Mysterious problem in loading Pharo

Peter Kenny

Hello

I have a problem in loading Pharo images which, until yesterday, loaded without difficulty. All the images showing the problem are Pharo 6 with the Cog VM; older images do not seem to be affected.

The first sign of a problem is that, as soon as I start the image, the debug console appears, with several repeats of the message:

LoadLibrary(FT2Plugin.dll) (998: Invalid access to memory location.)

The other strange thing is that the appearance of some opened windows has changed. Most obviously, the three icons at the top left (close, minimise, expand) are very close together. Also, I think the print size has got a bit smaller, though this is not obvious.

I have recently reinstalled some components of Pharo and Moose, trying to solve my problems with PunQLite, so I wondered if I had fouled something up. To check, I made a completely new install of Pharo 6 (#60508) from the Pharo download page in a separate folder. When I start the image, both the strange things above are present, plus a debug window with the message; ‘FT2 Error: Freetype2 primitive failed’.

So it looks as though something has happened to my system which means that any Pharo 6 image will show these oddities. The images I have tried seem able to run some of my functions correctly, so it’s all to do with appearance.

I am running on Windows 10 with all recent updates. There was a major update of Windows late yesterday, so it may be that the problems appeared then. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

Re: Mysterious problem in loading Pharo

Peter Kenny

Hello

Just a bit of supplementary information. Examining the ‘Settings’ option, I see that freetype is shown as not available, ‘probably because the FT2Plugin is not installed’. Well the plugin is installed, but evidently the VM can’t locate it. Should I try to reinstall it? If so, where from?

Thanks

Peter Kenny

Peter Kenny

Re: Mysterious problem in loading Pharo

Ben Coman
Maybe revew recent Windows 10 updates...
http://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-view-installed-updates-on-windows-10-8-1-server-2012

cheers -ben

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 6:26 PM, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Well Windows is weird. I just shut down and re-booted the system, and the problems disappeared. Sorry to have bothered people.

Peter

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 1:15 AM, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well Windows is weird. I just shut down and re-booted the system, and the problems disappeared. Sorry to have bothered people.

Sometimes virus scanners interact badly with applications, so if it reoccurs a lot also try excluding Pharo directories.

cheers -ben

Peter

Re: Mysterious problem in loading Pharo

Peter Uhnak
I had this problem for several months (and still do), and so far I didn't manage to figure out what is the actual cause.

Sometimes it fixes itself (close Pharo and open again), sometimes opening it with different VM (and then reopen with the original) helps, and sometimes I have to restart system.

After I disabled Windows Fast Boot it is somewhat more infrequent (or rather it fixes itself without the need to restart).

But otherwise I might as well wave a magical wand. It is annoying but still better than then spending countless hours digging randomly and aimlessly in the VM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Peter

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 10:38:51PM +0800, Ben Coman wrote:

> Maybe revew recent Windows 10 updates...
> http://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-view-installed-updates-on-windows-10-8-1-server-2012
>
> cheers -ben
>
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 6:26 PM, PBKResearch <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >

> > I have a problem in loading Pharo images which, until yesterday, loaded
> > without difficulty. All the images showing the problem are Pharo 6 with the
> > Cog VM; older images do not seem to be affected.
> >

> > The first sign of a problem is that, as soon as I start the image, the
> > debug console appears, with several repeats of the message:
> >
> > LoadLibrary(FT2Plugin.dll) (998: Invalid access to memory location.)
> >
> > The other strange thing is that the appearance of some opened windows has
> > changed. Most obviously, the three icons at the top left (close, minimise,
> > expand) are very close together. Also, I think the print size has got a bit
> > smaller, though this is not obvious.
> >

> > I have recently reinstalled some components of Pharo and Moose, trying to
> > solve my problems with PunQLite, so I wondered if I had fouled something
> > up. To check, I made a completely new install of Pharo 6 (#60508) from the
> > Pharo download page in a separate folder. When I start the image, both the
> > strange things above are present, plus a debug window with the message;
> > ‘FT2 Error: Freetype2 primitive failed’.
> >

> > So it looks as though something has happened to my system which means that
> > any Pharo 6 image will show these oddities. The images I have tried seem
> > able to run some of my functions correctly, so it’s all to do with
> > appearance.
> >

> > I am running on Windows 10 with all recent updates. There was a major
> > update of Windows late yesterday, so it may be that the problems appeared
> > then. Does anyone have any suggestions?
> >

> > Many thanks
> >

> > Peter Kenny

Re: Mysterious problem in loading Pharo

Peter Kenny
Peter

I think the implication of your second para is that your last resort, re-booting the system, is always effective in fixing the problem. If so, while it is obviously a nuisance I think I can live with that. I think I have had this only once before - at least, I have seen the debug console in some context. But yesterday it happened simultaneously on two separate machines. So it all depends on how frequently it happens.

