NBS-ISCC Color Names

KenDickey
Greetings,

I don't know if anyone is interested, but PharoInbox now contains a change
set, Graphics-KenDickey.131,  which adds Color names based on NBS-ISCC Color
Centroids as described in:

  http://people.csail.mit.edu/jaffer/Color/Dictionaries

After the change set has been filed in, one should invoke "Color
initializeNames" in a workspace.  "Color explore" and look at the pool
dictionary for swatches and details.

This set of Color names has the properties:

* explicit and non-restrictive copyright and license (below)
* no name conflicts between colors
* color names are specific to surface colors or lighting
* colors are distributed to equalize perceptual distances between them
and
* colors are derived from matching physical samples

In particular, the licence is

"
Copyright \251 2003 Voluntocracy.  Permission is granted to copy and
distribute modified or unmodified versions of this color dictionary
provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved
on all copies and the entire such work is distributed under the terms
of a permission notice identical to this one.
"

Cheers,
-KenD

-KenD

Re: NBS-ISCC Color Names

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Ken Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greetings,

I don't know if anyone is interested, but PharoInbox now contains a change
set, Graphics-KenDickey.131,  which adds Color names based on NBS-ISCC Color
Centroids as described in:

 http://people.csail.mit.edu/jaffer/Color/Dictionaries

After the change set has been filed in, one should invoke "Color
initializeNames" in a workspace.  "Color explore" and look at the pool
dictionary for swatches and details.

This set of Color names has the properties:

* explicit and non-restrictive copyright and license (below)
* no name conflicts between colors
* color names are specific to surface colors or lighting
* colors are distributed to equalize perceptual distances between them
and
* colors are derived from matching physical samples

Can we handle "white" being F2 F3 F4 rather than FF FF FF? This is like this because of some reason to do with printer gamuts.

Otherwise - good find! I'll be keeping the reference.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: NBS-ISCC Color Names

ken

it would really important that we get only MIT code in the image.
Now I do not really now how to handle these?
For now an external package would be nice.

stef
On Sep 17, 2009, at 2:16 AM, Ken Dickey wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I don't know if anyone is interested, but PharoInbox now contains a
> change
> set, Graphics-KenDickey.131,  which adds Color names based on NBS-
> ISCC Color
> Centroids as described in:
>
>  http://people.csail.mit.edu/jaffer/Color/Dictionaries
>
> After the change set has been filed in, one should invoke "Color
> initializeNames" in a workspace.  "Color explore" and look at the pool
> dictionary for swatches and details.
>
> This set of Color names has the properties:
>
> * explicit and non-restrictive copyright and license (below)
> * no name conflicts between colors
> * color names are specific to surface colors or lighting
> * colors are distributed to equalize perceptual distances between them
> and
> * colors are derived from matching physical samples
>

> In particular, the licence is
>
> "
> Copyright \251 2003 Voluntocracy.  Permission is granted to copy and
> distribute modified or unmodified versions of this color dictionary
> provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved
> on all copies and the entire such work is distributed under the terms
> of a permission notice identical to this one.
> "
>
> Cheers,
> -KenD

Re: NBS-ISCC Color Names

Damien Cassou
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> it would really important that we get only MIT code in the image.
> Now I do not really now how to handle these?

I think we should not include the code as such. Ken, could you please
ask the author if he wants to double-licensed his work? This is very
common.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: NBS-ISCC Color Names

KenDickey
>Michael van der Gulik <[hidden email]>
>Can we handle "white" being F2 F3 F4 rather than FF FF FF? This is like this
>because of some reason to do with printer gamuts.

It should already be thus (tell me if I made a mistake).

If you look closely, in Color>>initializeNames we find:
self
named: #pureWhite
put: (Color
r: 1.0
g: 1.0
b: 1.0).
in Color>>initializeNBSISCCNames3 find:

Color named: #White put: (Color fromString: '#F2F3F4').

Similarly for pureBlack and black.

To summerize, in Color>>initializeNames, the original white and black color values are renamed to pureWhite and pureBlack. The other values of Color>>initializeNames were left as is and the new NBS-ISCC color names then added. I believe that white and black were the only name collisions.

Sorry, I should have added this to the release notes.

-KenD

-KenD