick

Re: MyFirstComponent Bugged in Squeak Download

Julian Fitzell-2
The general pattern I'm advocating is to extend Grease first from the
package that requires the functionality (so in this case in the
Welcome package). As soon as we find multiple things using it, we can
move it and will have a better clue where to move it up to.

In either case, I suggest adding methods with a #seaside prefix
initially. If at some point we're confident with the interface and
feel it is generally useful, we can add non-prefixed versions and
deprecate the original methods to call the new ones.

Julian

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Nick Ager <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Note too that even though MyFirstComponent in the Pharo image, it is
>> > clumsy because the user has to enter a username in the Smalltalk environment
>> > window, but there is no warning of this in the
>> > browser._______________________________________________
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=610
>
> I'm happy to fix this. Should I handle the cross-dialect differences by
> adding Grease. In which case, which Grease object should I augment?
>
> Pharo 1.1:
> Author class>>#fullNamePerSe
> Author class>>#fullName:
> Squeak 4.1:
> Utilities class>>#authorInitialsPerSe
> Utilities class>>#authorName:
> Suggested Grease interface
> #isAuthorNameSet
> #setAuthorName
> Nick

Re: MyFirstComponent Bugged in Squeak Download

Nick
I've checked a fix in and marked the issue as fixed:

On 6 November 2010 14:10, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
The general pattern I'm advocating is to extend Grease first from the
package that requires the functionality (so in this case in the
Welcome package). As soon as we find multiple things using it, we can
move it and will have a better clue where to move it up to.

In either case, I suggest adding methods with a #seaside prefix
initially. If at some point we're confident with the interface and
feel it is generally useful, we can add non-prefixed versions and
deprecate the original methods to call the new ones.

I've added extension methods from *seaside-welcome

GRPlatform>>#seasideIsAuthorNameSet
self subclassResponsibility

GRPlatform>>#seasideSetAuthorName: anAuthorName
self subclassResponsibility

and the corresponding implementations in GRPharoPlatform

Nick

Re: MyFirstComponent Bugged in Squeak Download

Nick
Name: Seaside-Welcome-NickAger.31
Author: NickAger
Time: 6 November 2010, 7:08:27 pm
UUID: 49597167-15a0-4987-871e-ef619947be74
Ancestors: Seaside-Welcome-lr.30
Name: Seaside-Tests-Welcome-NickAger.4
Author: NickAger
Time: 6 November 2010, 7:10:14 pm
UUID: 94461362-de63-4e5c-a08a-11b547987bb3
Ancestors: Seaside-Tests-Welcome-lr.3