Peter Kenny

I had this problem for several months (and still do), and so far I didn't manage to figure out what is the actual cause.

Sometimes it fixes itself (close Pharo and open again), sometimes opening it with different VM (and then reopen with the original) helps, and sometimes I have to restart system.

After I disabled Windows Fast Boot it is somewhat more infrequent (or rather it fixes itself without the need to restart).

But otherwise I might as well wave a magical wand. It is annoying but still better than then spending countless hours digging randomly and aimlessly in the VM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Peter

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 10:38:51PM +0800, Ben Coman wrote:

> Maybe revew recent Windows 10 updates...
> http://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-view-installed-updates-on-windows-10-8-
> 1-server-2012
>
> cheers -ben
>
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 6:26 PM, PBKResearch <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >

> > I have a problem in loading Pharo images which, until yesterday,
> > loaded without difficulty. All the images showing the problem are
> > Pharo 6 with the Cog VM; older images do not seem to be affected.
> >

> > The first sign of a problem is that, as soon as I start the image,
> > the debug console appears, with several repeats of the message:
> >
> > LoadLibrary(FT2Plugin.dll) (998: Invalid access to memory location.)
> >
> > The other strange thing is that the appearance of some opened
> > windows has changed. Most obviously, the three icons at the top left
> > (close, minimise,
> > expand) are very close together. Also, I think the print size has
> > got a bit smaller, though this is not obvious.
> >

> > I have recently reinstalled some components of Pharo and Moose,
> > trying to solve my problems with PunQLite, so I wondered if I had
> > fouled something up. To check, I made a completely new install of
> > Pharo 6 (#60508) from the Pharo download page in a separate folder.
> > When I start the image, both the strange things above are present,
> > plus a debug window with the message;
> > ‘FT2 Error: Freetype2 primitive failed’.
> >

> > So it looks as though something has happened to my system which
> > means that any Pharo 6 image will show these oddities. The images I
> > have tried seem able to run some of my functions correctly, so it’s
> > all to do with appearance.
> >

> > I am running on Windows 10 with all recent updates. There was a
> > major update of Windows late yesterday, so it may be that the
> > problems appeared then. Does anyone have any suggestions?
> >

> > Many thanks
> >

> > Peter Kenny

Re: Mysterious problem in loading Pharo

Peter Uhnak
With fast boot I had experiences where the restart wasn't enough and I had to restart several times, but since I disabled fast boot restarting once was always enough... so usually the first thing I do when windows boots is to check if Pharo runs ok.

In some rare unclear circmustances (now I wonder whether it happened after sleep) it broke after some time... but that happened only two or three times in past ~6 months.

Also dual-booting increases the probability it seems... there were some correlated issues regarding time and network card, but nothing conclusive.

Peter

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:01:55AM +0100, PBKResearch wrote:

> Peter
>
> I think the implication of your second para is that your last resort, re-booting the system, is always effective in fixing the problem. If so, while it is obviously a nuisance I think I can live with that. I think I have had this only once before - at least, I have seen the debug console in some context. But yesterday it happened simultaneously on two separate machines. So it all depends on how frequently it happens.
>
> Peter Kenny

Herby Vojčík
It is a real problem (I was getting it in 100% of the cases, restart did not
help, restore of system disk image from last (this monday, so including the
recent update) helped.

What I wanted to point to, is, at stack overflow they mentioned this error
happens when dlls depend on each other, are loaded via LoadLibrary and
access their memory before they are actually loaded (something like that).

Maybe it would be beneficial to look at how dlls (especially in combination
with FT2Plugin.dll) are loaded, and somehow force some order there.

Herby

Herby Vojčík wrote:
> It is a real problem (I was getting it in 100% of the cases, restart
> did not help, restore of system disk image from last (this monday, so

s/from last/from last backup/