Name Cloud Analysis in Moose

Zhe-Xi Lim
Hi,

I am new to Moose. What kind of analysis does the Utilities->Name Cloud offer to the user?
It seems like sometimes the spellings of results of Name Cloud are weird (i.e. nonam, talkin, etc.)

Thanks.

Regards,
Zhe-Xi

Re: Name Cloud Analysis in Moose

Tudor Girba
It simply shows a cloud of terms determined by tokenizing the names of the items in your group. The terms you see are given by a normalization of words using a classic stemming algorithm.

Doru

On Dec 14, 2010, at 17:04, Zhe-Xi Lim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Moose. What kind of analysis does the Utilities->Name Cloud
> offer to the user?
> It seems like sometimes the spellings of results of Name Cloud are weird
> (i.e. nonam, talkin, etc.)
>
> Thanks.
>

> Regards,
> Zhe-Xi

Re: Name Cloud Analysis in Moose

NorbertHartl

On 15.12.2010, at 06:45, Tudor Girba wrote:

It simply shows a cloud of terms determined by tokenizing the names of the items in your group. The terms you see are given by a normalization of words using a classic stemming algorithm.

Ah, good to scan the archives even if I don't have enought time to read. I'm looking for a stemming library. Can you point the quickest way to the source that is used in there? Does it cope with english only or is there more?

thanks,

Norbert

On Dec 14, 2010, at 17:04, Zhe-Xi Lim <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Moose. What kind of analysis does the Utilities->Name Cloud
offer to the user?
It seems like sometimes the spellings of results of Name Cloud are weird
(i.e. nonam, talkin, etc.)

Thanks.

Regards,
Zhe-Xi

Re: Name Cloud Analysis in Moose

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi Norbert

in VisualWorks adrian kuhn accessed to a stemming lib.
I could dive into it if you need it.

Stef

On Dec 23, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On 15.12.2010, at 06:45, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> It simply shows a cloud of terms determined by tokenizing the names of the items in your group. The terms you see are given by a normalization of words using a classic stemming algorithm.
>>
> Ah, good to scan the archives even if I don't have enought time to read. I'm looking for a stemming library. Can you point the quickest way to the source that is used in there? Does it cope with english only or is there more?
>
> thanks,
>
> Norbert
>>

>> On Dec 14, 2010, at 17:04, Zhe-Xi Lim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am new to Moose. What kind of analysis does the Utilities->Name Cloud
>>> offer to the user?
>>> It seems like sometimes the spellings of results of Name Cloud are weird
>>> (i.e. nonam, talkin, etc.)
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Zhe-Xi

Re: Name Cloud Analysis in Moose

simondenier

On 23 déc. 2010, at 10:57, Norbert Hartl wrote:

On 15.12.2010, at 06:45, Tudor Girba wrote:

It simply shows a cloud of terms determined by tokenizing the names of the items in your group. The terms you see are given by a normalization of words using a classic stemming algorithm.

Ah, good to scan the archives even if I don't have enought time to read. I'm looking for a stemming library. Can you point the quickest way to the source that is used in there? Does it cope with english only or is there more?

Hi Norbert

Take a look at the MooseAlgos project, especially package Moose-Algos-InformationRetrieval. Class MalStemmer. There is an English stemmer and apparently a German one. And tests should be green so take a look at them.

Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MooseAlgos';
project: 'ConfigurationOfMooseAlgos';
load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMooseAlgos) loadDefault.

thanks,

Norbert

On Dec 14, 2010, at 17:04, Zhe-Xi Lim <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Moose. What kind of analysis does the Utilities->Name Cloud
offer to the user?
It seems like sometimes the spellings of results of Name Cloud are weird
(i.e. nonam, talkin, etc.)

Thanks.

Regards,
Zhe-Xi

Simon Denier

Re: Name Cloud Analysis in Moose

Tudor Girba

You can find a couple of Stemmers in the Moose-Algos-InformationRetrieval (http://www.squeaksource.com/MooseAlgos). The one for English is MalPorterStemmer. There is one for German (MalGermanStemmer), but we have not really used it until now.

Cheers,
Doru

On 23 Dec 2010, at 11:18, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi Norbert
>
> in VisualWorks adrian kuhn accessed to a stemming lib.
> I could dive into it if you need it.
>
> Stef
>
> On Dec 23, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>

>> On 15.12.2010, at 06:45, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> It simply shows a cloud of terms determined by tokenizing the names of the items in your group. The terms you see are given by a normalization of words using a classic stemming algorithm.
>>>
>> Ah, good to scan the archives even if I don't have enought time to read. I'm looking for a stemming library. Can you point the quickest way to the source that is used in there? Does it cope with english only or is there more?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Norbert

www.tudorgirba.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

On 23.12.2010, at 11:18, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi Norbert
>
> in VisualWorks adrian kuhn accessed to a stemming lib.
> I could dive into it if you need it.

Do you know if the lib he was accessing was a smalltalk or a native lib?

Norbert

On 23.12.2010, at 11:29, Simon Denier wrote:

[...]

Thanks. "...apparently a German one..." is really good news because I'm looking for a german one.

Norbert

thanks,

Norbert

On 23.12.2010, at 11:30, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You can find a couple of Stemmers in the Moose-Algos-InformationRetrieval (http://www.squeaksource.com/MooseAlgos). The one for English is MalPorterStemmer. There is one for German (MalGermanStemmer), but we have not really used it until now.

Thanks Doru, I'll take a look right now.

Norbert

> On 23 Dec 2010, at 11:18, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi Norbert
>>
>> in VisualWorks adrian kuhn accessed to a stemming lib.
>> I could dive into it if you need it.
>>
>> Stef

>>> Ah, good to scan the archives even if I don't have enought time to read. I'm looking for a stemming library. Can you point the quickest way to the source that is used in there? Does it cope with english only or is there more?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Norbert

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

Re: Name Cloud Analysis in Moose

Tudor Girba
It is Smalltalk and Simon already ported it. This is what you find in MooseAlgos.

Cheers,
Doru

On 23 Dec 2010, at 11:35, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On 23.12.2010, at 11:18, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi Norbert
>>
>> in VisualWorks adrian kuhn accessed to a stemming lib.
>> I could dive into it if you need it.
>>

> Do you know if the lib he was accessing was a smalltalk or a native lib?
>
> Norbert

>>> Ah, good to scan the archives even if I don't have enought time to read. I'm looking for a stemming library. Can you point the quickest way to the source that is used in there? Does it cope with english only or is there more?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Norbert

www.tudorgirba.com

"No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."