NTLM and SSL

thomas....@natural-software.eu
Hi Everyone

I hope you have great days in Charlotte ;-)

I am trying to get access to the MS Exchange webservices and my first hurdle is NTLM authentification. After spending some time in trying to figure out the datastructures for the NTLM messages, I tried a different approach using the winhttp implementation from vastgoodies.

However, if I make a https call to the Exchange server (IIS server), I get a 12175 error from the OS. I can call other https sites so I believe https/ssl is working.

Does anyone have an idea on what it might be that I cannot access the IIS https server using winhttp? Thanks

--Thomas

Re: NTLM and SSL

Seth Berman
Greetings Thomas,

I can not answer your specific question regarding IIS error codes, but I'll point out that
part of what we are working on for 9.2 is a new Auth framework for Sst.
NTLM is being evaluated for inclusion in this framework for 9.2 since we have had some other customer queries for this.

Kind Regards,

Kind Regards,
- Seth

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 4:07:18 PM UTC+1, Seth Berman wrote:
NTLM is being evaluated for inclusion in this framework for 9.2 since we have had some other customer queries for this.

Kind Regards,

Kind Regards,
- Seth

Hello Seth

That is great news !!!! (Hope you do not have to fight too much with the "Message Type 3"....)

If you need help on this - I got quite far with the messages..

--Thomas

Re: NTLM and SSL

thomas....@natural-software.eu
Hi Everyone

I just wanted to share a short script in order to use the winhttp library from VASTGoodies and NTLM authentification. We use it access an MS Exchange Server. The biggest "hurdle" was to figure out that the domainname and username had to be in lowercase (whatever they are in the Windows AD)

 | session result url aWSStream status resultData |
 url
:= 'https://<server>/ews/Services.wsdl' winHttpAsUrl.

[
 session
:= WinHttpSession new.
 connection
:= session connectToUrl: url.
 request
:= connection openRequest: 'GET' to: '/',url absolutePath.
 request setSecurityOptionIgnoreBadCertificate
.
 request send
.
 result
:= request getResponse.

(result status code==200) ifFalse: [

"No authentification necessary, just return the data"

^ resultData := result contents.

].

(result status code==401) ifFalse: [

"Whatever this is, it is not NTLM authentification"

"Put your errorhandler here"

^ self.

].

"Domain and User have to be lowercase !!!!"
 request setCredentials

 request send
: nil withExtraHeaders: nil totalLength: 0.
 request responseReceived
: false.
 result
:= request getResponse.

(result status code==200) ifFalse: [

"Whatever this is...."

^ self.

].
 resultData
:= result contents.

] ensure [
 request ifNotNil
: [ :obj | obj release].
 connection ifNotNil
: [ :obj | obj release].
 session ifNotNil
: [ :obj | obj release].

].
 resultData inspect
.

Re: NTLM and SSL

rjuli...@gmail.com
Hi, Seth.

I just recently took on a new client whose EMail provider uses NTLM authentication.
So, I am very pleased to hear that this may be included in 9.2.

I thought I'd let you know, for purposes of judging the level of interest in this.

Julian

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 11:07:18 AM UTC-4, Seth Berman wrote:
[...]

Noted:)

Thanks for the feedback!

- Seth